FlexMed chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogDays123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Excellent chances. Just make sure you have a theme of what you're passionate outside of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic stats:
HS GPA: 4.0 unweighted
SAT: 2330 - 800 Math, 750 Verbal, and 780 Writing

Undergrad: Princeton/Harvard/Yale-tier
Undergrad GPA: 3.9 cGPA, 3.93 sGPA
Tentative major: Neuroscience or Politics

Extracurriculars:
-Student-run public health journal editor and contributor
-Full-time research in neuroscience lab
-Compete for traveling rugby team
-Peer tutor for biology, chemistry and calculus
-Tour guide
-Volunteer at a low-income health care provider nearby

In high school, won/placed at a bunch of national level speech and debate tournaments, editor of national award winning yearbook, did varsity sports, 4 years of hospital volunteering, participated in a state-funded science scholars program, etc.

I had a very similar profile to yours (it's actually kind of crazy how our scores and ECs line up) and was successful. I think you have an excellent shot if you're able to flesh out a good plan in your essays. The only people I know who didn't get in with our profile didn't do a very good job with the essays or couldn't communicate very well at the interview. Good luck!

As someone who is applying the regular way right now and considered applying to flexmed/Humed let me pass on some advice i got. I went to a HYP level engineering school and had a 2400 sat score. I thought The early assurance would be great but was counseled against it. If you are smart enough to get that gpa, sat score and into that kind of school, you will have be opportunity to interview at many great medical schools. Do not box yourself in this early. It is so important to go through the interview process and find the right fit in a school. Also, financial aid/scholarships can vary vastly between schools and if you commit early you won't be able to compare. I realize the attraction of the sure thing is compelling but trust yourself enough to know that a student as strong as yourself will get plenty of love the normal route.

Just my two cents. Feel free to disagree with me but I think it is at least worth thinking about.

I second that, if you keep your track record than you'll be able to get full-rides at some low-ranked places (if that appeals to you).

As someone who is applying the regular way right now and considered applying to flexmed/Humed let me pass on some advice i got. I went to a HYP level engineering school and had a 2400 sat score. I thought The early assurance would be great but was counseled against it. If you are smart enough to get that gpa, sat score and into that kind of school, you will have be opportunity to interview at many great medical schools. Do not box yourself in this early. It is so important to go through the interview process and find the right fit in a school. Also, financial aid/scholarships can vary vastly between schools and if you commit early you won't be able to compare. I realize the attraction of the sure thing is compelling but trust yourself enough to know that a student as strong as yourself will get plenty of love the normal route.

Just my two cents. Feel free to disagree with me but I think it is at least worth thinking about.

That's definitely something that I (and I'm sure every other FlexMed matriculant) considered when applying. Sure, it is likely that many of us could have done well on the MCAT and gotten into a variety of schools later on. But to me, a guaranteed offer to a school that I like (and liked even more after the interview), in a city that I want to live in, and from which you can match anywhere you want if you do well was worth it. Sinai's need-based financial aid is also extremely good and they're going to give out merit aid to the best FlexMed students. On top of that, I now have the freedom to do anything I want. I can go abroad, maybe work for a consulting firm for a year, and get into any ECs that I haven't been able to yet. Yeah, maybe I could have studied for the MCAT and gunned for Hopkins or Yale but (to me at least) that wasn't worth it and would just be stoking ego. If you're willing to forego the normal app cycle and gunning for a top 5 (and not everyone is) and want to attend a top 20 in NYC that has a very good quality of life and matches extremely well then I say go for it. To each his own though.