• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

ssiding

10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
A fluid of density p flows through a horizontal pipe with negligile viscosity. The flow is streamline with constant flow rate. The diamer f the pipe at point 1 is d and the flow speed is v. If the diamer of teh pipe at point 2 is d/3, then the pressure at point 2 is

A. less that the pressure at point 1 by 4pv^s
B. less than the pressure at point 1 by 40pv^2
C. more than the pressure at point 1 by 4pv^2
D. more than the pressure at point 1 by 40pv^2

I know the pressure will less at point 2 due to increase in flow speed but I can't figure out by how much

w0lf137

10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
A fluid of density p flows through a horizontal pipe with negligile viscosity. The flow is streamline with constant flow rate. The diamer f the pipe at point 1 is d and the flow speed is v. If the diamer of teh pipe at point 2 is d/3, then the pressure at point 2 is

A. less that the pressure at point 1 by 4pv^s
B. less than the pressure at point 1 by 40pv^2
C. more than the pressure at point 1 by 4pv^2
D. more than the pressure at point 1 by 40pv^2

I know the pressure will less at point 2 due to increase in flow speed but I can't figure out by how much

I hate problems like this that take forever.

flow rates on both ends have to equal: AV=AV
because A = (pi)r^2 we can also say the radius is half of the diameter (pi)(D/2)^2. This becomes A= (pi)(D^2/4). Now plug in the A in the AV=AV equation: (pi)(D^2/4)V=(pi)(D^2/4)V. The pi cancel out to become(D^2/4)V=(D^2/4)V

Obviously the A and V are different for each points but i didnt include subscripts to reduce confusion. from point A to point B the diameter is reduced to (1/3)D. in the above equation the (1/3)D becomes (1/9)D because the D is squared. Because of the decrease of 1/9 in the diameter, we have to have an increase in 9 in the velocity. So the new equation: (D^2/4)V=(1/9)(D^2/4)(9V)

Now to find out what the increase in 9V would do to the pressure we have to use that equation i forget who made it: P+.5pv^2+pgh=P+.5pv^2+pgh

Because the pipe is horizontal (no change in h) we can cancel out the pgh terms to have: P+.5pv^2=P+.5pv^2. Right away we can tell that the 9V on the right side of the equation will turn to 81V^2 cause the V is squared. so the equation becomes: P+.5pv^2=P+.5p(81)v^2. In the .5p(81)v^2 we get 40.5pv^2. Now we want to solve for P at point A in order to see how P at point B is changed.

Bring the +.5pv^2 to the other side:p=P+40.5pv^2 - .5pv^2
This becomes: P =P+40pv^2

As you can see at Point A the pressure is the Pressure at point B +40pv^2. So the pressure decreased by 40pv^2 from point A to Point B.

To do this faster: Automatically from your 23hr/day study for the MCAT you should have known pressure will decrease with increasing velocity so cross out C and D. Now remeber AV=AV. You need A which has r but you have D. Now you know because A=(pi)r^2, the effect on D will have a square effect on r. So 1/3 in the D becomes 1/9 in the r. The 1/9 in the r has to becomes a 9 in the v in the AV=AV. Now the 9 in the V has to be squared in that 2nd equation so it becomes 81. I first look for an answer with 81 but saw none, then i see the answers are in a pv^2 form. So divide 80/2 cause of the .5 in the .5pv^2. becoming 40.5pv^2. The left side of the equation ha a .5pv^2 canceling out my .5pv^2 in the 40.5pv^2. Either way, the answer has to be near 40pv^2.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.