Flossing Vs. WaterPik?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Actually, I don't know. What is interproximal? Why does it need flossing/any attention at all? Getting this information out of any dentist is usually rather difficult. It's like they think modern young people don't want to know this stuff. I am a student, but of mechanical engineering, so words like "interproximal" do not have significant meaning besides maybe picking apart their etymology. My searching online has been mostly fruitless except for that study and this forum, else I would just lookup interproximal myself. Is interproximal that area where the teeth contact each other at the top of the molars/premolars/whatever-the-hell-they're-called? Thanks for the word "interproximal"! It is a clue in this mystery of why dentists want us to floss... or is it the dental hygienists who want us to floss?

"Interproximal" means in between the neighboring teeth. This is where floss does it's work, because it is hard to get tooth brush bristles between teeth. Also "proximal contact" is just where the neighbor teeth contact each other (your contacts must be heavy hence your rough time trying to force floss between your teeth). The "interdental papilla" is the flap of gingiva (gums) that fills up the space between your teeth.

If you have healthy gums and a healthy interproximal area, you should have no BOP (bleeding on probing). Absence of BOP means that you will most likely not get periodontitis and lose your teeth.

So each tooth has five main surfaces, facial aka buccal(near the cheak or lip,), lingual (near the tongue), a Mesial(front) and Distal(back) interproximal, and an occlusal (top) surface.

Having said all that, i'm a second year dental student and floss my teeth maybe twice a week using the plackers.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. I tried the Waterpik, and it's far too much trouble when flossing takes me 30 seconds. I just make it a habit to floss every time I brush, and I don't even think about it now.

Edit: To be fair, I can understand how it might be helpful for those with braces. Otherwise, way too unwieldy and unreliable for my taste.

Last edited:
Remember to use the modified bass method of brushing

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I found it upon Googling waterpik and hydrogen peroxide :)

I'm not a dentist or dental student, but a 40-something computer programmer who's had some pereo issues, so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any insight for a 'layman.'

Throughout my 20's and 30's I was not very good about flossing, or even brushing for that matter. Even so, have had no cavities for at least 15 years I think. However, I've had to get scaling done both in my late 20's and early 40's, specifically last year. My dentist had concern over a deep pocket in the backmost tooth on the upper left, and said there was bone loss, but wanted to check back a few months later after I'd healed a bit from the scaling. Unfortunately I had to switch jobs and insurance and now have no dental, ugh.

Since last year, I've been pretty good about flossing and would say on average over the past year I probably did it at least 4, maybe 5 days a week.

My father-in-law lives with us and he has lost most of his teeth, unfortunately, but told me about what he's done to manage to keep his last remaining few. He had heard somewhere (this was back 10-20 years ago perhaps?) that using a waterpik-like device with hydrogen peroxide could be very effective and so started doing this. He claims that before he started, these few remaining teeth were really not in good shape, kind of loose and he really feared they'd all be lost. Well, he started using this and he still has them, and they're in good shape now. I know, it's anecdotal, but like him, my thought is, it probably is not going to hurt and could possibly help, so why not? Hydrogen peroxide is very cheap, and you don't have to use a ton of it.

So I finally got one on sale at Target a couple of weeks ago and have basically been switching off so that every night I at least brush, but I also alternate between flossing and the waterpik - usually floss two days in a row, followed by waterpik on the third day and repeat. Sometimes this varies a bit, but in general I stick to that. I've wondered if I should just do the waterpik every day, or even do both flossing and waterpik. My only concern about doing both would be that it already can take a while to brush, waterpik, then rinse with mouthwash, and adding flossing to that means a good 15 minutes or more. Given that I've had trouble in the past motivating myself just to brush, let alone floss, I don't want to present too many hurdles.

Responding to some of your points in this thread: when I was at my dentist last year and talking to him (or maybe to the hygenist) about flossing, their take, at least for someone with pereo issues, was that the main benefit of flossing was not so much in removing particles from between your teeth, but in actually stimulating your gums, and stimulating them helped them stay healthy. Or at least it was AS important as removing stuff. Not sure how accurate that was, or perhaps I'm not remembering it or didn't understand it well enough, but in any case, my thought given the question of which is better, flossing or waterpik, is since I don't know (and since the studies don't seem to be definitive yet), why not do both, just on alternate days? That way if one is better than the other, you are kind of splitting the difference, right?

