Florida a & m university dpt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RCA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever applied to Famu physical therapy program? If so, How's the program and application process.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever applied to Famu physical therapy program? If so, How's the program and application process.
I did once, because the PT I was shadowing graduated from there and she knew her stuff. I also conversed with a PT tech who graduated from there and told me not to apply, because she was having a hard time passing the NPTE. They have the lowest pass rate in America, not to bash on them, because it all depends on the student and how much you put into it.
https://www.fsbpt.org/download/PR_Ultimate_ByProg_PTT_2011_01.pdf

Anyway, it's paper applications. They dont require an interview, unless they changed that this year. They actually dont accept many students, The number might be in the 20s.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
O ok.. Did you get accepted when you applied there? Im thinking about applying there but I didnt know there NPTE scores were so low.

Members don't see this ad :)
O ok.. Did you get accepted when you applied there? Im thinking about applying there but I didnt know there NPTE scores were so low.
Actually, it's pretty embarassing. I got waitlisted there but this was beofre I got my mind right. I applied when I had a 2.9GPA and I was waitlisted. I have a 3.1 now and didn't bother applying again. I spoke to one of their faculty members and she was really nice. She said they don't accept many students because they dont have the faculty to support a 40-50 student cohort. Like I said, they accept maybe somewhere in the 20s.

Class of 2015 Anyone???

Anyone apply to FAMU beginning in August? Have you heard anything yet??

Class of 2015 Anyone???

Anyone apply to FAMU beginning in August? Have you heard anything yet??

sak passe moun mwen yo :D. I applied to FAMU last year and thought they were 100% unprofessional. They're even having trouble with their accreditation now. I've already been accepted somewhere else, but if I thought they were a good school I'd apply again this year since it's so much closer to me than the other school. Anyway they don't start looking at application until May...Good luck.

sak passe moun mwen yo :D. I applied to FAMU last year and thought they were 100% unprofessional. They're even having trouble with their accreditation now. I've already been accepted somewhere else, but if I thought they were a good school I'd apply again this year since it's so much closer to me than the other school. Anyway they don't start looking at application until May...Good luck.

Shyster, yea thats all I have been reading up on here that they are a terriible at everything. but thanks. Still waiting to hear from other schools. Did you not attend there last yr because of there or history?

Shyster, yea thats all I have been reading up on here that they are a terriible at everything. but thanks. Still waiting to hear from other schools. Did you not attend there last yr because of there or history?

I've considered applying to FAMU since I did my undergrad at FSU. APTA is going to review their program in Fall 2013, and I'm almost positive they will be put on probation just like their OT program. I think the faculty/administration there is pretty incompetent and I wouldn't trust the foundation of your career(education) with them.

I was accepted to a different school last year, but ended up not going. As for my FAMU application I never knew what happened to it; Literally :confused:. The administration was so terrible that they did not communicate anything to me from the moment I applied until the program go started. Not a word.

I wish I would've read this before e-submitting my PTCAS app -__- ... geez all the way in May tho? And not even a confirmation email after applying? wow. Didn't know their OT program was on probation and I guess I should've known they would have issues with their accreditation if their average 3yr passing rate for NPTE is 77%.

The "Fam" is a historically African American school...90% Black 5% White 5% other...if that matters to you and if you didn't already know

Still waiting to hear back from FAMU DPT for the start of Fall 2014 (Class of 2017). Got a call from my counselor yesterday and she/he said that they will start sending out emails/mail by next week or the following week after that.

Still waiting to hear back from FAMU DPT for the start of Fall 2014 (Class of 2017). Got a call from my counselor yesterday and she/he said that they will start sending out emails/mail by next week or the following week after that.

Did you get any word from FAMU yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied there too for fall 2014 have you heard back yet? I spoke to some one about two weeks ago, said my application would be reviewd shortly.

I've applied there too for fall 2014 have you heard back yet? I spoke to some one about two weeks ago, said my application would be reviewd shortly.

Have you heard back? I also applied for fall 2014, but have yet to hear from FAMU.

Is FAMUs program really as bad as people make it out be?

Is FAMUs program really as bad as people make it out be?
I heard they have a terrible pass rate for the NPTE and they are in danger of losing their accreditation. I researched them and decided not to even apply because of their stats. I want a good education and I want to pass the NPTE.

