Florida State Dental Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheerios

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone out there could give me details about the Florida State board exam. What does the exam consist of? What do past people taking it say about the exam? What is the pass rate? Is it only offered twice a year? I know it's alot of questions, but I was just curious. I have awhile to go until I'm at that point, but my plan is to move to Florida and I was hoping someone out there had some good information for me.
Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Direct copy/paste from the Florida Board of Dentistry Licensure:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/dentistry/dn_lic_req.html

Dentistry

An applicant shall be entitled to take the examination required in this section to practice dentistry in Florida if he/she:

Is 18 years of age or older;

Is a graduate of a dental school accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of the American Dental Association or its successor agency, if any, or any other nationally recognized accrediting agency;

Has successfully completed the National Board of Dental Examiners dental examination with 10 years of the date of application.

If an applicant is a graduate of a dental college or school not accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of American Dental Association or of a dental college or school not approved by the board, he shall not be entitled to take the examination required in this section to practice dentistry until he/she:

Completes a program of study, as defined by the board by rule, at an accredited American dental school and demonstrates receipt of a D.D.S. or D.M.D. from said school; or

Completes a 2-year supplemental dental education program at an accredited dental school and receives a dental diploma, degree, or certificate as evidence of program completion.

Once qualified, an applicant must successfully complete the following to be licensed as a dentist in this state:

A written examination on the laws an rules of the state regulating the practice of dentistry;

A practical or clinical examination, which shall be administered and graded by dentists licensed in this state and employed by the department for just such purpose.

The practical examination shall include:

Two restorations, and the board by rule shall determine the class of such restorations and whether they shall be performed on mannequins, live patients. or both. At least one restoration shall be on a live patient;

A demonstration of periodontal skills on a live patient.

A demonstration of prosthetics and restorative skills in complete and partial dentures and crowns and bridges and the utilization of practical methods of evaluation, specifically including the evaluation by the candidate of completed laboratory products such as, but not limited to, crowns and inlays filled to prepared model teeth.

A demonstration of restorative skills on a mannequin which requires the candidate to complete procedures performed in preparation for a cast restoration; and

A demonstration of endodontic skills.

If the applicant fails to pass the clinical examination in three attempts, he/she shall not be eligible for reexamination unless he/she completes additional educational requirements established by the board.

The board may by rule provide for additional procedures which are to be tested, provided such procedures shall be common to the practice of general dentistry. The board by rule shall determine the passing grade for each procedure and the acceptable variation for examiners.

Passing rate for 2001 seniors from both Florida dental schools were in the mid 80s range.

That's all I know.

Florida dental boards may be the toughest in the country. I'm about to take mine this weekend/next week. The whole process is absurd. But, they are clearly trying to control the number of dentists that come to Florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
So. How was the test? What can you say? What is the passing rate? I heard the exam at NOVA is easier to take. (is it true?)

If I had the opportunity to take the boards for a Fl license, by taking the ADEX in another state, I would. The exams may be the same, but Fl exam in FL is noted for rejecting patients at a very high rate. Take the exam outside of FL

If you pass the Florida board exam, is your liscence good for the rest of your career, whether or not you actively use it?

Why all the hoops? Do dentists really want to go to Florida that badly?
I mean the winter is great, but 90 degrees with a 90% humidity gives you an obscenely high heat index in the summer.
Staying there in August was just terrible. I thought maybe northern Florida would be different, but not so much.
It's like winter in Michigan - you just don't want to go outside.
I understand why people choose to face down the competition in Southern California. Florida, again, not so much.

Out of curiosity, where in this country of ours do you think you could get away with mild temperatures (50-80 F) year round without killing yourself battling the competition?

Edit: Ya know, I think I'll make a new thread for this one.

I need help with the Law and Rules exam, please help me, I need practice questions.

I need help with the Law and Rules exam, please help me, I need practice questions.
There is an excellent law course for the FL Laws & Rules exam. Check the internet. Do a search: Florida law dental exam

Does Anyone have any tips on studying for the Florida Law and Rules Exams. Please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Hi Frank,
Did anyone provide you with tips on how to prepare for this exam? I'm taking the Laws and Rules exam soon and am in need of some advice or suggestions on how to best prepare. Please respond and your convenience and thanks for any advice!
Ami