As far as those who wonder how water could be as effective as floss, I'd just suggest you TRY one of these devices. The strength that it pushes water into your teeth and gums can be pretty great. I general, my mouth feels a lot cleaner after a session with the waterpik than it does with flossing. Flossing can remove particles between teeth, but it doesn't feel like it's cleaning as deeply with as good a coverage as the waterpik.

One final question is that the waterpik manual says something about using mouthwash (it doesn't mention hydrogen peroxide), so I'm wondering if anyone's every tried that and how those two different substances can differ in terms of their effects on your teeth and gums.

Thanks!

Well, I'm an advocate for both flossing and Water Pik, but, nothing replaces floss. It's the manual removal of plaque and food debris that improves oral health and prevents caries. So, I recommend using floss and Water Pik in conjunction with one another.

In relation to the question about rinses, I have heard of people adding Listerine to the water in the Water Pik resevoir. I'm not sure how much bacteria that gets rid of, but it doesn't hurt.

Remember...only floss the teeth you want to keep. :cool:

This thread is bordering on a TOS violation because we here on SDN do not give medical/dental advice. The best homecare regimen for you should be developed between you and your dental provider.

With that said, I do not advise my patients to use hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash because it has been shown to cause the oral tissues to slough. Water piks are great for the patient who does not or cannot floss but the mechanical disruption of a plaque biofilm is best achieved with flossing.

I encourage you to go back to your dentist (insurance or no) to seek perio maintenance because even with impeccable home care it is very difficult to clean to the depth of a periodontal pocket.

What's about adding a few ml's of hydrogen peroxide to the water that you use in the waterpik. a dentist told me to be careful with that cause it might actually stain my teeth in the long run, do you mind quickly going over the pathophysiology of that?

You should be careful using hydrogen peroxide because it can cause the mucosa to slough and be irritating to the oral linings. You can add listerine or other mouthrinses to the water and use those to irrigate. You also never want to aim into the sulcus just the interproximal surfaces.

if you floss correctly you should not be cutting your gingiva. You can floss before or after it does not matter.

I think the waterpik is an extra expense you just don't want a patient spending. Flossing has worked, it's always worked, it's worked better and for less.

Innovation is changing dentistry, but we don't need to rush it.

this post should of added a poll !

Hey, this is my first post here. I'm searching for the answer to why some people think flossing is important, while me and all my friends who are about my age (24) do not floss, and seem none the worse for wear. Following is a rather long-winded explanation of the view I hold of flossing and questions of the WaterPik (hence why it is this forum) are in there as well. If this is too long-winded just delete it and I'll try again with less rambling... anyways, no offense is meant against any individual.

Someone poster in another site: "I can't shake the feeling that flossing is for saps", and neither can I. I've rarely floss, and pretty much only do so if I have something stuck in there that's annoying me.
This latest time I went to the dentist, one the dental hygienists (yes, the your-suggested-tooth-cleaning-scheme-seems-insane-to-everyone-but-other-dental-hygienists) types) said I have gingivitis. Now, they say its not from flossing, but I think that since I've never had it before, or any cavities for a very long time (many years), and the only thing I did different tooth-maintenance-wise since last visit was drink large amounts of Gaviscon right before bed (after brushing)... so, personally I think this is the cause, since I never had the problem until I deviated from my regular maintenance system (I thought, "oh, its medicine, no harm there... but in retrospect that seems to be an unfounded assumption). Now, I was a bit worried (which I now regret, as it seems that I can never get a good reason for flossing from anyone other than it'll let you keep your teeth and not get cavities, and I haven't lost my teeth nor have I gotten cavities, thus all data from the dentist-office-types will be held as suspect until I hunt down unbiased research and interpret it for myself), so I thought: "a world of flossing everyday... I'd rather lose my teeth... die 5 years earlier... anything but flossing... so I bought this "WaterPik" thing since I loathe flossing (I can't get the floss to go in between without using quite a lot of force, which then tends to make me cut into my gums once it finally gets through them)... Anyways, the website said it should replace flossing, so I thought it was alright. Now, I don't just trust the manufacturer's word that their product is teh win, so I sent a request for data to the CDA as they encourage people to do on their website (to which I got no response), and my dentist said it was less important then flossing.

Again, sorry (but not very) if you're offended by this, but it really is my view. So is my signature. And I know some who agree with me. So, I thought I'd ask some fellow students for their opinion, hopefully someone will have an answer other than the stereotypical dentist-office malarkey of preventing cavities (which I don't usually get anyways) and keeping your teeth (we DO have orthodontics in the year 2009, and if they're not that good then we humans can always build a better one! With lasers! And automatic whipped-cream dispensers! And automatic anti-floss cannons!)

