Flight billet

bnm126

May 10, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey guys, currently on the fence about HPSP. I think that if I sign, I'd like to do a flight surgeon tour and just extend to complete my payback and go on to civilian residency. My question is, how competitive are these billets, and what branch is best to go into? I searched and found some really old threads saying that Navy flight surgery is/was competitive, but with them not even making HPSP quota anymore is this still true? Thanks

FutureNavyFP

Newbee
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2007
North of the umbilicus
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys, currently on the fence about HPSP. I think that if I sign, I'd like to do a flight surgeon tour and just extend to complete my payback and go on to civilian residency. My question is, how competitive are these billets, and what branch is best to go into? I searched and found some really old threads saying that Navy flight surgery is/was competitive, but with them not even making HPSP quota anymore is this still true? Thanks
I would think no. I have a couple of friends who did FS a few years ago and they told me that in their classes there were about 76-78 FS applicants for 75 spots, and that was when it was more competetive. My class is struggling to make 50% and I'm not sure recruiting has done much better the last couple of years. If you do the math, FS should really be hurting for warm bodies here in a couple of years.

sethco

15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
  1. Attending Physician

As a current Human Weapons Expert for the Air Force, it is my estimation that Flight Surgery in the Navy is competitive, while it is non-competitive in the Air Force. If you want to be a flight surgeon in the air force (and you are physically qualified) iit is easy to get a spot. Just don't apply for residency during your 4th year of med school. Can't speak for the Navy, though. Not sure how much quota has anything to do with it though. They are trying to make the GMO/FS billets manned by residency-trained docs. However, if you don't want to do residency, I don't see how they can force into GME beyond your internship year

Another thing to keep in mind is that the minimum FS tour for the Navy is 3 years, while it is only 2 years for the AF (Just in case you change your mind and want to go back into residency early)

NavyFP

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Manning a Cubicle
  1. Attending Physician
For the past several years, Flight Surgery has had more applications than positions. This is a bit misleading as many apply for GME2 positions as well as flight surgery and undersea medicine (some do all three). In the end, there is very close to a one to one applicant to position after people accepted for GME2 decline FS.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.