This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaBeta<3

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never realized how hard it was to graduate on time. I just sat down and planned out everything I need to graduate. Technically, I can complete all my requirements to graduate on time using 18 credits/semester. But next year (Jr year) for both semesters I want to take all science courses (18 credits/semester)

The only thing open so far is Spring semester, where I'll be taking 2nd semester bio and orgo (9 credits) I still need physics and biochem, but I don't want to take all of those courses along with orgo and bio, so I'm probably just going to take biochem this winter at a cuny and physics either the summer after graduating (prior to my (hopefully) matriculation to med school) or summer going into my senior year (but I was hoping to do summer research programs. And so many schools still require calc 2 to take Physics 2, which I don't have the time/money to take.

Any advice? Any NJ/NY schools you know that don't require Calc 2 as a prereq to Physics 2?

Members don't see this ad.

run away from calc and calc based physcis....

don't rush if it will hurt your gpa even a little bit

Reactions: 4 users
Rule 1: Take a Breath

1) you dont need Calc based physics for medical school
2) you need to take/finish physics before the MCAT
3) taking summer/winter courses is less than optimal, compressed biochem for MCAT may not be the best idea
4) you get into medical school by doing well, not squeezing everything into 4 years
5) Calc 2 isnt that vital, at this point I would say most schools will take/prefer a statistics course
6) Get an MSAR and see the school requirements for yourself
7) slow down, do well, take the time, and apply a year or two later is fine. Get the grades, get a good MCAT, and then you will get in

I just found algebra based physics at a CUNY, so I'll try taking that, thank you

I was just planning on self studying those two sections for around 9-10 months to prepare for the MCAT using the recommended books on here. I'm pretty good with standardized tests, but if I'm not scoring 506+ on the practice tests by the time it's close for me to take it, then I was going to just wait

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say put the MCAT off for a year, take it at then end of senior, do a gap year here in New Yawk (I am on Long Guyland). I mean if you can make it here....
Suffolk?

I just found algebra based physics at a CUNY, so I'll try taking that, thank you

I was just planning on self studying those two sections for around 9-10 months to prepare for the MCAT using the recommended books on here. I'm pretty good with standardized tests, but if I'm not scoring 506+ on the practice tests by the time it's close for me to take it, then I was going to just wait
This isn't recommended because a semester(s) worth of exposure to not only course material directly tested by the exam but also to more obscure pieces of info that may work their way into the exam (I had upper div biochem and psych material appear that were outside the given scope of the MCAT) as well as important "tricks" and tips that may come in handy.

That said, the EK manuals are fairly comprehensive and should prepare you well. Though, even more so if you've taken the relevant courses.

run away from calc and calc based physcis....

don't rush if it will hurt your gpa even a little bit
+1 on the statement, calculus based physics is only brownie points if you get in the A range... at my school, our calculus based physics (physics for engineers) class was filled with honors college students and engineers, and the average was between 80 to 86 on our midterms. Fortunately I fished out an A-, but still, it is too much pain for too little gain...

If you would like the challenge, SUNY Upstate prefers calc-based physics.

Sadly practically all our state schools require physics 2... most schools have gotten rid of the calculus 2 requirement but replaced it with Fundamentals of Statistics.

The only schools I know in NYS school that doesn't require a year of physics or a year of maths would be Nyu, (but they recommends those classes); and Albert Einstein at Yeshiva ...

I think mt. Sinai used to replace the prereq for physics with bioethics of you are part of their early assurance program... but they may have changed that

Personally, I never clicked with Exam Krackers. Hence, I will recommend Princeton Review and the Campbell's Biology textbook, I studied for 3 months (5 hrs/day), while doing 30 hrs/week of volunteerism and scored a 31 on the old MCAT as a sophomore, because of those books.

GL,

A Fellow NYSer

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
+1 on the statement, calculus based physics is only brownie points if you get in the A range... at my school, our calculus based physics (physics for engineers) class was filled with honors college students and engineers, and the average was between 80 to 86 on our midterms. Fortunately I fished out an A-, but still, it is too much pain for too little gain...

If you would like the challenge, SUNY Upstate prefers calc-based physics.

Sadly practically all our state schools require physics 2... most schools have gotten rid of the calculus 2 requirement but replaced it with Fundamentals of Statistics.

The only schools I know in NYS school that doesn't require a year of physics or a year of maths would be Nyu, (but they recommends those classes); and Albert Einstein at Yeshiva ...

I think mt. Sinai used to replace the prereq for physics with bioethics of you are part of their early assurance program... but they may have changed that

Personally, I never clicked with Exam Krackers. Hence, I will recommend Princeton Review and the Campbell's Biology textbook, I studied for 3 months (5 hrs/day), while doing 30 hrs/week of volunteerism and scored a 31 on the old MCAT as a sophomore, because of those books.

GL,

A Fellow NYSer
ty :)

I will add one final thing though...

I was able to get away with thus, because I crammed Intro Bio, Calculus, Gen Chem, Physics, O-Chem, Biochemistry, and Intro to Ant/Phys into two years. Thus, I had the background knowledge to understand it, Princeton review is practically a mini textbook. In addition, I blitzkrieged my MCAT, because I didn't feel like taking MCAT 2015.

Princeton Review will guarantee your knowledge of the material, but it is not intended for those who have no background information on the subjects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
more and more people are finding it difficult to get the major +/- minor they want (that is a plan B for jobs if med school don't happen), take the most comprehensive list of med school pre-reqs to open wide doors, even if there is significant overlap in major and pre-reqs, get mostly straight A's, and work part time, research, clincal exposure, and other ECs, all in a 4 year time span. Let go of that idea.

Slow and steady can win the race. I took mostly 12 credits a term to get straight A's and fit all of the above in. That's OK as long as your app shows you doing about 80 hrs a week of grueling productivity. I prioritized GPA by not overloading credits, and made up for that appearing to be slacking by using the time that freed up in productive ways.

What's worse is trying to do 18 credit terms, taking a GPA hit, and not having time for the other stuff schools want to see on your app. I know people who did this and it was like shooting themselves in the foot.

Yes, money is a consideration. If you are taking out loans for undergrad, I wouldn't worry about it because the amount of extra money you'll invest to attend more terms and do better and get into med school will be a drop in the bucket of the debt you'll likely accumulate going to med school.

I'm also the first to say get through the path to attending as fast as possible before life finds ways to **** with your path, like unexpected illness (the most common type! most illnesses are not expected it turns out), and here you'll see me say take the time to do it right.

Calc based physics is amazing! it teaches you a whole new level of problem solving skills and sifting through information given that other classes don't. I would have been very disappointed if i only took algebra based physics. Faraday's law without calc? B fields without calc? Work without calc? Gauss law without calc? Thermo without calc? kinematics without calc? Take calc based physics, it's what physics ACTUALLY is.