By Numidium, I hope I don't get kicked from here before I get an answer...

You sound like many a patient I've encountered before. You refuse to listen to experts that tell you that it's because you don't floss. YOU'RE IN DENIAL! Reminds me of people that are overweight that make excuses not do any weight-training for fear of growing bigger.
Gum disease is complicated but it tends to take hold as you get older. The fact that it hasn't affected you thus far is just your youth and a bit of luck. If you were to take some of that bacterial film off your teeth and visualize it under a microscope you would see thousands of bacteria of different types just having a party. This is what your body is trying to fight off. If you just use a waterpik the biofilm won't be disturbed as much as if you floss. (get ready, analogy coming) Would you wash your car with just hosing it down with water? Nope you need to mechanically clean off that dirt. That's why a toothbrush and floss are ideal.

Just to add: I have lot's of patients that solely use the waterpik and also have periodontal disease of varying degrees. Hmmm guess it's not really working for them.

You sound like many a patient I've encountered before. You refuse to listen to experts that tell you that it's because you don't floss. YOU'RE IN DENIAL! Reminds me of people that are overweight that make excuses not do any weight-training for fear of growing bigger.
Gum disease is complicated but it tends to take hold as you get older. The fact that it hasn't affected you thus far is just your youth and a bit of luck. If you were to take some of that bacterial film off your teeth and visualize it under a microscope you would see thousands of bacteria of different types just having a party. This is what your body is trying to fight off. If you just use a waterpik the biofilm won't be disturbed as much as if you floss. (get ready, analogy coming) Would you wash your car with just hosing it down with water? Nope you need to mechanically clean off that dirt. That's why a toothbrush and floss are ideal.

Just to add: I have lot's of patients that solely use the waterpik and also have periodontal disease of varying degrees. Hmmm guess it's not really working for them.

So I agree with this post I'm just curious, what patients? Are you a hygienist applying to dental school? (I just noticed your signature said class of 2017 so you haven't started dental school yet). I'm not trying to slam or discredit you in any way I was just a little confused. Good post though :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I agree with this post I'm just curious, what patients? Are you a hygienist applying to dental school? (I just noticed your signature said class of 2017 so you haven't started dental school yet). I'm not trying to slam or discredit you in any way I was just a little confused. Good post though :thumbup:

Yes, I should have added that I'm a practicing dental hygienist and thanks ( :

A water pik is great for someone who has an inability to floss, like elderly patients for example. It is better than nothing.. But thinking about.. Floss has a manual action of actively removing material itself. Here's my example: When using peanut butter with a knife.. you can put it in the dishwasher and it often comes out dirty still... YOu need to physically wipe it before you wash it. Using a water pik won't get everything.. but it might get some of it... something to think about. that's the same thing I have to tell patients when they don't brush and say they use mouth wash.... It's a good analogy many people can relate to.

I think removing biofilm/plaque really requires something more abrasive than a Waterpik. Unless you have orthodontics, maybe you should stick to flossing.

I would say it depends on the state your teeth and gums are in. I personally am in my 30s and I have never flossed in my life. I did use to have a water jet type of a device years ago which I used irregularly until it broke one day. I was amazed at how much food was still left in my mouth after brushing. That water jet dislodged tons of stuff.

The water jet broke a few years ago so all I did was brush, and even that not really regularly. As a result, my teeth and gums are not in very good shape as I have discovered in the past year.I had two wisdom teeth pulled and my gums bleed sometimes when I brush. I recently purchased my first ever dental floss and tried to use it. It was awkward, frustrating and painful. I couldn't get the thread between my teeth, I don't have the right grip, my hands are too big and my mouth is too small to reach inside. Those gaps which I did reach hurt and bled. It was a disaster with the floss. So I went ahead and ordered me a Waterpik which I am still waiting for today. Since the condition of my gums is rather poor, the only thing I will be able to use is Waterpik, at least until they recover (if they do). Then maybe I will try it again with the floss.

People with healthy teeth and gums don't have this problem with pain and bleeding so their view is skewed and biased. From my experience, water jet devices worked very well (while I was actually using them) and for people with sensitive gums they are perfect.

I would say that the waterpik is better than nothing at all if the patient is more compliant in using it. But I think manual flossing is probably more reliable based on some of the articles people posted.

