Floater Question

Started by Mango
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mango

Very Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright, I figured one of you guys might be able to help me out. I have developed floaters in my R eye. I've been reading up about retinal detachments and posterior vitreous detachments, and all that good stuff. But I was wondering, if I did in fact have a retinal detachment leading to these floaters, wouldn't there be some accompanying signs or visual disturbances? Incidentally, I'm 27, -5D myope, and I haven't noticed any flashing lights or decreased visual acuity. I tried to test my own visual fields (if that's possible), and they seemed fine too.

I will be seeing my OD next week some time, and I expect these are just vitreal condensations (at least I hope). Anybody know the stats on what % of floaters are bad news?

Thanks for the help!
 
Originally posted by Mango
Alright, I figured one of you guys might be able to help me out. I have developed floaters in my R eye. I've been reading up about retinal detachments and posterior vitreous detachments, and all that good stuff. But I was wondering, if I did in fact have a retinal detachment leading to these floaters, wouldn't there be some accompanying signs or visual disturbances? Incidentally, I'm 27, -5D myope, and I haven't noticed any flashing lights or decreased visual acuity. I tried to test my own visual fields (if that's possible), and they seemed fine too.

I will be seeing my OD next week some time, and I expect these are just vitreal condensations (at least I hope). Anybody know the stats on what % of floaters are bad news?

Thanks for the help!

Most people will see floaters. They are usually thin strands of translucent objects. These are not a big deal.

However, if you start seeing blobs, large floaters, or increased number of floaters, then this may be blood. Usually a tear or RD will be accompanied by photopsias (flashes), metamorphopsias (distortions, e.g. bends in straight lines), or curtains over the vision. Should any of these symptoms develop, call your ophthalmologist/optometrist promptly.

In your situation, being a -5 myope will make you more prone to RDs and tears. You're also prone to a posterior vitreous detachment. If you notice one big blob in your vision, then this may be a Weiss' ring. The vitreous is most adherant to the peripheral retina and at the optic nerve. In a posterior vitreous detachment, the protein attaching the vitreous to the optic usually comes off and floats with the vitreous body; hence, people may notice a large or ring-link floater in their vision.

New posterior vitreous detachments should have a thorough scleral depressed exam.

Hope this helps.
 
Thank you for the reply. That does help. These floaters are new, and there seems to be at least 2 or 3 of them in my right eye. But I didn't see and flashing lights, or other visual disturbances. And it has been about a month now, and I only notice the floaters when I look at bright or white objects (I first noticed them while copying pt labs off a computer screen). I'll make an appointment with my OD to be safe. Incidentaly, what's a depressed scleral exam?

Thanks again,
Mango
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hmmm....i thought floaters had something to do with bowel movements.

dang...i better read some opthalmology books

j/k

Geddy