You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Florida a & m university dpt
Started by RCA20
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You need hours in a variety of settings. Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic has an outpatient clinic that will let you shadow there for 30 hours. I also recommend reaching out to Capital Regional Medical Center for acute inpatient. They will let you shadow there for 8 hours (so just 1 day). Westminster Oaks is a nursing home that will let you shadow there quite a bit too. There are a bunch of other facilities, but those are just a few to get you started. I would say aim for a minimum of 100 hours shadowing in at least 4 different settings, and the lower your GPA, you might want to try and get other hours too. You will need to look at each schools requirements to make sure you have enough hours/settings/the correct types of settings. Each facility will have different requirements to shadow. Some will require you to have copies of your vaccines, etc., so pick a setting, call them to start volunteering, find out the requirements, and keep track of your hours and make sure you are getting them signed off by a PT when you start your shadowing. I keep a PT binder with copies of my transcripts, shadowing hour logs, and other relevant school materials.Hello, I’m a Tallahassee local and was wondering how do you all achieve internships or shadowing hours here? I’m a year out from application and just want to understand how?
Thank you!
You are such a blessing! I’ve been emailing facilities since I’ve been here and either no response or the spots are filled currently. Thank you thank you sooo much. Definitely looking into it.You need hours in a variety of settings. Tallahassee Orthopedic Clinic has an outpatient clinic that will let you shadow there for 30 hours. I also recommend reaching out to Capital Regional Medical Center for acute inpatient. They will let you shadow there for 8 hours (so just 1 day). Westminster Oaks is a nursing home that will let you shadow there quite a bit too. There are a bunch of other facilities, but those are just a few to get you started. I would say aim for a minimum of 100 hours shadowing in at least 4 different settings, and the lower your GPA, you might want to try and get other hours too. You will need to look at each schools requirements to make sure you have enough hours/settings/the correct types of settings. Each facility will have different requirements to shadow. Some will require you to have copies of your vaccines, etc., so pick a setting, call them to start volunteering, find out the requirements, and keep track of your hours and make sure you are getting them signed off by a PT when you start your shadowing. I keep a PT binder with copies of my transcripts, shadowing hour logs, and other relevant school materials.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MariahOTBOUND
New Member
Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I just got accepted into FAMU's 2019 MSOT class. I was wondering if you all have cons or major pros about the program?
I'm new to the forum. I just got accepted into FAMU's 2019 MSOT class. I was wondering if you all have cons or major pros about the program?
MariahOTBOUND
New Member
Hello,Yes I am, I am undergrad here and love the faculty.
i just got accepted into FAMU's Fall 2019 OT program and I was wondering what do you think about the program so far?
Got my acceptance today!anyone else?
Congrats! Did you acceptance from FAMU? I am still waiting to hear back from them.
Hello,
i just got accepted into FAMU's Fall 2019 OT program and I was wondering what do you think about the program so far?
Congrats! I am still waiting to hear back from them. Do you mind sharing your stats? I would really appreciate it!
I ‘m still waiting to hear back from them! I havent heard anything since i submitted my app.. no interview or anything. anyone else?
Yeah same like I didn't even get a confirmation email or anything, and finally I called and they just gave me an email for someone in grad apps and I emailed her twice before she responded to tell me that they were considering my PT app. Then about a month or so after that I got my acceptance email, no interview!
Yeah same like I didn't even get a confirmation email or anything, and finally I called and they just gave me an email for someone in grad apps and I emailed her twice before she responded to tell me that they were considering my PT app. Then about a month or so after that I got my acceptance email, no interview!
Could you please provide me the email you used to contact them?
Sure! They gave me Michaela House, and she is the Grad admissions coordinator and her email isCould you please provide me the email you used to contact them?
[email protected]
Thank you!!Sure! They gave me Michaela House, and she is the Grad admissions coordinator and her email is
[email protected]
I got accepted!
Sure! They gave me Michaela House, and she is the Grad admissions coordinator and her email is
[email protected]
Thanks for sharing! I hope I can get acceptance asap 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FutureStudentDPT25
Full Member
Hey has anyone heard anything for the 2019-2020 cycle?
I received an email today saying that I have been accepted.Hey has anyone heard anything for the 2019-2020 cycle?
Determined19
Full Member
When did you apply ?I received an email today saying that I have been accepted.
I applied at the end of October.When did you apply ?
Determined19
Full Member
Okay, thank you. I applied in the beginning of January so they may take awhile to contact me.I applied at the end of October.
FutureStudentDPT25
Full Member
What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking ?I received an email today saying that I have been accepted.
FutureStudentDPT25
Full Member
Same I sent My application on their due date so just patiently waiting.. praying for good newsOkay, thank you. I applied in the beginning of January so they may take awhile to contact me.
Undergrad: Abraham Baldwin Agricultural CollegeWhat are your stats if you don’t mind me asking ?
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.3
pre-req GPA: 3.4-3.8
GRE: 156V, 160Q, 4.0 AW
Hours: 75 Outpatient and 40 Inpatient
Extracurricular: Honors Program, Undergraduate Research, Tri Beta Honors Society, FFA Alumni, Church Volunteer, Operation Christmas Child volunteer, Tox Lab employee and team lead
LOR: 2 from PTs I shadowed, 1 from undergraduate research advisor and professor, 1 from Anatomy and Physiology professor
Has anyone else heard back from FAMU?
FutureStudentDPT25
Full Member
I emailed them and what they sent me back was a bunch of bs. I’m just going to accept an offer i got to another school because this is just ridiculousHas anyone else heard back from FAMU?
FutureStudentDPT25
Full Member
NopeHas anyone else been accepted to FAMU DPT for fall 2020?
Still waiting for any type of email or communication from them. Like they completely are just ghost no communication whatsoever
anyone else?