Five C's/4 are prereqs, sGPA: 3.33 cGPA:3.6 so far

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalward

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A 3.6 with the upward trend sounds promising. The sGPA wil hurt, so it might helpt o repeat the C- and the C. I'd say your chances at Stanford, UCSD and UCSF are shot, but the other UCs, Touro and Western are within reach. U NV, maybe.

Hello All,

I really would like to get an opinion from you guys.
So, I'm currently a 3rd year at a public California university (top 30s in US News, would like to stay anonymous), and would like to see what you think my chances are. Please be blunt, as I would really like to know.

I had a pretty rough first two years of college, and didn't get the best of grades. I really have no excuse for it other than the subjects I got C's on wasn't exactly something I did well on. I got 3 C+'s (Gen Chem I, OChem II and III/quarter system), 1 C (Gen Chem III), and 1 C- (Biochem I). I have completed all my prereqs, so everything else is A's and B's. I'm also a science major, meaning I still got a little less than two years worth of science classes to boost up that sGPA (applying to med schools right after graduation).

Other than academics, I would say the other parts of my app are looking pretty well. I'm in four organizations (leadership positions in two). I'm also a volunteer at a clinic that serves the underserved, and is involved in research, and the community.
I will also have strong LOR from research supervisors.

My overall sGPA right now is ~3.33 and I'm hoping to boost that up to 3.5 by the end of senior year; cGPA is ~3.6 (won't be a significant boost, maybe .5 or so). I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm sure it would be at least a 33.

I would really like SDN's opinions, whether I have a chance at MD schools despite all the C's I have gotten. I'm pretty sure those will be the only ones I'll ever get.

Also, I'm non-URM, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance. :)