Flexmed 2016: Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.reginaphalange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, but I've been lurking for the better part of a year now, so I thought I'd finally join. I recently applied to the Icahn FlexMed program (submitted Jan 15, 2016) and I was wondering if anyone would help with my chances/any feedback. I'd love to reciprocate as well!

College: Not Ivy League, but definitely a selective university
Year/Major: Sophomore/Math major, film studies minor
SAT: 2300 (780 W, 770 M, 750 CR)
HS GPA: It was out of a 100 for us, so 96.0 UW (I was also salutatorian, if that matters at all)
College GPA: 3.84 (I have taken two semesters of chem, one of orgo, bio, and physics, and am currently taking biochem and second semester of physics, so by the end of this semester, I just have one semester of bio left)
College EC's: Undergraduate researcher in computational chemistry lab, member of Film Series, Math Society, and BUILD India (focuses on global development), did SAT tutoring last year at a local high school
Other EC's: I am EMT certified (applying to be part of university's EMS club, will probably find out if I got in some time this semester), I have a film blog (unsure if this matters), I am a Neubauer Scholar at my college, National Merit (still relevant? idk), hospital volunteering, high school research exp.

In terms of "flexibility offered by FlexMed", I really focused on my research, since it's heavily math/computationally-based, as well as attending math-based study abroad programs, like Budapest Semesters in Mathematics. I also discussed my plans to get a film minor and how I could expand upon this (although this was not entirely my focus). I'm pretty confident my recs were fine, as well as my essays (esp the one about disappointment, since I had a pretty unique experience for that).

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I just realized I used like 10000 parentheses in this post, sorry haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a pretty good shot based on the information you have posted here. Good luck.

You're obviously there stats wise but from a layman's perusal you don't seem to have the "flex" factor they're looking for. Tossup, IMO. Don't take my word for it though :)

I just joined SDN so I have no idea if I am posting this in the right place, but I guess I'd also like to be chanced based off of stats and ECs.
HS GPA: 3.74 (top US prep school)
College: Ivy League
College GPA: by end of year will probably be between 3.76 and 3.9 (Classes: 2 sem first year chinese, 2 sem intro chem (not organic), 1 sem bio, 1 sem calc II, intro psych) - only took 3 classes first semester, which might be a real weakness I think
ACT Score w/ writing: 34 (approx. 2260 SAT)
High school ECs: independent research project (biology/DNA related, being very vague just to keep my anonymity), 3 season athlete, talented photographer, hospital volunteer
College ECs: 2 cultural clubs, hoping to start volunteering at a hospital soon, applied for summer internships but no responses yet (very recently), no research (it's so hard to get a position as a first year with little scientific background)

In terms of why flexmed, I really want to pursue a major along the lines of medical humanities (sort of a culture & health kind of major with influences in psychology, anthro, etc.) and also become fluent in Mandarin, and I feel like if I had the opportunity to skip a few requirements and spend less time worried about things like MCAT/applications I would have more time to learn and become a more well rounded physician in the future.

I think my ECs are pretty weak so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Shoot I think I posted this in the wrong place, sorry...didn't realize this was for people who have already applied. I guess I'll be FlexMed 2017 cycle if I apply. Feedback still appreciated!!

I just joined SDN so I have no idea if I am posting this in the right place, but I guess I'd also like to be chanced based off of stats and ECs.
HS GPA: 3.74 (top US prep school)
College: Ivy League
College GPA: by end of year will probably be between 3.76 and 3.9 (Classes: 2 sem first year chinese, 2 sem intro chem (not organic), 1 sem bio, 1 sem calc II, intro psych) - only took 3 classes first semester, which might be a real weakness I think
ACT Score w/ writing: 34 (approx. 2260 SAT)
High school ECs: independent research project (biology/DNA related, being very vague just to keep my anonymity), 3 season athlete, talented photographer, hospital volunteer
College ECs: 2 cultural clubs, hoping to start volunteering at a hospital soon, applied for summer internships but no responses yet (very recently), no research (it's so hard to get a position as a first year with little scientific background)

In terms of why flexmed, I really want to pursue a major along the lines of medical humanities (sort of a culture & health kind of major with influences in psychology, anthro, etc.) and also become fluent in Mandarin, and I feel like if I had the opportunity to skip a few requirements and spend less time worried about things like MCAT/applications I would have more time to learn and become a more well rounded physician in the future.

I think my ECs are pretty weak so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Shoot I think I posted this in the wrong place, sorry...didn't realize this was for people who have already applied. I guess I'll be FlexMed 2017 cycle if I apply. Feedback still appreciated!!
Good candidate! It's worth applying. Remember to really "flex" your plan, and you'll have a solid shot