Flu shot without CPR certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VictorOfHungerGames

May the odds be ever in your favor
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Management wants me to give flu shots to employees but my CPR certification expired last week. Could I or should I still give it?

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know every state but in Fl you can’t give vaccines without up to date CPR. I don’t know the penalty for violating but presumably you don’t want to risk fines, points, or license revocation. Why not just tell ‘managment’ that your CPR lapsed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you forget how to do CPR? Is the certification required by your state or company? If both are “no” then give the shots and recertifications ASAP. If anything above is a “yes” you might need to take some unplanned time off to get certified now.

If it was cvs you would have been getting constant reminders to renew

Reactions: 1 user
To clarify, my “no” is because my state requires CPR certification to administer vaccinations. I assumed all states required the same, but @zelman post seems to suggest otherwise...
Then don’t do it.

I don’t know every state but in Fl you can’t give vaccines without up to date CPR. I don’t know the penalty for violating but presumably you don’t want to risk fines, points, or license revocation. Why not just tell ‘managment’ that your CPR lapsed?

I did. Did not give it. Told them I'll get my CPR certificate updated. They ended up letting someone else do it. Btw, doesn't our immunization certification also expire? and we have to do CE to update? I thought we do immunization CE every 2 years, no?

I did. Did not give it. Told them I'll get my CPR certificate updated. They ended up letting someone else do it. Btw, doesn't our immunization certification also expire? and we have to do CE to update? I thought we do immunization CE every 2 years, no?
Not in my states

I let mine lapse since I work LTC now but yeah I think you are right.

It depends when you first got your immunization certifications. Old fogies like me who got it, got certificates that never expire. All the certificates given out nowaways do expire (I'm not sure what year was the changeover.)

But yeah, in my state CPR certification is required to give immunizations. So no, don't give an immunization if your certificate is expired. Be sure to mark on your calendar when your certificate expires in 2 years, so you can be reminded to get it renewed.

Any idea how long it takes the Department of Health to process the paperwork down here in FL? Lol. I was immunizing as an intern since 2015, just had to do it again as a pharmacist.