FL residents: Defend MDAs by calling these senators!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshmir

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Please read the posts in another thread about the FL MDA v Nurse Anesthetist reversal, entitled " Florida House reverses Ortiz decision, now senate vote pending" and the upcoming senate vote on SB 1452)

(special thanks to toughlife, who provided the contact info)

good posts.

but instead of letting this be rhetoric, let's turn this into action- otherwise, you guys are part of the "MDA who do nothing and don't defend their turf"

call friends in FL and tell them to let their state senators know to support
SB 1452

this busy intern would like to see posts about *how to take action* as opposed to just why. if i wasn't on icu call i'd try to post some links. could some enterprising folk post a link for floridians to find email addresses and numbers of state senators in their district? instead, i will continue to say much, while doing little (except going back to sleep)

here are the names of the Fl state senators who are instrumental in reversing the Ortiz decision in FL: HB 629 (by Rep. Negron) and SB 1452 (by Sen. Argenziano)
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/email...rm.aspx?id=4212
http://www.nancyargenziano.com/contact.html

Members don't see this ad.

joshmir said:
(Please read the posts in another thread about the FL MDA v Nurse Anesthetist reversal, entitled " Florida House reverses Ortiz decision, now senate vote pending" and the upcoming senate vote on SB 1452)

(special thanks to toughlife, who provided the contact info)

good posts.

but instead of letting this be rhetoric, let's turn this into action- otherwise, you guys are part of the "MDA who do nothing and don't defend their turf"

call friends in FL and tell them to let their state senators know to support
SB 1452

this busy intern would like to see posts about *how to take action* as opposed to just why. if i wasn't on icu call i'd try to post some links. could some enterprising folk post a link for floridians to find email addresses and numbers of state senators in their district? instead, i will continue to say much, while doing little (except going back to sleep)

here are the names of the Fl state senators who are instrumental in reversing the Ortiz decision in FL: HB 629 (by Rep. Negron) and SB 1452 (by Sen. Argenziano)
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/email...rm.aspx?id=4212

better link: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/email_representative_form.aspx?id=4212

The CRNAs thank you for these links, as they will greatly benefit our cause.

Members don't see this ad :)
ether_screen said:
The CRNAs thank you for these links, as they will greatly benefit our cause.

My pleasure. it will benefit ours too.

toughlife said:

Here's a template that can be used to send to Rep. Negron in florida.

Dear Rep. Negron:

Thank you for you effort on sponsoring HB629 and for the tremendous support it received in the house.

I strongly believe that this bill is necessary to make sure that midlevels providers are appropriately supervised by qualified physicians in order to protect the public from substandard healthcare.

As you are aware, in FL there are some midlevel healthcare providers who have chosen to perform medical procedures and services under physicians who are not qualified to supervise them. A clear example of this are CRNAs or nurse anesthetists who deliver anesthesia in operating rooms or day surgery centers when the surgeon is not qualified to oversee their work. In the event of a complication, no one is available to take over and properly manage the patient to avoid life-threatening complication or even death.

I strongly believe that CRNAs need to be properly supervised by a qualified physician, in this case an anesthesiologist, who should be solely reponsible for the CRNA's work. It is ironic that CRNAs want to perform physicians' level work and yet they are not held to the same standards physicians are when it comes to liability. Allowing these individuals to continue with this practice means placing patients at risk and compromising the high level of care that the citizens of Florida deserve.

I applaud your courage and effort in bringing this issue to light and you can expect my full support and that of my colleagues in the medical community.

Sincerely.
(your name here)

Dear Senator Argenziano:

Thank you for you effort on sponsoring HB1452 and for the tremendous support it received in the house.

I strongly believe that this bill is necessary to make sure that midlevels providers are appropriately supervised by qualified physicians in order to protect the public from substandard healthcare.

As you are aware, in FL there are some midlevel healthcare providers who have chosen to perform medical procedures and services under physicians who are not qualified to supervise them. A clear example of this are CRNAs or nurse anesthetists who deliver anesthesia in operating rooms or day surgery centers when the surgeon is not qualified to oversee their work. In the event of a complication, no one is available to take over and properly manage the patient to avoid life-threatening complication or even death.

I strongly believe that CRNAs need to be properly supervised by a qualified physician, in this case an anesthesiologist, who should be solely reponsible for the CRNA's work. It is ironic that CRNAs want to perform physicians' level work and yet they are not held to the same standards physicians are when it comes to liability. Allowing these individuals to continue with this practice means placing patients at risk and compromising the high level of care that the citizens of Florida deserve.

The entire medical community in Florida awaits an equal support of this bill when it comes to the senate floor for a vote.

I applaud your courage and effort in bringing this issue to light and you can expect my full support and that of my colleagues in the medical community.

Sincerely.
(your name here)