Flight rescheduling tip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Magpie

Morning
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently had to change my flight plans.

I originally scheduled a round-trip flight to New York and wanted to change my departing flight so that I could stop in Wisconsin for a few days before continuing on (I wanted to keep my return flight from NY the same).

The change fee (not including the added extra stop) was going to be $200 with Delta (online system). I called the reservation number and was quoted the same price as their website. That being said, I asked if there was a way I could waive the fee, and the representative asked for my reason (interview scheduling) and put me on hold for a few minutes. To my surprise I was able to waive this 200 dollar fee!

I figured I would share this in an effort to help those in a similar situation.

In short, it's possible to directly call airline companies to avoid change/cancellation fees.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Good heads up! This goes for most things... bounce check fees at banks, late fees for landlords (at least the first time or two), and whatever other things one might run across.

It never hurts to ask... the worst they can say is 'no.' And it's a pretty good gamble to save hundreds of dollars!

Reactions: 1 users
Good heads up! This goes for most things... bounce check fees at banks, late fees for landlords (at least the first time or two), and whatever other things one might run across.

It never hurts to ask... the worst they can say is 'no.' And it's a pretty good gamble to save hundreds of dollars!

Right? I tried this kind of thing with my internet company before (they had a 1 year promotion that I renewed by calling them).

I'm glad I tried it out here

Also it is worth noting that any of the major US airlines (Delta, American, United, JetBlue, etc) will give you a 24 hour grace period after ticketing, so if you realize you made an error right after, or if you want to hold a ticket before you finalize your schedule, this can help.

Reactions: 1 user