FlexMed 2017 Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steven Phillips

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to see whether or not I have potential for the FlexMed program at Mt. Sinai.

HS GPA: 97.5/100 (Salutatorian)
ACT: 34
University: Grade deflating ivy (not HYP)
cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 3.94
Research: Extensive basic science research (cancer biology) at 2 labs (working on 2 different projects). Very likely first author publication at one of them (in mid-impact factor journal).
Clinical Experience: Worked at one clinic (shadowing/assistant) and hospice. Total: 300 hours
Volunteering: Various organizations (300 hours)

Flex factor idea: Won't describe it here because I don't want anyone to steal it but I can guarantee that it is extremely strong.

The reason why I want to do this program is because I am a horrible test taker. My SAT score was astoundingly low given my high school performance and I honestly just lucked out on the ACT (considering all my practice tests were around the 30s). I tried looking at some MCAT tests and found that I was just as bad at the MCAT as I was with the SAT so I would really like to avoid it if possible. I am very gifted when it comes to performing academically, just not as good at taking tests.

Do you guys think I have a shot at the program? I really want to avoid the MCAT to prevent it from dragging my med school application down (in the future).

Members don't see this ad.

Grades are excellent. maybe try to shadow some doctors and get more volunteering hours.

In terms of being horrible at test taking, if you choose to go down the path of being a doctor you should get used to test taking haha.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, just wanted to see whether or not I have potential for the FlexMed program at Mt. Sinai.

HS GPA: 97.5/100 (Salutatorian)
ACT: 34
University: Grade deflating ivy (not HYP)
cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 3.94
Research: Extensive basic science research (cancer biology) at 2 labs (working on 2 different projects). Very likely first author publication at one of them (in mid-impact factor journal).
Clinical Experience: Worked at one clinic (shadowing/assistant) and hospice. Total: 300 hours
Volunteering: Various organizations (300 hours)

Flex factor idea: Won't describe it here because I don't want anyone to steal it but I can guarantee that it is extremely strong.

The reason why I want to do this program is because I am a horrible test taker. My SAT score was astoundingly low given my high school performance and I honestly just lucked out on the ACT (considering all my practice tests were around the 30s). I tried looking at some MCAT tests and found that I was just as bad at the MCAT as I was with the SAT so I would really like to avoid it if possible. I am very gifted when it comes to performing academically, just not as good at taking tests.

Do you guys think I have a shot at the program? I really want to avoid the MCAT to prevent it from dragging my med school application down (in the future).
you could just say Cornell lol
From what I know, they want humanities majors with a passion for helping others. That's the purpose of the program, it allows you to explore more than just science. Your stats are great, but do you have those other parts too?

I think your chances are high if you do

Hi! can someone chance me? I am applying winter 2017 and am worried about some of my stats, since I am not really a great test taker.

HS GPA: 4.3 (unweighted)
college GPA: 3.8
SAT superscored: 2170
Major: Neurophysiology and Violin Performance, in my state university's honor program
extracurriculars (non science): concertmistress of my university's orchestra, I also studied violin at Peabody prep for 13 years and have an advanced certificate from there.
Science extracurriculars: 5 publications (one in oxford journals neuro-oncology), one Johns hopkins medical inst patent coinventorship, and past and ongoing research experience in general (will likely get more publications)
volunteering: will be volunteering at a free clinic in India
shadowing: I have shadowed a neurosurgeon and neuro-oncologist over the course of about a month

I also want to add that my GPA is so low because I took orgo 1 and orgo 2 freshman year as well as other higher level science courses.

Let's face it people, despite what we want to think, this program is so unique and specific in what it's looking for that none of us (even those admitted) can speak to what they are looking for. Typical SDN knowledge goes out the window with a program like this.

Reactions: 1 user
@tpop1996 Man you really need to get out of your high school College Confidential mindset. I can tell you're a frequent CC-er by the way you post.