I heard they have a terrible pass rate for the NPTE and they are in danger of losing their accreditation. I researched them and decided not to even apply because of their stats. I want a good education and I want to pass the NPTE.

I did see that there latest NPTE ultimate pass rate was 84%, which is pretty low. People have been saying that about the program's accrediation on this forum since 2010, but I read that they've been accredited for the last 5 years and that they have accreditation through 2023. I was kind of hoping someone who has actually had some experience with the program could answer my question.

Has anyone heard anything about the fall 2016 applications?

Anyone for the cycle of Fall 2018 applied to FAMU's DPT program yet?

Any new updates?

Anyone for the cycle of Fall 2018 applied to FAMU's DPT program yet?
I'm a first year student at FAMU. This is their biggest application cycle (2017-18) ever. They currently have almost 800 applicants. This is up from the ~450 they had last year. I will say that they are being a lot more selective than in previous years. So, it will take them a minute to review all the applications. Plus, there is only three people on the admissions committee.

Some of my classmates were not accepted until May last year. So there is still hope.

I'm a first year student at FAMU. This is their biggest application cycle (2017-18) ever. They currently have almost 800 applicants. This is up from the ~450 they had last year. I will say that they are being a lot more selective than in previous years. So, it will take them a minute to review all the applications. Plus, there is only three people on the admissions committee.

Some of my classmates were not accepted until May last year. So there is still hope.
Thats what I heard. I attend FAMU and talked with Dr. Reaves, and she said that it is the most they have ever received.

Heard back from FAMU today and I was accepted.

Yes I am, I am undergrad here and love the faculty.

Reactions: 1 users
University: FAMU
Major: Health Science Pre-PT
PTCAS Overall GPA: 3.60
GRE: 308 4.0AWA

Letters of Recommendation: 2 licensed PT outpatient, 1 Assistant Director, 1 Health Science Professional

Observation Hours: Outpatient: 75 | Inpatient: 75 hours |

Applied: FIU, FGCU, FAMU

Interviews: FGCU, FIU, FAMU

Acceptances: FGCU, FIU, FAMU

Letters of Recommendation: 2 licensed PT outpatient, 1 Assistant Director, 1 Health Science Professional

Wow, you are killing it! Congratulations!! Thank you for taking the time to share!

Did you get a call or an email from FAMU?

I am still waiting to hear back from them. Do you mind sharing your stats? I would really appreciate it!
Sure :)

Undergraduate degree: B.S. Health Sciences
GRE: 303 overall- 144Q 159V 4.5AW
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Req GPA: somewhere around a 3.4
Observation Hours: 54 outpatient and 37 inpatient
LOR'S: 3 physical therapists and 1 professor from my health sciences department

Applied: FGCU, UCF, FAMU, MercerU
Accepted: FAMU & MercerU

Famu will be sending out acceptances through Spring so there's still plenty of time to hear back!

I have also been accepted for the Fall 2018 term. I am still waiting to hear back from USA in St. Augustine, and I will be choosing between the two programs. I have heard great things about FAMU's program, so I think I am leaning more FAMU because of cost and proximity to home.

I have also been accepted for the Fall 2018 term. I am still waiting to hear back from USA in St. Augustine, and I will be choosing between the two programs. I have heard great things about FAMU's program, so I think I am leaning more FAMU because of cost and proximity to home.
Congratulations! Did you get an email when you were accepted?

Still waiting to hear from FAMU does anyone know if the class is full already? Tried contacting the department via email but have yet to hear back.. :(

Still waiting to hear from FAMU does anyone know if the class is full already? Tried contacting the department via email but have yet to hear back.. :(

Did you call? I think they still have seats to fill up.

No but I got an email recently saying they would be processing applications until mid April so I guess there's still time
Ah ok, was that in response to your question? Or was it a general email that they sent out to most applicants?

Also, do you mind saying your stats?

I got an email March 27, I was out of the country so I couldn't post on here.

Undergraduate degree: B.S. Exercise Science
GRE: 307 overall- 155Q 152V 3.5AW
PTCAS Overall GPA: 3.44
University Overall GPA: 3.55
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
Observation Hours: 20 inpatient and 135 outpatient
LOR'S: 1 physical therapist 1 professor/advisor 1 on campus work supervisor

Applied: FAMU WSSU ETSU
Accepted: FAMU

I'm OOS so somewhat stressed about the tuition:greedy:, but we'll see what happens!