This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT0315

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I wanted to start a thread for fellow prospective DPT students applying to Florida DPT schools! I'm just about done with my PTCAS app, and am planning on applying to 9 schools: UCF, UF, USF, FGCU, Nova Tampa, Nova Ft. Lauderdale, University of St. Augustine, FIU, and UM (possibly). How is everyone else doing?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 1st year at UM if you need anything let me know

Awesome, thanks! What were your stats when applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your stats when you applied to UM? How do you like it because it's one of my top schools.

my stats were
cum gpa 3.35
pre-req 3.89
GRE 161 Q 159V 4AW
observation hours 50 SNF 50 pediatrics, 800+ outpatient 75 acute inpatient

I am also a second career changer I worked for 6+ years after my masters degree so I had alot of outside real life experience I could bring to the table and talk about in my essays and interview.

As far as UM, I love it so far, every one of the faculty is very supportive and always available to help you, even if its not class/school related. My classmates are my family and we have each others back, even the second and third years help out as much as our own class.

The interview process really sold me, talking to the students and getting a feel for how the program is well organized and operated.

we are almost done with our summer semester, we have 3 classes and one of them ended already, while another one ends on july 27th and our anatomy final is on aug 4th, then we start back up on Aug 21st for fall semester.

Let me know if you have any more questions, feel free to ask anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I will be a first year at UF starting in August. Let me know if I can answer anything about their process.
Thanks! What were your stats? I'm particularly interested in UF's program. And how do you like it?

my stats were
cum gpa 3.35
pre-req 3.89
GRE 161 Q 159V 4AW
observation hours 50 SNF 50 pediatrics, 800+ outpatient 75 acute inpatient

I am also a second career changer I worked for 6+ years after my masters degree so I had alot of outside real life experience I could bring to the table and talk about in my essays and interview.

As far as UM, I love it so far, every one of the faculty is very supportive and always available to help you, even if its not class/school related. My classmates are my family and we have each others back, even the second and third years help out as much as our own class.

The interview process really sold me, talking to the students and getting a feel for how the program is well organized and operated.

we are almost done with our summer semester, we have 3 classes and one of them ended already, while another one ends on july 27th and our anatomy final is on aug 4th, then we start back up on Aug 21st for fall semester.

Let me know if you have any more questions, feel free to ask anything.

Thank you so much for that reply! I never really looked in to UM's program (I don't think I'd get in to be honest) but after that reply, I am definitely going to look into it more. More specifically, how do you like the classes and curriculum they have at UM?

Thank you so much for that reply! I never really looked in to UM's program (I don't think I'd get in to be honest) but after that reply, I am definitely going to look into it more. More specifically, how do you like the classes and curriculum they have at UM?

Since we only had 3 courses so far its not really a proper gauge of classes, but I can say that Anatomy is really fun. It is lot of work but if you put in the time your grades will reflect that, but besides the grades it is the building block and foundation of your new career/profession. We have tons of electives to choose from, I believe over 24 elective classes. Ranging anywhere from how to manage your own private practice to sailing to an island and back, to a CSCS class, learning spanish for physical therapists, sports pt, pediatric pt, etc pretty much anything you can think of there is an elective. After summer semester we technically don't have classes on Friday, but Fridays are used for electives or working on your student research etc, but its not to know that you can have a 3 day weekend once in a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! What were your stats? I'm particularly interested in UF's program. And how do you like it?

We haven't started yet. We will start in a few weeks. I loved it when I visited.

My cum GPA was a 3.92 and my pre req GPA was a 3.97. My GREs were 153,153 and 4. I had lots of varied experiences and shadowing.

We haven't started yet. We will start in a few weeks. I loved it when I visited.

My cum GPA was a 3.92 and my pre req GPA was a 3.97. My GREs were 153,153 and 4. I had lots of varied experiences and shadowing.

Oh, that's awesome! And great stats! When did you roughly get an admissions decision from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
First year at UCF, I started this same thread last year! Check it out and I can answer questions if needed.

That's pretty quick! When do you recommend is the earliest to apply on PTCAS? Is it ok if I submit everything by the end of August?

I would do it as soon as possible. I think I must have gotten the invite to the UF visit day by the end of October, went to it in early Dec. and then heard about admission about two weeks later. Even though they are not a rolling admission school and their deadline is Nov.1, I'm pretty sure I got my invite prior to the deadline. Magdpt is correct, the thread from last year would have a lot of info,especially when we all heard about interviews etc. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
First year at UCF, I started this same thread last year! Check it out and I can answer questions if needed.

Thank you for your response! UCF is my currently my top choice, I went to their open house last weekend and fell in love haha! When roughly did you get an admission decision from UCF?

Thank you for your response! UCF is my currently my top choice, I went to their open house last weekend and fell in love haha! When roughly did you get an admission decision from UCF?
It's awesome! I love everything about it. I interviewed in December, I think I got the call in November. Then got waitlisted (first tier) in late March/early April and then called for a spot in April.

