Flying to interviews from ALASKA :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAAWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question-

I live in Alaska, and have got an interview on the East Coast next month. Problem is...I applied to like 10 other schools on the east coast too and haven't heard from them yet...but am confident I will get at least a 3-4 interviews.

I simply can't afford to fly to the east coast like 10 separate times...any idea how I should go about this?

Should I send them an "In the area" email? Would they be more lenient to me since I'm coming from so far away? Thanks guys!:oops:

Members don't see this ad.

bills bills bills, automobills.

you are gonna have to put that on the credit card and work it off. you obviously definitely want to email the schools and notify them that you are in the area but, you are gonna have to fly more than once (very likely). try the mid west schools too.

I don't think sending an in-the-area email is unreasonable. I don't think that many applicants are from Alaska. If I were an adcom, I would understand your need to try to condense flights.

Members don't see this ad :)
bills bills bills, automobills.

you are gonna have to put that on the credit card and work it off. you obviously definitely want to email the schools and notify them that you are in the area but, you are gonna have to fly more than once (very likely). try the mid west schools too.

Oh yeah- I am counting on making at least 5 trips. I applied all over too, lot of midwest schools. Would just be nice to not have to fly to new york once. come home. fly back to new york for 900 dollars haha. I just want to try and get at least 2 interviews per trip if possible.

Should I send the in the area emails now? Or wait a few weeks to see if schools invite me. My interview is in like 1.5 months by the way

Also, I would get a credit card with a flyer's rewards program. If you're going to be flying 6500-7000 miles roundtrip a few times, might as well get something out of it.

Also, I would get a credit card with a flyer's rewards program. If you're going to be flying 6500-7000 miles roundtrip a few times, might as well get something out of it.

Oh yeah for sure- I have the Alaska Airlines one :D

I book my tickets using kayak.com so I can find cheap flights, but they are often not from the same airline. Is there a "combined" frequent flier program, since having multiple cards seems like a real pain to manage?

I don't think sending an in-the-area email is unreasonable. I don't think that many applicants are from Alaska. If I were an adcom, I would understand your need to try to condense flights.

This.

I was once seriously looking into attending an Alaskan college (Alaska Pacific). I remember the incredible sticker shock I got at seeing those prices.. wow.

In your case, I don't see how you'd be losing anything by asking. Can't hurt.

If you graduated already, maybe you can spend that year doing something more inland, for the time being. Family?

are you in school or do you work? If not I'd just stay inland for a couple months... somehow.

:thumbup:

are you in school or do you work? If not I'd just stay inland for a couple months... somehow.

:thumbup:

No way I can go to the lower 48 for the year. It's my senior year.

Either way, I'll figure it out I guess:oops:

This could be painful on my wallet but I'm gonna do it...guess I'm getting some loans :(

Can you delay the first interview?.... then contact other schools on your list that are within 120 miles and tell them 1) you are very interested 2) you are coming from Alaska to the region from [date] to [date] for an interview in [city] and you would like the opportunity to interview at that school during the same trip. Say that you know it is a lot to ask but if an interview could be arranged during the time frame you are on the East Coast (or wherever) you'd be very grateful. You may not get an invite at that moment over the phone but you might hear within a week or two.
If it works out, come back to this board and ask for help from the locals in arranging ground transportation ... anywhere between Boston & DC it might be easiest to take buses or trains rather than flying between cities.

You live in ALASKA?!

Man. I'm sorry dude. There's not much else I can say. I'm sorry.

I hope you will get accepted to a school that is in a habitable environment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you delay the first interview?.... then contact other schools on your list that are within 120 miles and tell them 1) you are very interested 2) you are coming from Alaska to the region from [date] to [date] for an interview in [city] and you would like the opportunity to interview at that school during the same trip. Say that you know it is a lot to ask but if an interview could be arranged during the time frame you are on the East Coast (or wherever) you'd be very grateful. You may not get an invite at that moment over the phone but you might hear within a week or two.
If it works out, come back to this board and ask for help from the locals in arranging ground transportation ... anywhere between Boston & DC it might be easiest to take buses or trains rather than flying between cities.

Yeah I called and asked about this today and I can delay it. Thank you for your advice- I'll definitely do all of that ASAP. My main fear was upsetting the adcoms by making this special request

You live in ALASKA?!

Haha it's not bad man. Really cool place with a lot of diversity. I'm in Anchorage and it's much like medium size cities across the U.S. However I was up in Fairbanks a big ago which can get to like -50 in the winter :D

Also- would you go with an Email or a phone call? I feel like an email could just get lost among the 1000's they get..

Also- would you go with an Email or a phone call? I feel like an email could just get lost among the 1000's they get..

Call is good. If you can't get anyone on the phone, leave a message & follow-up with an e-mail. If you can find the name of the Dean of Admissions or Director of Admissions, use the school's website to find that person's email address. Be sure to include your AMCAS #.

And for all you peeps leaving phone messages.... say your name and telephone number, then your message and at the end repeat your phone number. There is nothing worse than listening to a long message a second or third time when the number is given only at the end. /old lady rant off

quite a unique dilemma ALL the way up in Alaska- sorry man +pity+maybe check out WWAMI???

quite a unique dilemma ALL the way up in Alaska- sorry man +pity+maybe check out WWAMI???

I kind of think coming from Alaska is diversity, even though I am white lol. I mean only 30 Alaskan's made it into medical school last year! Maybe being from a state producing very few physicians will help me?

Anywho...WWAMI is great. The really seem to dislike guys like me coming right out of college though. I will 100% get to interview with them since I meet their criteria for instate/GPA/MCAT. Although I met the new class and theres A LOT of people in their 30's and some in their 40's. They only have 1 22 year old kid!!!!

If there is anyone that has a reasonable excuse for such a thing, it is you. As a side note, if you are an alaska native (I didn't read everything) then you are probably eligible for some scholarships to negate a little sticker shock, albeit in the future.

My interview season I flew to Arizona, Cali, and Missouri(+3 hours driving) as well as a 12 hour drive for one. My airport was tiny and expensive as well. Not quite Alaska, but a few flights would be semi doable. The most difficult part is staying up with classes if they are tricky ones.

If there is anyone that has a reasonable excuse for such a thing, it is you. As a side note, if you are an alaska native (I didn't read everything) then you are probably eligible for some scholarships to negate a little sticker shock, albeit in the future.

My interview season I flew to Arizona, Cali, and Missouri(+3 hours driving) as well as a 12 hour drive for one. My airport was tiny and expensive as well. Not quite Alaska, but a few flights would be semi doable. The most difficult part is staying up with classes if they are tricky ones.

Nah, not a native or any URM so no benefits for me lol. I have saved up nearly 10,000 to apply to med school and am just going to go all out. I have a solid app (great EC's, 30+ mcat, 3.98) so I'm just gonna give it my all and make every interview.

I'm aiming to go to like 7-8

You live in ALASKA?!

:rolleyes:

Sometimes I wish people would think before they hit the "submit reply". I know quite a few people who wouldn't leave alaska if their life depended on it.

***think*** before you start insulting someone's home...

There's an Alaska Airlines?

Since 1942 ;)

Nah, not a native or any URM so no benefits for me lol. I have saved up nearly 10,000 to apply to med school and am just going to go all out. I have a solid app (great EC's, 30+ mcat, 3.98) so I'm just gonna give it my all and make every interview.

I'm aiming to go to like 7-8

best of luck to you! :luck::luck::luck: