Fly out for shifts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone fly out to another state to work a few shifts every month?
If they comp your flights do they usually pay business or first class?

How was your experience if you did this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have friends who did this.
Experience: Used to be really good monitarily. The EDs were usually a garbage experience but not always so. Rates now have made it so that I only know one person who still does it (though I hear they're creeping back up again in places).

First class/business: Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

I used to do this with Weatherby during my last 2 years of residency. I'd pick up around 4 shifts a month in another state. I've never had locums pay for first class. They did pay for lodging, rental, etc.. It was fairly smooth and they handled everything. I'm just not a fan of locums and hate living in hotels and airports but some people really enjoy that life.

Reactions: 1 users

I did this for eight months or so. Wouldn't say I enjoyed it but I made some good money (could often pick up some bonuses for agreeing to hard to fill shifts) and the work wasn't too bad. Travel was taken care of and usually pretty reasonable. Don't think you're going to get first class but I sometimes paid a little extra to upgrade and at least it's tax deductible, assuming you're paid 1099.

Reactions: 1 user
I currently do this for a full-time W2 job because I work in a state not many people want to work. I did locums )out of state) prior to this so I have a decent comparison. The W2 job is ok with me living out of state and it is so much better than doing locums. I get good benefits, pay and because I offer to work a decent amount of nights, I choose my own schedule each month. Despite paying for my own flights and renting a small apartment, I am still coming out ahead compared to locums because the work is consistent and pay/benefits.
However, the downside is definitely traveling. It is starting to wear on me and I will be cutting back to part time. It's hard to not be around community of my home state for a chunk of the month. If you're ok with that downside, I think cutting out the locums company and doing everything yourself is the way to go. They have not added much value in my experience and just continue taking money out of your pocket.
Also, forget first class. You don't get paid to travel so the ideal out of state gig is a short plane ride, not one where you need to fly luxe.

Yeah I fly out for all my shifts right now.

Its actually pretty common in lots of cities with poor job markets.

The best setups involve having a direct flight, driving a short distance, and working a block of shifts. The people I know who enjoy flying out and have been doing it for years generally speaking live in major cities with good airports and will normally fly out for a maximum ten shifts a month.
While its possible to work more shifts you'll end up always being on the road and it gets exhausting constantly traveling. Plus not to mention the more traveling involved the greater risk of having flight delays and cancellations. As far as paying for all the travel expenses its very common but realize that in most cases this is taken out from your hourly rate. In my experience its better to just ask for a higher rate and cover it on your own which allows you to put everything on your credit card so you can get the rewards points for travel expenses.

Reactions: 2 users
When I had time to do locums, I frequently flew. They would not pay for first class.
I bet Dom Bagnoli flies first class and they pay for his tickets too.

Back in the better days of locums money I chartered a plane for ~3000 for a shift. One of the large CMGs reimbursed me for it. I figured I was still ahead as the 12 hour shift was paying $5300 (IIRC).

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Back in the better days of locums money I chartered a plane for ~3000 for a shift. One of the large CMGs reimbursed me for it. I figured I was still ahead as the 12 hour shift was paying $5300 (IIRC).

Dang! Did you get to choose the route? Must have been fun!

Wook

This is all very helpful information. It is sort of unfortunate that we would be expected to travel cattle class. I mean, is it not for BUSINESS that we are being flown??? Argh!

So, question: I would not be able to deduct travel if I am w-2?

Members don't see this ad :)
1. No, unless you're traveling for a gig in which you are paid in an IC/1099 format.
2. Aren't you a bird?! Fly yourself, dammit.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I fly out for all my shifts right now.

Its actually pretty common in lots of cities with poor job markets.

The best setups involve having a direct flight, driving a short distance, and working a block of shifts. The people I know who enjoy flying out and have been doing it for years generally speaking live in major cities with good airports and will normally fly out for a maximum ten shifts a month.
While its possible to work more shifts you'll end up always being on the road and it gets exhausting constantly traveling. Plus not to mention the more traveling involved the greater risk of having flight delays and cancellations. As far as paying for all the travel expenses its very common but realize that in most cases this is taken out from your hourly rate. In my experience its better to just ask for a higher rate and cover it on your own which allows you to put everything on your credit card so you can get the rewards points for travel expenses.
Crazy that this is where the market is right now. I also know a few people who do this in EM. When I was in med school, I never imagined a career where I would fly multiple times per month.

This is all very helpful information. It is sort of unfortunate that we would be expected to travel cattle class. I mean, is it not for BUSINESS that we are being flown??? Argh!

So, question: I would not be able to deduct travel if I am w-2?
If you're flying somewhere for shifts, presumably it's a more rural area? Do they even have business class? None of these small regional flights I fly on have that. The first row is just the first row. Also, you want a locums company to pay for business class they'll just take out of your pay... I met a locum doc once who didn't use a rental car on assignment so he could pocket more $$$.

I personally don't like the idea of flying out for shifts as it means you are beholden to the airline schedule. You're potentially adding two unpaid days to your work week for travel there and travel back. The sites with the very lucrative rates are likely to be in the middle of nowhere, meaning no direct flight. Also if your incoming flight if cancelled, that potentially means you miss your first shift and lose an entire day of income.