I got the Waterpik today and quickly gave it a try. I brushed and used a regular floss last night and had no meals until today when I used Waterpik. Still, the Waterpik pushed out some more food that I apparently didn't get out even with the floss, plus it was way more comfortable, although a little bit more messy with the water and all. Like I said before I have sensitive gums at the moment and I don't dare push the floss too deep cause it always causes bleeding. I got no bleeding with the Waterpik and I still got more junk out that I failed to with the floss. So from my experience, Waterpik is muck better and more effective. Sure, if I have my hands free while I watch a movie I will take the regular floss and use it, just because I'm paranoid, but Waterpik will be my primary floss.

I also wanted to reply to those comparisons some people used here, with the garden/pressure hose and a sponge ... like ... which one would clean your kitchen floor better. Well if you're gonna do a comparison like that then be fair and use better analogy. If you compare a Waterpik to a pressure hose then compare a regular floss to a rope between two hands and not to a sponge.

So imagine a big vase with clumps of dirt all over it. You got a pressure hose and a rope which you hold between your two hands and you try to clean the vase all around. Are you gonna do a better job with a pressure hose or the rope ? I'd pick the pressure hose! Actually, the Waterpik also includes tips with tiny brushes on them so let's make that a pressure hose and a brush.

Last edited:
The bleeding is a sign of infection not a result of flossing. Your gums should be strong and if you floss properly over time they will not bleed. Yes you want to clear away the food but the infection is a result of biofilm (aka bacterial plaque). The biofilm adheres to the tooth surface and is really only removed by manual means. Think of other biofilms, like a slimy rock in a pond. Can you clean that rock with flowing water....nope you would have to scrub it. If you can't floss because of physical constraints then the waterpik is def better than nothing but if you want to basically get better and avoid periodontal disease if you don't already have it, then FLOSS!

Like I may have mentioned previously I have been an RDH for many years and I have patients with moderate to advanced interproximal periodontal disease that only use the waterpik. If they flossed this would not be an issue. Often times the only deep pockets and bleeding are isolated to the interproximal area, indicating that this area is being neglected. The deeper the pocket the more difficult the access. The waterpik cannot access subgingival, in fact it should only be used at a perpendicular angle at the gumline. When you floss you hug the tooth and then submerge it under the tissue (the problem area) until you feel resistance, then move it up and down against the tooth.

Last edited:
I reversed my gingivitis through meticulous flossing. I don't see how the Waterpik cleans under the gumline seeing as it it should be positioned perpendicularly. If most are angling the pik at the gumline they could be damaging their tissues.
I tried an oral irrigatior and I wasn't impressed.

I got the Waterpik today and quickly gave it a try. I brushed and used a regular floss last night and had no meals until today when I used Waterpik. Still, the Waterpik pushed out some more food that I apparently didn't get out even with the floss, plus it was way more comfortable, although a little bit more messy with the water and all. Like I said before I have sensitive gums at the moment and I don't dare push the floss too deep cause it always causes bleeding. I got no bleeding with the Waterpik and I still got more junk out that I failed to with the floss. So from my experience, Waterpik is muck better and more effective. Sure, if I have my hands free while I watch a movie I will take the regular floss and use it, just because I'm paranoid, but Waterpik will be my primary floss.

I also wanted to reply to those comparisons some people used here, with the garden/pressure hose and a sponge ... like ... which one would clean your kitchen floor better. Well if you're gonna do a comparison like that then be fair and use better analogy. If you compare a Waterpik to a pressure hose then compare a regular floss to a rope between two hands and not to a sponge.

So imagine a big vase with clumps of dirt all over it. You got a pressure hose and a rope which you hold between your two hands and you try to clean the vase all around. Are you gonna do a better job with a pressure hose or the rope ? I'd pick the pressure hose! Actually, the Waterpik also includes tips with tiny brushes on them so let's make that a pressure hose and a brush.

Facepalm.

Facepalm.

Student ...
vil2_bebe.gif

Last edited:
The bleeding is a sign of infection not a result of flossing. Your gums should be strong and if you floss properly over time they will not bleed. Yes you want to clear away the food but the infection is a result of biofilm (aka bacterial plaque). The biofilm adheres to the tooth surface and is really only removed by manual means. Think of other biofilms, like a slimy rock in a pond. Can you clean that rock with flowing water....nope you would have to scrub it. If you can't floss because of physical constraints then the waterpik is def better than nothing but if you want to basically get better and avoid periodontal disease if you don't already have it, then FLOSS!

