USF vs. NOVA Ft. Lauderdale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PETRIEPT14

Reaction score
I am looking into both USF and NOVA and was wondering if anyone had any insight on either of the DPT programs, what Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale are like comparatively, and their opinion of which is the better school. would also be super helpful if anyone that has applied to either school and has been accepted/rejected could share their stats.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to both last cycle. Ultimately I didn’t choose to go to either, but I went to USF for undergrad and I personally love Tampa. The area by USF isn’t necessarily the most amazing place, but Tampa in general is pretty awesome in my opinion. I’m way less familiar with Fort Lauderdale, but it’s a cool area too

Tuition was an important factor for me, so as soon as I was accepted to any in state public schools I stopped considering any private schools (I’m a Florida resident). So I never gave any thought to NOVA really

USF has recently undergone some changes (maybe 3 years ago?). They used to be linked with the med school, so apparently students had several classes with med students. That’s different now thankfully, so it’s more traditional and on its own since the med school moved downtown

I shadowed a recent USF DPT grad who had great things to say about it, but he was still there right before the changes were made and right before a new director came. So it’s hard to value his advice too much

I was seriously considering USF so I arranged a meeting to see the facilities, and they’re great. The PT school has its own separate building which is pretty sweet. I also arranged a phone call with a different recent USF DPT grad who also had great things to say about the program

Ultimately I chose to go elsewhere because of some personal preferences in the curriculum and philosophy of practice. But USF has a great reputation, and I’m sure it’s a great program

Sorry I know next to nothing about NOVA’s program

My stats:
cGPA: 3.53
pGPA: 3.33 ish

GRE: 162 V, 161 Q, 5.0 AW

Observation: 162 hours across 5ish settings

EC: undergrad research experience (not PT-related), employment history, and limited volunteer experience

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to both last cycle. Ultimately I didn’t choose to go to either, but I went to USF for undergrad and I personally love Tampa. The area by USF isn’t necessarily the most amazing place, but Tampa in general is pretty awesome in my opinion. I’m way less familiar with Fort Lauderdale, but it’s a cool area too

Tuition was an important factor for me, so as soon as I was accepted to any Florida public schools I stopped considering any private schools. So I never gave any thought to NOVA really

USF has recently undergone some changes (maybe 3 years ago?). They used to be linked with the med school, so apparently students had several classes with med students. That’s different now thankfully, so it’s more traditional and on its own since the med school moved downtown

I shadowed a recent USF DPT grad who had great things to say about it, but he was still there right before the changes were made and right before a new director came. So it’s hard to value his advice too much

I was seriously considering USF so I arranged a meeting to see the facilities, and they’re great. The PT school has its own separate building which is pretty sweet. I also arranged a phone call with a different recent USF DPT grad who also had great things to say about the program

Ultimately I chose to go elsewhere because of some personal preferences in the curriculum and philosophy of practice. But USF has a great reputation, and I’m sure it’s a great program

Sorry I know next to nothing about NOVA’s program

My stats:
cGPA: 3.53
pGPA: 3.33 ish

GRE: 162 V, 161 Q, 5.0 AW

Observation: 162 hours across 5ish settings

EC: undergrad research experience (not PT-related), employment history, and limited volunteer experience
Thank you for that insight it was super helpful! I had heard negative things about USF being linked with the med school so I'm glad things have changed. Your stats are also super helpful, thank you for taking the time to share.

Reactions: 1 user