Flight Surgeon Questions and Military Payoff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2be9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions:

1) I have always wanted to serve my country, be a doctor, and earn my pilots license. So, if I choose to apply and get accepted into a FS program, can I use those flight hours and instructional time to get my Private Pilot's License? I know it may be a stupid question, but learning to fly has always been a goal of mine.

2) How often are flight surgeons deployed? How long are their deployments? I know this is different for Operational and Claimency (sp) tours, but what is the difference?

3) Okay, assuming I do the FS GMO tour... If I get the 4 year scholarship. I will do the internship year (which I have read does not count toward time repayment) then go to Flight Surgeon school, and do two years of FS service. Would I be in a good spot to get a general surgery residency (5 years)? Also, how many years would I owe after the residency (4 or 5)? Do these years add onto my 4 years earlier (internship plus 3 years of FS) when it comes to calculating retirement? (I assume the 5 years of residency do not count toward retirement.

4) Last question... How does the ranking and promotion system work? Would I be a commissioned officer during medical school (what rank)? And what is the promotion schedule after medical school.

***Some of these question may seem stupid, but I cannot reach an officer recruiter by phone or email for some reason.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I have no idea about stick time or pilot licenses. sorry

2) It is my understanding that FS/GMO's are likely to be deployed. You would be on the same type of deployment schedule as other Active Duty AF docs. 3-9 months, depending on assignment. (if you deploy as a gmo in an Army billet, that's the 9 month deal. This is possible)

3) GMO would help improve your shot at GS. Your AD time in residency pays back your HPSP obligation, but you incur a new service obligation while in residency training. So you would owe 5 years after a 5 year residency. Because you're on active duty starting at internship year, unless you do a civilian residency, all of that time counts toward retirement. So, your plan would get you 13 years toward retirement.

4)You will be an O1 during medical school. You go to O3 after school. Then you're on the normal promotion track.

Read the stickies and you'll be lightyears ahead.

If a pilot's license is such a goal, why would you wait 4+ year just to save a few bucks on some stick time? The thing is only about $8k and a few dozen hours of training. In the grand scheme of things, that's nothing. Even more so if you don't have medical school loans to worry about. I just find it strange how often people want to do some of the cool stuff in the military, but never bother to go do it as civilians...

Members don't see this ad :)
The Navy is the only branch that incorporates actual flight training into flight surgeon training, and it's not a whole lot at that. I did a weekend cross country to Key West for my T-34 time. Definately a good deal, but it didn't make much a pilot out of me, nor was that the intent.
However, the GI bill can be applied toward some aspect of flight training. Go to va.gov to learn more. I felt my GI bill was better spent toward residency, but I had my fill of flying as part of my job and never really felt the need to be a vicarious pilot.

How competitive are the FS programs?

The Navy is the only branch that incorporates actual flight training into flight surgeon training, and it's not a whole lot at that. I did a weekend cross country to Key West for my T-34 time. Definately a good deal, but it didn't make much a pilot out of me, nor was that the intent.
However, the GI bill can be applied toward some aspect of flight training. Go to va.gov to learn more. I felt my GI bill was better spent toward residency, but I had my fill of flying as part of my job and never really felt the need to be a vicarious pilot.

The AF Training now gives about 10 hours stick time plus ground school, and yes it can be put toward a private license.

1. When I went to flight school, I was told that you could use the hours towards your pilot's license (not totally sure if that's true). You get about 5 flights on the T-34 (~10 hours) and 6-7 flights on the TH-57 (~12 hours). For the T-34 part of the syllabus, they definitely wanted you to memorize all the emergency procedures and what not as well as some general stuff about the inner workings of the plane. Then, once you start flying, just tell your instructors on your intent and they will probably gear the flight more for a student pilot than a student doctor wannabe pilot...

2. As far as deployment's, it depends first if you go green side (Marines) or blue side (Navy). I would say that if you go green side, you will likely deploy for sure once during the 2 years. Blue side less likely I would think but either way, you probably have a good chance of going somewhere during those two years (everyone at my clinic has deployed atleast once).

3. You would have an advantage over others due to your "operational" time compared to peeps out of internship. I didn't do general surgery internship, I don't know how competitive it is but you definitely get extra "points" for being a FS/GMO/DMO. Just a suggestion, I would consider doing a 3 year HPSP, especially if you know you want to do flight surgery. That's because of the fact that if you do FS, your payback will be completely done by the time you finish your 2 years (give or take a few months). That way, if you totally hate mililtary medicine, you can just get out and go back to the civilian world.

4. Answered.

5. Generally speaking, FS acceptance is not that difficult (not sure if that has changed). Although, when I was an intern, apparently it was popular and I knew a few people who wanted it and didn't get it.

When you talk about 10 hours stick time are you talking about the RAM program which is 3 years? And also how many hours does the AF actually give in stick time once the training is over, if any?

When you talk about 10 hours stick time are you talking about the RAM program which is 3 years? And also how many hours does the AF actually give in stick time once the training is over, if any?

The AMP course was restructured sometime in the last year to include more flying time with an instructor pilot. I have no idea what they do at RAM, but once you're on the job your flying time will be entirely dependent on your base's aircraft (i.e. fighters vs. bombers vs. UAVs etc.), your role (SME vs med group) and your command support (the folks at Lackland for example were doing like 99% entrance physicals and 1% flying).