To think a 3.8 is "so low" especially after freshman orgo is ridiculous. I had a 3.7 and am going to a school objectively better than Sinai. A 3.8 is great
Are you saying you have 5 peer-reviewed scientific publications? Not like college magazine articles, but real peer-reviewed journal original investigation articles? Either your PI gave out candy too much or you really got some solid experience. If it's 5 peer-reviewed already published (not submitted or some awaiting decision BS) let me assure you are in the 99th percentile of premeds.
By definition one cannot have a 4.3 "unweighted" GPA. A GPA that has grades counting for more than 4.0 is weighted. Your GPA will be viewed as a 4.0, hope you didn't lose sleep in high school getting the extra 0.3 :p

Refer to my post above. There is no "chancing" for a program like this. Apply and see. You need to have a very good reason why you need FlexMed to accomplish your goals. No, the answer is not "so I can get into med school more quickly"

Also did you really upload a real photo of yourself? Be less vain (again, high school mentality here) and get rid of it

Excuse me, but it synced with my facebook, I have no control over that. So thank you. I'll get rid of the picture if it's too distracting for you.

Excuse me, but it synced with my facebook, I have no control over that. So thank you. I'll get rid of the picture if it's too distracting for you.
Great, now with that information it would be real hard to figure out who you are. I don't think you understand my point so nvm

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a very low ACT score but a pretty high GPA, do I have any chance?

I have a very low ACT score but a pretty high GPA, do I have any chance?
Did you read the thread at all? The first post has tons of information and that wasn't even enough for anyone to guess about chances. You wrote one line...how is that useful to us or yourself?

I'm just asking generally. I have good credentials and gpa... but I have never been a good test taker. I really think that would be a disadvantage but it doesn't hurt to try you know.

I'm just asking generally. I have good credentials and gpa... but I have never been a good test taker. I really think that would be a disadvantage but it doesn't hurt to try you know.

Becoming a doctor does not mean tests vanish. You take many standardized board and licensing exams throughout your career. They won't go away.

You can study for the MCAT!!!! It's totally doable!

I understand. Thanks for the input guys. Very nervous applying. I am doing all I can!

Then the answer to such a general question is that you won't get in. Because generally, people do not get into this very small program.

To you high school nerds my advice is to just study for the MCAT eventually. Sinai is a great school but honestly if you just put in a little effort you can probably get in there and many more places if you just continue what you have been doing.

Of course I suspect a lot of you are just burned out and want an excuse to take it easy for a while but can't with your parents breathing down your neck about getting into HMS or whatever

Yes. But being an international student applying to medical schools in the US, it is different. This is my one gold opportunity to make it to medical school because most medical schools do not accept international students.

For those who got mad for not sharing my stats: I do not want to share. Note that some people are different from you and do not appreciate listing their accomplishments. But @avgn, thanks for laying out my destiny!

If you're using FlexMed as a "way out" of taking the MCAT due to fear of your score, then you are completely contradictory to the premise of the program. I'm sure they weed-out the students (which I'm sure there are a lot) who apply for the program solely as an assurance plan and not for the opportunities it offers for those who matriculate.

If you're using FlexMed as a "way out" of taking the MCAT due to fear of your score, then you are completely contradictory to the premise of the program. I'm sure they weed-out the students (which I'm sure there are a lot) who apply for the program solely as an assurance plan and not for the opportunities it offers for those who matriculate.
Ah yes, wise words of the premed who has yet to appreciate how the game is played

Hey everyone! I was planning on applying for flexmed as well. I am currently an English major but am also planning on majoring in Neurobiology while possibly minoring in French. My high school GPA was a 4.0 while my SAT score was definitely not the best (around 1670). While in high school, I volunteered at a physical therapy office, tutored, practiced tae kwon do, took numerous college-level courses, was part of the National Society of High School Scholars, and was invited to take part in The National Academy of Future Physicians and Medical Scientists. I am on the dean's list for my spring semester of my freshman year of college but my overall GPA is (3.1). Due to commuting to and from school and personal issues, I was having a rough time adjusting to college life ( 3 C's and 1 B in my first year) :( I was looking at previous threads and many of the applicants go to prestigious schools and have a near-perfect GPA as well as a ton of volunteer/shadowing experience. I guess you could say I am not feeling very confident in applying :( So, I was wondering what you guys think... I know I am not the most competitive applicant but do I stand a chance? I know Flexmed is looking for top students and while my first year says otherwise, I personally feel that I could improve my grades immensely and be the student they (as well as other med schools) are looking for, but since I screwed myself over in my freshman year I'm feeling a bit discouraged.

