Flame wars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ERMudPhud

Back for a visit
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the moderators should just create a board called "flame wars". Then cedricw could feel free to piss on the FMG's. Macgyver could piss on the mid levels and family practicioners. The allopaths could piss on the osteopaths. Surgery could piss on IM. IM could piss on surgery. Everyone could piss on EM and FP (feel free to add your own list of SDN pissing contests) Then whenever a new thread is clearly a troll for trouble or an old thread dissolves into a flame war it could be moved to the flame wars board and the rest of us could ignore it. That way no one gets banned, no threads get closed, no one gets hurt, and the rest of the boards don't turn into anarchy with new threads and new usernames constantly popping up to replace the banned ones.

Full disclosure: I am an allopathic MD/PhD board certified in EM with a grant funded basic science research program. I have thus never felt threatened by midlevels, FMG's, IMG's, DO's, surgery, IM or the lucky charms leprechaun and have therefore not felt the need to piss on any of them .:D

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ERMudPhud
Perhaps the moderators should just create a board called "flame wars". Then cedricw could feel free to piss on the FMG's. Macgyver could piss on the mid levels and family practicioners. The allopaths could piss on the osteopaths. Surgery could piss on IM. IM could piss on surgery. Everyone could piss on EM and FP (feel free to add your own list of SDN pissing contests)

No, that seems to be most of them! The real bad flame wars occur between:

MD vs. DO
MD vs. DC
MD/DO vs. RN/NP/PA
USMG vs. FMG/IMG/USIMG

Occasionally, also:

Surg vs. Gas
Derm vs. everyone else
Ivy Leaguers vs. everyone else

Everyone could piss on EM ...I am an allopathic MD/PhD board certified in EM with a grant funded basic science research program. I have thus never felt threatened by midlevels, FMG's, IMG's, DO's, surgery, IM or the lucky charms leprechaun ...

Was there a reason you needed to make a whole new thread just to let us know that you aren't insecure about being pissed on? And then name all the people who don't threaten you? And then happen to mention in that thread that you have a combined degree and are grant-funded? And why say that "everyone could piss on EM"?

I'm not an expert or anything, but note that nobody in, say, psychiatry or PM&R or pathology (the list goes on and on ...) is rushing to write that "everybody pisses on me, but I'm not insecure about it".

Just an observation.

Add kinetic vs. ERMudPhud to that list. :D

Funny how everything *can* turn into a flame war... +pissed+

And I am not sure why people just can't admit that:

Ivy Leaguers do better *in general* in the Match.
Surgeons *in general* control most things in the OR.
Derms *in general* make a lot more money without putting in as much time.
FPs *in general* make the least money among physicians.
USMGs *in general* do better than DOs, USIMGs and FMGs on USMLE and the Match (obviously, DOs don't usually take USMLE, but otherwise data shown elsewhere).
MD-PhDs *in general* are more successful in getting grants than MDs.
URMs *in general* get lower scores.

Whenever you can categorize people into groups, there ARE ways to compare the groups by numerical averages. Whether the averages mean anything or not is debatable, but the differences in averages are true whether you like it or not. That's the beauty of statistics: they are there if they are real, but it's up to you to decide how you interpret the statistical differences. People at the upper end of the comparison are obviously more likely to recognize the difference than the people at the opposite end, and people in the overlap zone (if any) are likely to use themselves or be used as examples as how statistics aren't true.
It's like Jack Ryan said in Clear and Present Danger, you just have to one up them to stop the line of attack. If they ask if URMs have lower scores, you say, yes we do, we have lower scores, but somehow we are accomplishing much even with such low scores. If they ask if the USIMGs go to inferior schools, you say yes we do, we go to horrible schools, but we are still allowed into residency programs. It's unconventional (therefore not commonly seen on this board) but effective.

As for the fellow allopaths who think residency and physician jobs should be limited, we are the ones not involved in the legislation process to reverse laws that have allowed the influx of USIMGs and FMGs. AMA is grossly ineffective in getting our desires across, and we need more active political leadership to change the medical/political landscape of this country and our profession.