Like I may have mentioned previously I have been an RDH for many years and I have patients with moderate to advanced interproximal periodontal disease that only use the waterpik. If they flossed this would not be an issue. Often times the only deep pockets and bleeding are isolated to the interproximal area, indicating that this area is being neglected. The deeper the pocket the more difficult the access. The waterpik cannot access subgingival, in fact it should only be used at a perpendicular angle at the gumline. When you floss you hug the tooth and then submerge it under the tissue (the problem area) until you feel resistance, then move it up and down against the tooth.

Hmm, I kinda decided to do both for now. I'll try to floss in the morning and Waterpik before I go to bed. I'm wary of flossing since I'm having problems accessing the gaps with the floss and I get my fingers all messy, heh. Plus it hurts a little between the back teeth and on two places I start bleeding immediately. I don't dare push the floss there. Waterpik is better in those cases and still gets stuff out, probably more than I would get out with the floss alone. I hope that's enough to allow my gums to heal in that area so they stop hurting and bleeding. Then I can do a better job with a floss there. But for the moment I think using both is the best way. I also rinse with Listerine every night so hopefully that will help in fighting that biofilm as well. I'm wondering though why Listerine stings so much. I've been using it for some months and it's still so strong it almost brings tears to my eyes. I've been reading about some dental professionals recommending not using alcohol based mouthwashes. But I hear Listerine is the best mouthwash by far. All others I've tried (even those labeled "Xtra Mint") are like water compared to Listerine. Now I'm not sure. I hope it's not drying/hurting my mouth. The reason I am using mouthwash is to prevent any bacteria that might have survived brushing/flossing from having fun at night. I don't rinse for the sake of having fresh breath. Anyway, thanks for your reply and explanations.

Last edited:
Hmm, I kinda decided to do both for now. I'll try to floss in the morning and Waterpik before I go to bed. I'm wary of flossing since I'm having problems accessing the gaps with the floss and I get my fingers all messy, heh. Plus it hurts a little between the back teeth and on two places I start bleeding immediately. I don't dare push the floss there. Waterpik is better in those cases and still gets stuff out, probably more than I would get out with the floss alone. I hope that's enough to allow my gums to heal in that area so they stop hurting and bleeding. Then I can do a better job with a floss there. But for the moment I think using both is the best way. I also rinse with Listerine every night so hopefully that will help in fighting that biofilm as well. I'm wondering though why Listerine stings so much. I've been using it for some months and it's still so strong it almost brings tears to my eyes. I've been reading about some dental professionals recommending not using alcohol based mouthwashes. But I hear Listerine is the best mouthwash by far. All others I've tried (even those labeled "Xtra Mint") are like water compared to Listerine. Now I'm not sure. I hope it's not drying/hurting my mouth. The reason I am using mouthwash is to prevent any bacteria that might have survived brushing/flossing from having fun at night. I don't rinse for the sake of having fresh breath. Anyway, thanks for your reply and explanations.

I think that's the issue with a lot of my patients if they can't see stuff coming out then they figure what's the point. Bacteria is microscopic....I think you can line up as many as 1000 bacteria on the head of a pin. Biofilm contains so much bacteria that you can scrape it off your tooth with your nail. It is cottage cheese like and somewhat tooth colored. Also when they floss and their tissue bleeds, human nature is to not do that again. The fact is that the flossing does not cause bleeding, the bleeding is caused by the existing infection in the gums. Imagine a splinter in your finger. If you get to it immediately your finger heals quickly. Now imagine you can't remove the splinter and the tissue begins to get red, swollen and painful. This is because the splinter itself is an irritant as well as the bacteria that was introduced to the tissue. So now your body is trying to fight this infection by bringing in blood cells that fight off infection. Now you really have to get that splinter out but when you try it bleeds and it hurts, but when you finally get it out and cleanse the area your tissue will heal.
If you are young and only have gingivitis, I guarantee by flossing properly in that area the tissue will return to normal. That's provided you have recently had your teeth cleaned properly. Check out youtube videos for proper flossing and try a different technique w/ holding your floss. Many people wind it around the index fingers when you should in fact wind it around your middle fingers. Good luck!