Glad you liked UCF from the Open House. I liked it better as well from the two Open Houses until I was invited to the UF Visit Day. That was an invitation only day spent with students and faculty. UCF is a wonderful program, but if you get invited to UFs visit Day you should consider going.

Glad you liked UCF from the Open House. I liked it better as well from the two Open Houses until I was invited to the UF Visit Day. That was an invitation only day spent with students and faculty. UCF is a wonderful program, but if you get invited to UFs visit Day you should consider going.
I second that. I loved UF as well.

It's awesome! I love everything about it. I interviewed in December, I think I got the call in November. Then got waitlisted (first tier) in late March/early April and then called for a spot in April.
Awesome! Thank you, I submitted my application a few days ago, hopefully I hear back from them!

Thank you! I really like UF's program, but I don't think I have good enough stats to get in.

I have been trying to find a 2018 start date for Miami but have been unable to find anything. It feels like this should be easy. All I have found to date is that they start in May. This seems like an early date since most colleges don't finish until May. Does anyone know an exact date?

I have been trying to find a 2018 start date for Miami but have been unable to find anything. It feels like this should be easy. All I have found to date is that they start in May. This seems like an early date since most colleges don't finish until May. Does anyone know an exact date?

According to PTCAS, it should be May 21, 2018. You can find this by going to the "Add Program" tab and searching for the program. There's a column that lists Program start date

According to PTCAS, it should be May 21, 2018. You can find this by going to the "Add Program" tab and searching for the program. There's a column that lists Program start date
Thanks. I didn't think of looking in the application.

Has anyone applied to other Florida schools? Any ideas when we should be hearing back about interviews?

Has anyone heard anything back from any schools? Nova, UM, FGCU?

um's interview dates in oct are 10/20 and 10/27

What were your stats?

GPA: 3.75
Prereq: Not sure, I think it was around 3.8
GRE: 155 Q 155 V 5.0 AWA
Hours: 300+ outpatient (5 different settings with different specialities such as neuro, ortho, peds, etc. and PT tech) and 88 hours acute care and 34 hours inpatient.
ECs: Student research assistant, thesis completion via honors college, peer leader in general chemistry, peer tutor in general chemistry, writer for the odyssey, part of the dance program, part of FPTO, choreographer, volunteer for arthritis foundation, feeding america, and diabetes association. Also on the dean's list twice and received magna cum laude distinction at graduation.

Just got an email from FIU saying they got my PTCAS application. Their interview dates are on January 27th and February 10th.

GPA: 3.75
Prereq: Not sure, I think it was around 3.8
GRE: 155 Q 155 V 5.0 AWA
Hours: 300+ outpatient (5 different settings with different specialities such as neuro, ortho, peds, etc. and PT tech) and 88 hours acute care and 34 hours inpatient.
ECs: Student research assistant, thesis completion via honors college, peer leader in general chemistry, peer tutor in general chemistry, writer for the odyssey, part of the dance program, part of FPTO, choreographer, volunteer for arthritis foundation, feeding america, and diabetes association. Also on the dean's list twice and received magna cum laude distinction at graduation.
Impressive! And congrats!!!

I received an email inviting me for an interview at UM about a week ago. I submitted my applications in early August.
Congrats ChiHawks66! Best of luck to you :)

Has anyone heard anything from USF? Like any notifications that they've received their application or anything?

Has anyone heard anything from USF? Like any notifications that they've received their application or anything?

NOPE. I was wondering if that is normal for them.

Good morning guys just received an interview from UM for October 27, applied September 28.

During my application process, USF was really out of it. I didn’t like it at all. Never really got any emails from them and got denied really late. But by then I had already denied other interviews and made my choice at UCF.

During my application process, USF was really out of it. I didn’t like it at all. Never really got any emails from them and got denied really late. But by then I had already denied other interviews and made my choice at UCF.

When did you hear from UCF?

When did you hear from UCF?
I want to say they called in late September/early November to set up a December interview, then I was accepted in February.

If you check back in last year's thread it will show when we got our interview invites to UCF. I'm thinking it was early November. BTW- Didn't hear much from USF until their admission date in early February. Florida state schools are not on the early side. UNF had one interview date in mid February and FIU interview dates were also after the first of the year. UF was actually one of the earliest Florida schools I heard from.

I've been following this forever to see how I match up with others but I've finally decided to post my stats. Any feedback would be appreciated! And if anyone has applied to the same schools and heard back let me know!!

Major: Exercise Science
Minor: Chemistry
Cum GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.3-3.5 depending on school
GRE: 156Q 153V 4.0W

Extra-Curricular: Research Assistant at University's college of human science, National Honor Society member

Volunteer: 50 geriatric

Observation Hours: 800 outpatient orthopedic, neurological (worked as PT aide)

LoR's: Ex. testing and Rx professor & 2 PTs
Applied To: NSU, UCF, UF, FIU, URI, WCU, UMES

Acceptances: n/a

Rejections: n/a