Perhaps the moderators should just create a board called "flame wars". Then cedricw could feel free to piss on the FMG's. Macgyver could piss on the mid levels and family practicioners. The allopaths could piss on the osteopaths. Surgery could piss on IM. IM could piss on surgery. Everyone could piss on EM and FP (

Shouldn't the board be called the "piss wars" board then?

Due to my overwhelming BPH, all of those anticholinergics I've been sucking down, or my aching paraphimosis, I just can't seem to summon up the force of stream that I could in my wild and wiley past.

Maybe I've just heard all of the arguments before, and I'm waiting for a fresh perspective.

So, I'll leave it to those of sound? mind and full bladder to continue the urination sensation that's sweeping the nation.

I have thus never felt threatened by midlevels, FMG's, IMG's, DO's, surgery, IM or the lucky charms leprechaun and have therefore not felt the need to piss on any of them .:D

I do feel threatened by those damn leprechauns. Should I come into your ED?

I also hate those damn leprechauns.

Now where the hell did my car keys go....

I second the motion for a "flame wars" board... A place for us to vent our anger where no one will get hurt or whiny.

Sc*ew you OP! There's no need for a damn f**king flame board you damn pu**y, ERMUDPOO. You are so stoopid, all you EM types do is triage, you c***suc*ers and call us REAL doctors to admit your patients you sorry piece of s***.

Q, DO

QuinnNSU said:
Sc*ew you OP! There's no need for a damn f**king flame board you damn pu**y, ERMUDPOO. You are so stoopid, all you EM types do is triage, you c***suc*ers and call us REAL doctors to admit your patients you sorry piece of s***.

Q, DO
Emergency Medicine Resident PGY-1.5

Um, if you realize that a lot of people feel this way about EM people, why not ask yourself why?

What's so abstract?

$5 to whoever names a group that is usually immune from flame wars. I can't think of any.

RedBlanket...whining is just anger forced through a small hole.

-Todd MS-IV

ERMudPhud said:
Perhaps the moderators should just create a board called "flame wars". Then cedricw could feel free to piss on the FMG's. Macgyver could piss on the mid levels and family practicioners. The allopaths could piss on the osteopaths. Surgery could piss on IM. IM could piss on surgery. Everyone could piss on EM and FP (feel free to add your own list of SDN pissing contests) Then whenever a new thread is clearly a troll for trouble or an old thread dissolves into a flame war it could be moved to the flame wars board and the rest of us could ignore it. That way no one gets banned, no threads get closed, no one gets hurt, and the rest of the boards don't turn into anarchy with new threads and new usernames constantly popping up to replace the banned ones.

the podiatry forum, where almost every thread is a flame war

ERMudPhud said:
Full disclosure: I am an allopathic MD/PhD board certified in EM with a grant funded basic science research program. I have thus never felt threatened by midlevels, FMG's, IMG's, DO's, surgery, IM or the lucky charms leprechaun and have therefore not felt the need to piss on any of them .:D

That's terrific! Now open up and prepare for the deluge as I begin stream initiation...

Blade28 said:
The moderators? :)
Nope. I got pissed at MDMom once and started a thread about her.

Desperado said:
I do feel threatened by those damn leprechauns. Should I come into your ED?

Last night, had someone threatened by the pink snakes in her house. Kind of funny. No leprechauns yet, although had a pt that looked like a garden gnome.

mike

QuinnNSU said:

Q, DO
:confused:
I thought this thread was pretty funny - VERY entertaining at least. I'm really confused, though. Why is an EM resident (who seems very nice, by the way) writing something like the above quote? Is there something my medical school fried mind isn't getting!?! Any help for the morning-mentally challenged would be appreciated :oops:

aphistis said:
It was a joke--one EM resident cursing another one out. Reference "sarcasm," "clever irony," etc.

I actually can't stand MD/Ph.D's. I think they're all pompous and snooty.

Now, DO/Ph.D"s on the other hand are where its at!!!!!! :love:

Q, DO
:p

DO/PhDs are where MD/DCs are at...