Back when I did the CMG travel team thing, I drove about 2.5 hrs to my furthest site for about $275 / hr as a 1099. If I had a 7am shift to start my week, I would typically depart home around 7pm after traffic had ended, arrive at hotel around 10pm, crash, and then start my work week. On the way home, I would typically drive home immediately after the end of my last shift.

They reimbursed all travel (rental, gas, tolls, hotel, food per diem) and I kept the credit card points (nice little perk).

Also how do you value your travel time and sleep time away from home? 12 hour shift at $400/hr may be great but if you have to drive to the airport, get on a plane, spend a few nights in a hotel then your real hourly can be less than half that.

Doing regular locums every month is awesome if you hate being at home and are teetering on the edge of a divorce. I loved it when I was with my ex wife...

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Being single, I would do it in a heartbeat esp with rates 7 yrs ago when I could pick 12 dys out of the month and make 600/hr.

But I was married, had 3 kids, and every shift equated to essentially 2 days including travel. Picking up 2-3 shifts a month was bearable but anymore on top of my 12 shifts was impossible.

Dang! Did you get to choose the route? Must have been fun!

Wook
Yes. Direct. Boise to Stockton. They brought the rental car out to the plan. It was lovely.

Doing regular locums every month is awesome if you hate being at home and are teetering on the edge of a divorce. I loved it when I was with my ex wife...
Not in EM, but I use to do this with bunched shifts/call.

I actually found out it was easier on the home life (and wife) because when traveling I had more time to decompress/sleep at night and could just power through the work easier, rather than coming home exhausted, being cranky and/or expected to be super dad/husband.

A little bit more of keeping the two worlds separate as long as your away stretches weren’t too long.

Not in EM, but I use to do this with bunched shifts/call.

I actually found out it was easier on the home life (and wife) because when traveling I had more time to decompress/sleep at night and could just power through the work easier, rather than coming home exhausted, being cranky and/or expected to be super dad/husband.

A little bit more of keeping the two worlds separate as long as your away stretches weren’t too long.
I hear ya, and totally recognize that some people have very non traditional arrangements. That being said, I don't think any healthy relationship thrives when one of the persons is gone half of the month. I knew a permanent, lifetime locums dude that used to quote me the same line and reasoning. Loved the uninterrupted sleep. Chance to focus on himself. Catch up on rest, blah blah. Married to this beautiful girl in FL. Talked about her all the time. Fast forward to the divorce when he found out she was having affairs while he was gone for 2 weeks every month. (And he probably was too...)

But hey, if it works for people, then it works. Even if it's weird.

Last edited:
Flying out is rough when you have family. I know a place in Texas offering $400-450/hr to its locums docs, and I can’t make myself do it. I would have done it in a heartbeat if I was younger and didn’t have kids. At some point you just value time with the kids.

I hear ya, and totally recognize that some people have very non traditional arrangements. That being said, I don't think any healthy relationship thrives when one of the persons is gone half of the month. I knew a permanent, lifetime locums dude that used to quote me the same line and reasoning. Loved the uninterrupted sleep. Chance to focus on himself. Catch up on rest, blah blah. Married to this beautiful girl in FL. Talked about her all the time. Fast forward to the divorce when he found out she was having affairs while he was gone for 2 weeks every month. (And he probably was too...)

But hey, if it works for people, then it works. Even if it's weird.

Funny, I know a Mormon guy from a Mormon state who did something similar. No idea if the wife was doing other folks when he was gone though. :(

I did this back a few years back when rates were good. I got in good with the TeamHealth lady and would book delta comfort and stay at the four seasons in the big city. This worked for about a year till TeamHealth was like bro why do your travel costs seem to be 3 times higher than everyone else. I was IC as well and the reimbursed it all. I personally wouldn't recommend it. I was never rested and I laughed when someone told me you are getting paid for the time you are gone too so factor than into your hourly rate. In hindsight they were right. You are gone that entire time sleeping in a hotel bed. It's not fun. The hospitals usually have some issue too.

I did this back a few years back when rates were good. I got in good with the TeamHealth lady and would book delta comfort and stay at the four seasons in the big city. This worked for about a year till TeamHealth was like bro why do your travel costs seem to be 3 times higher than everyone else. I was IC as well and the reimbursed it all. I personally wouldn't recommend it. I was never rested and I laughed when someone told me you are getting paid for the time you are gone too so factor than into your hourly rate. In hindsight they were right. You are gone that entire time sleeping in a hotel bed. It's not fun. The hospitals usually have some issue too.
Very true. I did the same.

I do it. I live in a major city close to the airport. Flights, hotels and cars are reimbursed.
Get an airline CC and collect points. Eventually you will hold some kind of status and be upgraded all the time. I am.
But yeah sometimes the planes don’t have 1st class.
I fly for 14 shifts a month broken up. So I take a flight every Sunday or Monday going to and fro.

I do it. I live in a major city close to the airport. Flights, hotels and cars are reimbursed.
Get an airline CC and collect points. Eventually you will hold some kind of status and be upgraded all the time. I am.
But yeah sometimes the planes don’t have 1st class.
I fly for 14 shifts a month broken up. So I take a flight every Sunday or Monday going to and fro.
I forget, though - I don't recall if you are IM, OB/GYN, or FM. It's not exactly apples to apples.