Flights to Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmacpac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
January is just around the corner (well....sort of) and I had officially initiated a flight search to Brisbane.

Now I know that American Airline and Qantas fly direct to Brisbane, but unfortunately the cost of airfare is around $3k. The fares will vary depending on the travelers city of Origin. I am in the Northeast USA, so flying from here is particularly expensive. Here are some alternatives I have come to learn about in doing my research on AU travel.

Please feel free to add any other useful information that may help others in finding low cost airfare to AU.

Lowest Price (as of today)
Leaving NYC:
Emirates airline: NYC to Sydney (connection at Dubai) cost $1800.

Qantas: NYC to Brisbane (connection in LAX) cost roughly $3k

Air Canada: Toronto to Brisbane, cost roughly $3k. Cost of getting to Toronto is extra.

Air New Zealand: NYC to Brisbane (connection at LAX and Auckland) cost roughly 3K

Air Pacific: LA to Brisbane (connection at Fiji) cost roughly $1900. Cost of flying to LA from city of Origin varies.

Cathay Pacific: NYC to Brisbane (via Hong Kong) cost ranges between $2k to $3K.

Any other ideas???

It seems like $3K is the average fare if one is to travel in January. Except Emirates which is cheaper, but the flight time is 6 hrs longer.

Members don't see this ad.

Go with Emirates, the best service, very equipped aircrafts and Dubai airport is like a city.

I guess trying STA travels won't hurt. I'd call them on Monday and see what their offers are.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should try STA Travel, and Orbitz has a site for students too. I got one way to Sydney for about $900 mid January.

Jetstar often has sales of $600 return Sydney to Hawaii. If you can get yourself a low cost flight to Hawaii that might be a way of saving money.

Also Virgin will be opening a new Sydney to LA route either by the end of this year or early next year, so I'm guessing prices on that route should drop.

That price from Air Pacific doesn't seem right... I've seen rates as low as $600-700 one-way from LA to Sydney or Brisbane. January is a bit more expensive than February, but you can still get it for about $1200 if you book it on their website with economy class.

etihad airways
it goes nyc to bris and its nice and safe and reliable and usually has good prices