Fluids on the MCAT

Started by osprey099
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

osprey099

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone who has taken the MCAT before, did you ever encounter a passage on fluids in the PS section? I freaking can't understand anything fluids related; I've read through Berkeley review multiple times and also EK chapter on fluids and did some of their problems and got a ton of them wrong. I'm very good at all the other physics topics but I've never encountered fluids in my physics classes and I just can't understand them at all. So have you guys ever encountered a fluids passage on the MCAT?
 
For anyone who has taken the MCAT before, did you ever encounter a passage on fluids in the PS section? I freaking can't understand anything fluids related; I've read through Berkeley review multiple times and also EK chapter on fluids and did some of their problems and got a ton of them wrong. I'm very good at all the other physics topics but I've never encountered fluids in my physics classes and I just can't understand them at all. So have you guys ever encountered a fluids passage on the MCAT?

Aren't fluids on the MCAT fairly straight forward? Seems like there are maybe 3 equations that pertain to them
 
Just know how to work with specific gravity and buoyant forces. Along know how to decipher wording to fond what you need to answer the question.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Watch all of the khan academy physics videos. My physics class skipped fluids, so my knowledge of fluids was zero prior to MCAT studies. Now it is one of my stronger subjects thanks to Khan's great explanations.

Really? I hate fluids because my physics class never did this either but I have tpr and felt that mr.Khan skips a lot/.
 
Really? I hate fluids because my physics class never did this either but I have tpr and felt that mr.Khan skips a lot/.

Khan shows how to derive all the equations used on the MCAT from scratch and has many videos of him showing us how to solve problems using those equations. He also works to give us an intuition of how the properties of fluids make sense.

I don't recall him skipping anything MCAT related.
 
Khan shows how to derive all the equations used on the MCAT from scratch and has many videos of him showing us how to solve problems using those equations. He also works to give us an intuition of how the properties of fluids make sense.

I don't recall him skipping anything MCAT related.
alright, thanks! Ill check them out agian
 
Watch all of the khan academy physics videos. My physics class skipped fluids, so my knowledge of fluids was zero prior to MCAT studies. Now it is one of my stronger subjects thanks to Khan's great explanations.

I could not agree more with you! Khan videos are amazing - hands down, Sal would easily score a 40+ if he took the mcat.

Also, the videos on Wikipremed are very helpful, especially for topics you need more of an in-depth review in. I'm pretty sure there's a few videos that focus strictly on fluids. I haven't taken Physics 2 yet and therefore was pretty lost on magnets, mirrors, lenses, and circuits; which is nearly 50% of PS. I found Wikipremed and Khan videos to be excellent sources outside of my Kaplan and EK prep, so I'd definitely recommend them to others in a similar situation.

Good luck!