Florida's Ortho Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koobpheej

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any insight on this as a stepping stone to an ortho residency?? Are there any other similar progrmas out there?? I know there are a ferw ortho research fellowship programs, any info on those? Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in doing ortho research too. Any information would be appreciated.

I heard some good things from a friend that did the fellowship at UF. They treat patients and take classes together with the residents, as well as become involved in Ortho research projects. There was a point in the program (up until its 6th or 7th year- don't quote me on that) where routinely everyone who went through it got accepted the following year, either at UF or in different places. However in the last 2 to 3 years some people haven't gotten in. They take 4 fellows each year, it cost about $15,000 tuition (again this may not be exactly the right amount). I think it is definetely worth it to consider an Ortho fellowship if you don't get in. Especially if you are sick of general dentistry and don't feel like doing a GPR:laugh:

As for other programs, I know UCLA and NYU have also Ortho fellowships, but they are geared towards foreign-trained dentists. Chicago has a cranio-facial ortho fellowship http://uillinoismedcenter.org/content.cfm/craniofacial_education
Michigan has a fellowship as well and I believe Case Western also offers one.
Hope it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Connecticut accepts 3 fellows.

You have to pay them AND give them free labor? Jeez.

Sucks to pay tuition for an ortho fellowship, but realistically ortho programs can only charge a patient when they commit to a lengthy treatment plan. Obviously this is unlike OMS where the department can charge for every tooth an intern extracts. Fellows aren't around longer than a year to actually finish cases, so they'd just be starting a bunch of cases and dumping them on the regular residents when they matched at other programs. It's possible that the program doesn't even have enough patients to go around, so all new starts go to residents and not fellows. So they're really not doing any free labor more than a dental assistant, unless they are involved in some research projects. Besides, there are so many unmatched applicants after match day, offering a tuition fellowship seems like it would be a nice way for a department to bring in some extra effortless cash.

An Orthodontic Fellowship is available to U.S. and Foreign Dental Graduates

The Department of Orthodontics offers an advanced education course entitled "Fellowship in Orthodontics for the General Practitioner." The experience is tailored to the desires of the fellow with experiences in clinical orthodontics, orthodontic case analysis, clinical or basic research and didactic orthodontic courseware all available. This course is designed to give the fellow an experience in clinical orthodontics that will equip them to do more extensive orthodontic treatment in their general practice. The fellow can work in the faculty's intramural practice, under the direction of the full-time professors up to two days per week. In addition, the fellow may attend several departmentally offered courses and clinical case conferences that the orthodontic residents take. We also offer the fellow an opportunity to work on a basic or clinical research project during the course. The research may be presented at the International Association of Dental Research meeting and could also be published in the orthodontic literature.

This course is for one calendar year (three 4 month terms) and the tuition is $6,000/term or $18,000/year. There is an option of reducing or taking additional terms if desired. At the completion of the Fellowship, a certificate of attendance in this course from the Department will be awarded.

The other interesting thing is that every other specialty in the world uses the term "fellowship" to refer to a time of sub-specialty training after your specialty training.

The other interesting thing is that every other specialty in the world uses the term "fellowship" to refer to a time of sub-specialty training after your specialty training.

I think they mean a dental fellowship.

But then again, what's a church fellowship?

I'm not sure that doing the fellowship at Florida (or anywhere) is quite the tool for getting into a residency that it used to be. I personally wouldn't do one. I don't think it gives you any real advantage if your scores and class rank are weak.