FLorida MED Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

A. Caveman

which Florida med school do you guys think is most highly regarded by residency directors? UF is ranked 40 on usnews's research rank, but it seems to me that UM has by far the best clinical training. and USF is very young but is creepin pretty fast with that residency match list of theirs. what do you guys think and most importantly WHY?

Members don't see this ad.

yo cave-dogg, thanks for posting here. too bad no one can give any advice. i was looking forward to some posts by those in the florida schools. anyone....anyone....

Well ah-hem, I think UF is by far the most prestigious medical school in this fair sunshine state....

but I may be a little biased....

but seriously, what are you asking? You already have the numerical stats, so if you go by numbers alone, you should already have your answer. If you want to talk about the differences in program style, and how YOU will be impacted by those teaching it, you may be talking about an entirely different situation. Clarify what you are looking for and see if we can't be of more help...

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yeah, I forgot to mention...you have to clarify what YOU are interested in! I mean, if you are interested in research & you have info saying that UF is the best...then there you go. But what if you AREN'T interested in research??? Wouldn't UM be the better choice? I would think the residency director that you are dealing with will certainly recognize UF's & UM's names...and probably even USF's, so residency application will be much like med-school application...the more "recognized" the school, the better shot you have (fair or not). Besides, I don't think a residency director is going to give a rat's butt if UF is a good research school or not if YOU haven't done any research there. They're looking for your acheivements, not the school's. Just my understanding/opinion....

so, you think UF is a better research school than UM? UM gets more NIH money (i don't know what that means though---lots of money from the state goes to UF). what's your opinion on the research thing Cobragirl?

I'd also like your take on clinical experiences..which one is best of all three.

and lastly the point you made about how i'll be impacted by teaching styles and how i'll be impacted by those teaching it, etc. who's best in your view?

PS. i was not interviewed at UF, so there's no possibility of an acceptance there, BUT i'd just like to know for curiosity's sake, what school is best overall, and in the areas outlined above. i know your time is really valuable, so thanks in advance.