Florida schools - interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha I just purchased my "What would Chuck Norris Do?" T-Shirt. Excellent.
It has his outline on it as well.

On The back it says "There is no Theory of Evolution, only a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live."

In any case, my next shirt will feature Gary Coleman, and will say: "I'm what willis was talkin' about."

God, I'm so creative.

Members don't see this ad.

yrodri15 said:

On The back it says "There is no Theory of Evolution, only a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live."

In any case, my next shirt will feature Gary Coleman, and will say: "I'm what willis was talkin' about."

God, I'm so creative.

Did you get it from Cafe Press? I LOVE that site

yrodri15 said:

God, I'm so creative.
There's also a Chuck Norris shirt with his profile that says "Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris kills people." I like the site bustedtees.com. For all you Oregon Trail players out there, I bought a shirt with a picture of a covered wagon that says "You have died of dysentary." I think my favorite, though, is a picture of a guy with big hairy bear arms and the caption just says "The 2nd Amendment." hilarious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Burnsie! I LOOOOVE that "right to 'bear' arms" shirt!!!

If you have a home computer with an "always on" connection like Road Runner, you can set up something called Remote Desktop". You can then log into this computer with its IP address and bypass big brother. If you want more info, let me know. It can be tricky to setup.

RunnerMD said:
Ok--time for a totally non-medically related, non-FL post.

Ooooooooooh my gosh! I am so bored at work. And now, the IT dept is blocking most blogs. Does nyone know a way to get around these filters? I've tried googling phrases like "how to bypass office filters" (not in " ") but most of those site are blocked too! (Why SDN constitutes as a legitimate site is beyond me, but I'm not complaining).

Are any of you computer nerds that can help me out? I read something about a proxy but it seemed complicated.

taubeladdi said:
If you have a home computer with an "always on" connection like Road Runner, you can set up something called Remote Desktop". You can then log into this computer with its IP address and bypass big brother. If you want more info, let me know. It can be tricky to setup.

Check your PM box.

medgirl? said:
asdjfksdj;faksdjf;askld
My thoughts exactly.

In response to the question Q replied to, how could Miami be full? I mean they're still interviewing and still accepting, right? You should talk to Dr. Hinkley and tell him your misunderstanding and see if he can offer some advice as to what you could do.

medgirl? said:
asdjfksdj;faksdjf;askld

That's very odd--when I e-mailed Dr. Hinkley a few months ago and told him I wanted FAU, he told me there were a "few spots" left there, and that he would be able to place me there (I was initially put at Miami). So if FAU is almost full, and Miami is full, are they just interviewing for waitlists? That would seem a bit odd since OOS people are just now interviewing. I would follow Burnsie's advice and speak with Hinkley--maybe there's a miscommunication somewhere.

thanks everyone. i appreciate the replies. (sorry, decided to edit).

I hope Miami isn't full.....just last week I went to the status track page and it FINALLY said that I was 'undergoing evaluation'. By the way, for those who checked the status page, how long did it take for you to hear something from them after you were 'undergoing evaluation'? Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I don't remember...I think mine just went from Ranked List to Interview or something like that. Then, it went to "final balloting," and "accepted." I DO remember that it was pretty accurate time-wise (i.e. I got my accepted e-mail and the status page said accepted, unlike other schools where they don't update the status page until days/weeks later). In fact, I think sometimes they update the status page before they notify you.

frany584 said:
I hope Miami isn't full.....just last week I went to the status track page and it FINALLY said that I was 'undergoing evaluation'. By the way, for those who checked the status page, how long did it take for you to hear something from them after you were 'undergoing evaluation'? Thanks!!!!
I don't think that the status page is very up to date. Mine said "undergoing evaluation" even after I had interviewed up until it said "final balloting." If you want to know where you're at, you're probably better off emailing Dr. H. Good luck, frany; hope you get your interview. :luck:

Thanks for the feedback RunnerMD and QofQuimica. I decided to email Dr. Hinkley and see what he says...hope its good news.... :oops:

Good luck to Zepp at his/her(?) interview today at FSU :luck:
Let us know how it goes!

