flights canceled?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody think that the recent events will result in massive cancellations and hikes in air fares?

I have several trips planned over the next few weeks and now wondering if those flights are still going ahead.

Also, how much do you think air fares will rise and how soon will they take effect?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt if there will be any price rate hikes. There's not that many people wanting to fly nowadays and besides, only a day and a half of flights was canceled. I was able to call Southwest and get my entire schedual schanged and I actually saved 100$.

You dont think that the increased security measures will result in greater prices for plane tickets?

I guess I'm assuming that the airlines/airports are going to pass all increased costs to the consumer in the form of increased air fares.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Members don't see this ad :)
airlines can't raise airfares...if they do they have to be real careful about price gouging laws. In Dallas gas went up to $5 a gallon...so they are gonna be in a world of hurt when the state goes after them.

Besides...who the hell wants to fly right now. Security has always been a major problem at airports...it's about time it gets strict.

Prices WILL NOT skyrocket. The airlines will be kept afloat by the federal government.

Well, either prices will go up, or taxes will go up. Neither is a popular option, but the money to pay for increased security is going to have to come from somewhere. Price increases to cover increased sercurity services (which we obviously need badly) would not be considered price gouging. Either the airlines will continue to be responsible for airport security, in which case they will pass the increases -- for hiring people above minimum wage, more checks of carry-ons and baggage, additional security guards at airports and on planes -- on to us, or the FAA will take over airport security (that's what the airlines are asking for) and will need tax dollars to do it.

And yes, I think it's going to be quite a while before airline travel gets back to normal (if ever). Already it's been announced, no more e-tickets, no more curb-side check-in, no more going to the gate unless you're a passenger, no more knives under 4."

Hate to sound so pessimistic, but I really can't see it turning out any other way. The whole thing does put our problems into perspective, while, of course, only adding to them. :(

Originally posted by SMW:
•Well, either prices will go up, or taxes will go up. Neither is a popular option, but the money to pay for increased security is going to have to come from somewhere. Price increases to cover increased sercurity services (which we obviously need badly) would not be considered price gouging. Either the airlines will continue to be responsible for airport security, in which case they will pass the increases -- for hiring people above minimum wage, more checks of carry-ons and baggage, additional security guards at airports and on planes -- on to us, or the FAA will take over airport security (that's what the airlines are asking for) and will need tax dollars to do it.

And yes, I think it's going to be quite a while before airline travel gets back to normal (if ever). Already it's been announced, no more e-tickets, no more curb-side check-in, no more going to the gate unless you're a passenger, no more knives under 4."

Hate to sound so pessimistic, but I really can't see it turning out any other way. The whole thing does put our problems into perspective, while, of course, only adding to them. :(

So Orbitz, cheaptickets.com, etc will be shutting down business temporarily?

Originally posted by baylor21:
•So Orbitz, cheaptickets.com, etc will be shutting down business temporarily?•

I don't think so. Cheap is a relative term.