Florida schools nova vs uofm bs fiu vs uf vs fgcu

Started by angl88
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

angl88

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone applied to any of these schools and how do you feel they compare in terms of curriculum, cost and quality and campus? I have noticed some are nine semesters instead of eight and start in May ( University of Miami and Nova) Most are evidenced based traditional. Florida Gulf Coast ( least expensive) is problem based learning and I am interested in anyone's experience with a problem based format If you have applied now to any Florida schools , have heard back and /or are currently attending your opinion is valued THANKS
 
Last edited:
I applied to Miami and FIU. From what it looks like they are very similar in curriculum and credits. I think FIU has a bit more credits but the clinical experience hours is the same. Miami is one of the top ten schools in the nation.

I have only heard back from Miami so far and have an interview scheduled with them in a few weeks! Have you applied yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you got UM or FIU for PT it would be in your best interest to know Spanish if you don't already. The schools are English speaking of course, I went to FIU, but especially in a field like PT in South Florida a lot of your older patients won't know much if any English. If you go to employflorida.com you can look at some jobs in the Miami metro for PT and every single one I looked at wants bilingual.

I don't know much about the actual programs but if you want any information about the campus or cities I can tell you all about Gainesville, Miami and Orlando (though you didn't mention UCF). I could also tell you about cost and dealing with admissions and such at FIU.
 
If you're intention is to stay in S. Florida upon graduation, then yes, I would agree it would be of great benefit to know spanish. If not, then you can certainly get by without it. About 3/4 of my class does not speak spanish and we have never had any notable issues.