Hey guys..I havent gotten an interview yet at UM and I really thought that I would. Do you really think they already filled?!? Is there someone I should email. I dont think my application went up for re-review even though I retook my MCAT. I called them but no-one was helpful.

Turquoisey said:
Hey guys..I havent gotten an interview yet at UM and I really thought that I would. Do you really think they already filled?!? Is there someone I should email. I dont think my application went up for re-review even though I retook my MCAT. I called them but no-one was helpful.
Did you talk to Dr. Hinkley? If not, I would talk to him directly, not the office staff. I'm sorry, turquoisey, I know that has to be frustrating for you. :(

Q--I saw in another thread you were accepted to CCLCM! Congrats! But does this mean you won't be at FAU with me? :(

QofQuimica said:
Did you talk to Dr. Hinkley? If not, I would talk to him directly, not the office staff. I'm sorry, turquoisey, I know that has to be frustrating for you. :(

Do I just call and ask for him directly? he doesnt care? or should I just try to send him an email?
I would love to try to get some answers :)

Turquoisey said:
Do I just call and ask for him directly? he doesnt care? or should I just try to send him an email?
I would love to try to get some answers :)
Yeah, I've always just emailed or called him directly. Are you emailing the office, or are you actually emailing Dr. H? If you've been emailing the office, try emailing him specifically.

QofQuimica said:
Yeah, I've always just emailed or called him directly. Are you emailing the office, or are you actually emailing Dr. H? If you've been emailing the office, try emailing him specifically.

Thank you very much. I just emailed him. I hope things start to work out.

Many thanks to RunnerMD, Q and all of you who thought of us, Trully and me, the day of our interview at FSU.
Everything was basically how it says in the feedback page, very layback. I wanted to go there before visiting and now I DEFINITELY wanna go there. The facilities, the students and staff, etc, etc, etc. I also met Trully, who I must confess is very attractive :love: ;) we were in different groups but I really hope it went well for her. I felt good in the interviews and less nervous than I was projecting. Good luck and thank you everyone!

Zepp

Zeppelin900 said:
Many thanks to RunnerMD, Q and all of you who thought of us, Trully and me, the day of our interview at FSU.
Everything was basically how it says in the feedback page, very layback. I wanted to go there before visiting and now I DEFINITELY wanna go there. The facilities, the students and staff, etc, etc, etc. I also met Trully, who I must confess is very attractive :love: ;) we were in different groups but I really hope it went well for her. I felt good in the interviews and less nervous than I was projecting. Good luck and thank you everyone!

Zepp
Congrats on having a great interview day, Zepp, and hope that you both get good news soon. :luck:

Zeppelin900 said:

Zepp

So glad to hear it went well! I really believe it is a great school with a very friendly atmosphere. Keep us updated! Good luck Zepp and Truly :luck:

QofQuimica said:
I think that TrulyBlessed is also interviewing today. Good luck to you both. :luck:

Thanks so much for thinking of us...Zepp and I had a great day and we should be hearing back from FSU very soon!

Zeppelin900 said:

Zepp

Yes again, thanks to all of you esp. RunnerMD and Q! We will definitely keep you guys updated...

Zeppy Zepp you are the sweetest...I really hope we become classmates!

i contacted dr. hinkley through email, i thought this might help out some people...

Donnie: We don’t expect the class to be “full” until March. After that, when people withdraw we will accept students from our alternate list.

Robert Hinkley, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions
Professor of Cell Biology and Anatomy
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine

labelwhore said:
i miss skybar

Heh.

Today's weather in Boston- 33 degrees and a "Wintry Mix"

Two words that strike pain in my heart.

unfrozencaveman said:
Heh.