Hey everyone! I was planning on applying for flexmed as well. I am currently an English major but am also planning on majoring in Neurobiology while possibly minoring in French. My high school GPA was a 4.0 while my SAT score was definitely not the best (around 1670). While in high school, I volunteered at a physical therapy office, tutored, practiced tae kwon do, took numerous college-level courses, was part of the National Society of High School Scholars, and was invited to take part in The National Academy of Future Physicians and Medical Scientists. I am on the dean's list for my spring semester of my freshman year of college but my overall GPA is (3.1). Due to commuting to and from school and personal issues, I was having a rough time adjusting to college life ( 3 C's and 1 B in my first year) :( I was looking at previous threads and many of the applicants go to prestigious schools and have a near-perfect GPA as well as a ton of volunteer/shadowing experience. I guess you could say I am not feeling very confident in applying :( So, I was wondering what you guys think... I know I am not the most competitive applicant but do I stand a chance? I know Flexmed is looking for top students and while my first year says otherwise, I personally feel that I could improve my grades immensely and be the student they (as well as other med schools) are looking for, but since I screwed myself over in my freshman year I'm feeling a bit discouraged.
If you want to apply, be a 100% confident in yourself and your abilities. Otherwise, you should be focusing all your resources on getting that GPA up if you want to have a chance at getting in traditionally.

Just know that students who get into flexmed tend to have ultra-high hs/college GPAs and test scores in addition to exceptional ECs and passions outside of medicine/science.

Can someone chance me:

GPA: Science: 3.9 (at large public university)
Nonscience: 3.9

Biochem Major. (A- in Bio 2, Orgo 1, and Physics 1. B+ in cooking class)

SAT: 2270
ACT: 35
High School Valedictorian
HS GPA: UW: 3.98 W: 5.57
National Merit Finalist
Accepted to Vanderbilt U. but chose to attend State University instead
*Full scholarship + Bonus Stipend to attend University

Research:

*Participated in REU summer Freshman year
*Research assistant at a lab right now.
*Presented at a few regional conferences

Volunteering:
*Low income medical clinic
*Health Department
*Homeless shelters, etc.
*Hospice

Leadership
*On the executive board of 2 organizations
*Planned mission trip to Guatemala

Do you have a clear cut, well thought out, and interesting flexmed plan?

Hi, future flexmed applicant, these are my stats

HS:
GPA 3.3 ( highly selective Early College Program)
SAT math+CR 710+670=1380, 710 on Writing
EC. President of Sports Analysis, Vice President of Curent Events Club, Secretary of Red Cross Club, peer mentor, Peer tutor, student ambassador, soloist on trumpet, piano, guitar
1000 hours non clinical volunteering,
200 hours clinical volunteering
400 hours shadowing

College
GPA 4.0, Biology major w/ History Minor , Honors Program Student, Various merit scholarships and grants
Jewish Student Association and Biology Student Organization(possible E-Board member by time of applciation)
100 hours of non clinical volunteering(and counting)
100 hours of shadowing(and counting)
Future planned research and clinical volunteering over the summer

Chances of getting in? Thankyou so much!!!

Hi, future flexmed applicant, these are my stats

HS:
GPA 3.3 ( highly selective Early College Program)
SAT math+CR 710+670=1380, 710 on Writing
EC. President of Sports Analysis, Vice President of Curent Events Club, Secretary of Red Cross Club, peer mentor, Peer tutor, student ambassador, soloist on trumpet, piano, guitar
1000 hours non clinical volunteering,
200 hours clinical volunteering
400 hours shadowing

College
GPA 4.0, Biology major w/ History Minor , Honors Program Student, Various merit scholarships and grants
Jewish Student Association and Biology Student Organization(possible E-Board member by time of applciation)
100 hours of non clinical volunteering(and counting)
100 hours of shadowing(and counting)
Future planned research and clinical volunteering over the summer

Chances of getting in? Thankyou so much!!!
Definitely apply! You seem to fit what they want. Make sure to write a killer essay tho.