I'm no expert or anything, but hosing down the car with the right pressure of water is FAR better then trying to abrasively scrub off the dirt or just moving the dirt around. Which is what flossing does and much more so if you do it wrong, meaning instead of going up and down in-between the teeth, many people floss back and forth along the gum. From personal experience, my friend had an abscess pocket like thing near his wisdom tooth and nothing could get rid of the stink and pain he had there (he currently doesn't have the money to take care of it either) he tried listerine, flossing and everything and nothing worked. Then he got a water pik and said that he bled a LOT the very first use and two black particles came out and it hurt. After that he only bled a little the next time and now not at all.
High pressure water and steam cleaning are the most effective forms of cleaning everything and I would think that would apply to teeth as well (though steam cleaning not so much, most people wouldn't be able to handle the heat required and it's probably bad for the teeth too.) From what I can tell, high pressure waterpik going in-between the teeth.

Also, as someone else mentioned, gum disease as well as periodontal can still happen anyway no matter what because diseases in general are more complicated then "You do this right and you won't get this" No disease works like that, except for a few isolated ones I would venture. You can eat well all your life, exercise, lower stress and still get cancer. Sadly the human body is still being understood and it's hard to know what really works and what doesn't. :confused:

Over all the analogy that water hose vs scrubbing = scrubbing is better for cleaning is wrong. A slow flow of water as in a river or stream with the pond scum = bacteria analogy < scrubbing, but high pressure jet is vastly superior to scrubbing by a LONG shot. If you could just take your whole house and get everything out of there except for things you need to clean and go to town with a high pressure jet of water to blast away dirt, that would be awesome. Problem is you don't want your house to be soaked. Doesn't matter for your mouth though, it's always wet anyway, lol. :laugh:

I'm no expert or anything, but hosing down the car with the right pressure of water is FAR better then trying to abrasively scrub off the dirt or just moving the dirt around. Which is what flossing does and much more so if you do it wrong, meaning instead of going up and down in-between the teeth, many people floss back and forth along the gum. From personal experience, my friend had an abscess pocket like thing near his wisdom tooth and nothing could get rid of the stink and pain he had there (he currently doesn't have the money to take care of it either) he tried listerine, flossing and everything and nothing worked. Then he got a water pik and said that he bled a LOT the very first use and two black particles came out and it hurt. After that he only bled a little the next time and now not at all.
High pressure water and steam cleaning are the most effective forms of cleaning everything and I would think that would apply to teeth as well (though steam cleaning not so much, most people wouldn't be able to handle the heat required and it's probably bad for the teeth too.) From what I can tell, high pressure waterpik going in-between the teeth.

Also, as someone else mentioned, gum disease as well as periodontal can still happen anyway no matter what because diseases in general are more complicated then "You do this right and you won't get this" No disease works like that, except for a few isolated ones I would venture. You can eat well all your life, exercise, lower stress and still get cancer. Sadly the human body is still being understood and it's hard to know what really works and what doesn't. :confused:

Over all the analogy that water hose vs scrubbing = scrubbing is better for cleaning is wrong. A slow flow of water as in a river or stream with the pond scum = bacteria analogy < scrubbing, but high pressure jet is vastly superior to scrubbing by a LONG shot. If you could just take your whole house and get everything out of there except for things you need to clean and go to town with a high pressure jet of water to blast away dirt, that would be awesome. Problem is you don't want your house to be soaked. Doesn't matter for your mouth though, it's always wet anyway, lol. :laugh:

Ask any dentist or hygienist what is the ideal when it comes to prevention....it is brushing and flossing. Everything else is 2nd best. I recommend all sorts of gadgets for my patients when they can't or refuse to floss. I also teach them the correct technique. That's why visiting a dentist is so important. There is no science behind why one thing didn't work and another did for your friend but even with no money there are places that will provide care, ie, dental clinics and schools. Wisdom teeth are a different animal. Sometimes they just have to come out. When you go to dental school and take periodontology, come back here and let me know what your opinion is :laugh:

You can use the Waterpik along with dental floss if it gives you good results!!! Anyway, what matters is we should get a clean and healthy mouth. If something gives you results you must continue doing it. You can try out Waterpik WP-560. It's a cordless water flosser.

However, coming to the correct process, brushing first and flossing next is the way I follow. It works well for me. You can try it too.
Poor OP, he/she has had food stuck in his/her teeth for the past 9 years. (check the original post date :p)

Both are fine, it is better if it is being followed by brushing well.

Waterpik is an absolutely useless device

Reactions: 1 user
I pour some Hibiclens on a plate and run the floss thru it then go to town. Makes a big difference.

Flossing for sure.

Water pik is good for cleaning underneathe the bridges. It's one of the recommendations for that purpose when your floss cannot reach to that spot anymore.