You know that Miami is your destiny. Give in to the warm side. ;) It's been really hot here lately. I actually had to turn my air on yesterday. :eek:

unfrozencaveman said:
Heh.

Awwwwwww You know ya gotta listen to Q.......you secretly love the Miami weather and beaches more then the boston cold. :laugh: :laugh:

On a side note, LMAO at your "not a dude" warning under your screenname. Just noticed it.

QofQuimica said:
You know that Miami is your destiny. Give in to the warm side. ;) It's been really hot here lately. I actually had to turn my air on yesterday. :eek:

Yeeeeah! Caveman, you KNOW you want to come to Miami!!!

On a serious note though, I cannot wait to move back down to S. Florida. It may only be a 5-8 degree difference from Tampa, but it makes a big difference to someone like me who is one those people that's "always cold."

Hey guys. Now that we are talking about Miami, does any of you know how long does it take for your app to come out of the "undergoing file evaluation" slump? Mine has been there for like a month and they don't seem to tell me whether I got an interview or not.

P.S. Frozencaveman is not a dude??? but you look so masculine in that picture! Is this a joke?

Cheers.

Zeppelin900 said:
P.S. Frozencaveman is not a dude??? but you look so masculine in that picture! Is this a joke?
Phil Hartman would be very flattered...

In response to your question, the time it takes to go from "file eval" to "ranked list" and then from "ranked list" to interview vary quite a bit; but a month doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. You should probably get off within a few weeks.

My file was "under evaluation" until I got an interview, I was never put on "ranked list" or whatever that category is. So, don't worry if it's still in that category!

As for Florida applicants on the waiting list at either FSU or UM, I will be withdrawing my acceptance in the next month or so (as soon as I get the guts to do it), so good luck, I hope this gives you a little hope and comfort! ;)

Zeppelin900 said:

Cheers.

The majority of wacky people that post on this forum are females

Zeppelin900 said:

Cheers.

Unfrozencaveman gets her screename from an SNL skit that was done. You'll have to look it up online. The picture is somehow related to this SNL episode on the unfrozen caveman. But I don't watch SNL, so I'm going by what she said looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time ago in this thread. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh and Mike,
You know you love us wacky females. We make life interesting. :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

wacky females are great, they are spontaneous and easily angered.

In any case...I saw Dane Cook live in the jackie gleason (south beach) last Friday. I felt compelled to disclose this information. My life is now complete.

"Yrodri Out."

How about UF guys? My app has been completed for at least two months and I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else in the same situation?

I'm still kind of surprised unfrozen caveman is not a guy, but hey I'm just a caveman and I'm just scared and perplexed with your world....so why don't you admissions officers call me and grant me an acceptance right away?!

Zeppelin900 said:
How about UF guys? My app has been completed for at least two months and I haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else in the same situation?

I'm still kind of surprised unfrozen caveman is not a guy, but hey I'm just a caveman and I'm just scared and perplexed with your world....so why don't you admissions officers call me and grant me an acceptance right away?!

UF is one of the hardest to get into because even if you interview, they tend to put a lot of people on hold and then put a lot more stalk into acceptances around Christmas break, and then again in Spring.

They generally put a lot of people on preinterview and post interview hold. I'd probably update them with new activities done and new grades, etc. periodically if they allow such a thing to occur. But from what I saw with former classmates who are now in med school, it is very tough to get into UF and I've had some friends who never heard back post hold status. Good luck.

Zeppelin900 said:

Welcome to my world, Zepp...hope your stay isn't as long as mine has been. I've been complete since August and haven't heard anything. And at this point, I don't really expect to. Interesting process this is...I hear good things from some of my more reach schools and don't even get an interview to one of my state schools. oh well. You could call Robyn and see what's up, although you'll probably get the generic "you'll hear from us as soon as a decision is made." Good luck! When you talk to her, make sure you ask what the heck I did wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.