Quantcast

FlexMed Chances 2017 (I know it's super early...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amydaynow

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi everyone! I'm new to this whole thing but I've been browsing the FlexMed threads lately and decided why not post...it's not like I have anything to lose! Sorry to repeat this post--I accidentally posted the same thing on a different thread.

Anyway, I guess I'll be a 2017 applicant (current freshman) and am hoping to get chanced. I know it's early...but what premed isn't hyper-obsessed with of these kinds of things?

HS GPA: 3.74 (top US prep school)
College: Ivy League
College GPA: by end of year will probably be between 3.76 and 3.9 (Classes: 2 sem first year chinese, 2 sem intro chem (no organic), 1 sem bio, 1 sem calc II, intro psych) - only took 3 classes first semester, which might be a real weakness I think
ACT Score w/ writing: 34 (approx. 2260 SAT)
High school ECs: independent research project (biology/DNA related, being very vague just to keep my anonymity), 3 season athlete, talented photographer, hospital volunteer
College ECs: 2 cultural clubs, hoping to start volunteering at a hospital soon, applied for summer internships but no responses yet (very recently), no research (it's so hard to get a position as a first year with little scientific background), small committment on-campus job

In terms of why flexmed, I really want to pursue a major along the lines of medical humanities (sort of a culture & health kind of major with influences in psychology, anthro, etc.) and also become fluent in Mandarin, and I feel like if I had the opportunity to skip a few requirements and spend less time worried about things like MCAT/applications I would have more time to learn and become a more well rounded physician in the future.

I think my ECs are pretty weak so any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. I still have a little bit of time and want to be the strongest applicant I can be. Thanks!