First year student here to answer any questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evorage

Midwestern AZCOPT C/O 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’ve been on the forum for awhile and I thought I would offer my help to anyone that needs it!
If you have questions I’ll do my best to answer!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your honest opinion on the future of optometry? I'm starting to have second thoughts because I don't want to make a huge investment into a career that won't be what I expect it to be down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many volunteer and/or shadowing hours did you have?

How much will you be expecting to earn when you graduate?

I hope to make a reasonable salary at first. I’m in a position to possibly purchase my mentors practice when he retires in the future.

What is your honest opinion on the future of optometry? I'm starting to have second thoughts because I don't want to make a huge investment into a career that won't be what I expect it to be down the road.

I know there is a lot of doubt about the future of optometry and with reason. There are constant threats from legislation to online sales and “exams.” But it would take a pretty big failure from current ODs to let the profession fail.
That said, have you shadowed any ODs? I spent 6 years as an office manager and tech so I knew exactly what I was getting into for better or worse.

How many volunteer and/or shadowing hours did you have?

Don’t recall honestly on the volunteer hours but it wasn’t a lot. Shadowing was a lot due to my years in the field. I did spend some time at a lasik center watching procedures which was fun.

I'll rephrase my question. With your perspective, how much would a new grad expect to earn in say an urban market when you graduate?

When did you apply? Also what timeframe would you consider is early, middle and late in the application cycle? Thanks!

When did you apply? Also what timeframe would you consider is early, middle and late in the application cycle? Thanks!
Just to give my own input; Early is from when application opens (June 28) to September. Middle is from October to December/January. Late is February and after. But do keep in mind that some program deadlines are different.

How long did you spend studying for the OAT? Typically, do undergraduate students start studying their second semester of junior year?

I am writing my Oat next week, is it to late to apply? Im nervous because American schools are on rolling (Canadian student)