FM Residency Application Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently doing research of FM residency programs for ERAS. A few programs do not list their application requirements on their websites (or can't be found after thorough search on every link on website) i.e. no PS, Step 1/2 scores minimum requirements, number of LORs (should one be from a FM attending) listed, etc.

For these programs can I just send the max LORs allowed by ERAS (4) + Dean's letter (Total 5) or 3 LORs + Dean's letter (4 Total) one or more being from FM attendings, general PS, Step scores, along with the other elements of an ERAS application.

@NotAProgDirector or anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

At least one should be from FM (more if possible). 5 letters total is getting to be a lot. My vote would be the 3 LORs plus deans letter. Are you sure you can't find the requirements on either FREIDA or their website?

If you're really interested in a program that has unlisted requirements, you could shoot off an email now, express your interest in this specific program and ask if they have a preference.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I'm using FREIDA also but it's not as up-to-date as the AMA advertises. For example, some of the links on FRIEDA to program websites get a 404 error. I then have to try to find the program's site using google.

Members don't see this ad :)
If programs don't specify, you can send four LOR's. The MSPE is something different and every program will want it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I'm using FREIDA also but it's not as up-to-date as the AMA advertises. For example, some of the links on FRIEDA to program websites get a 404 error. I then have to try to find the program's site using google.
Annually around June program coordinators/directors are meant to re-register/submit for the AMA and ERAS (info used for Freida). There is a quick process where you carry forward the application from previous years, so while it is supposed to be up-to-date because it is getting the info "verified" every year, it's not always the case. That said, even if things like the website, PC name, or other things aren't up-to-date, it doesn't mean that other aspects of the information isn't. They may have just forgotten that the website changed or something.

Also, programs are not required to publish score cutoffs, so many don't and even if they do, there's nothing stopping them from raising or lowering it during the application season. Programs can easily sort and filter out applications by whatever metrics they want (literally almost anything) in ERAS.

I'm not aware of any programs that didn't indicate a minimum number of LORs, but virtually all required 3, at least one from FM. I do recall a couple that would interview if you only had 2, but all required 3 by the time of ranking. I agree that you should be fine with 3-4.

Also, programs are not required to publish score cutoffs, so many don't and even if they do, there's nothing stopping them from raising or lowering it during the application season. Programs can easily sort and filter out applications by whatever metrics they want (literally almost anything) in ERAS.

That's unfortunate. If the program's website states specifically that they do not have cutoffs on the Step scores and an applicant pays the fees to apply to the program based on this info, and the program arbitrarily raises the cutoff to 220 midstream, then the applicant has lost the cost of the application and their application will be tossed out before it is even read. That's not fraud?

That's unfortunate. If the program's website states specifically that they do not have cutoffs on the Step scores and an applicant pays the fees to apply to the program based on this info, and the program arbitrarily raises the cutoff to 220 midstream, then the applicant has lost the cost of the application and their application will be tossed out before it is even read. That's not fraud?
I mean, I agree its frustrating. From the perspective of the program, they often can only review a certain number of applications, so they will have to adjust the filters based on their own criteria to get closer to that number each year. The issue is that this changes every year. If in one year they get 100 applications for 10 spots, they may lower the cutoff even below passing, but if the next year they get 300, they may increase it to 220. Extremely frustrating as an applicant, but almost a necessity for the program with the way applicants have increased their application numbers.

Reactions: 2 users
I have the following LORs and my beliefs about their "strengths" for my FM ERAS:
  1. Medschool Anesthesiology Faculty-Very Very Strong
  2. Medschool Pediatric Faculty-Very Strong
  3. Medschool IM Faculty-Strong
  4. Medschool Pediatric Neurosurgery Faculty-Strong
  5. Medschool Pediatric ICU Faculty-Strong
  6. Private FM Practitioner-Semi Strong
  7. Private FM Practitioner-Semi Strong
My research indicates programs want at least one LOR from a FM attending, but both of mine are private FM doctors instead of faculty. Does this make their letters less significant?

Would using both private FM LORs and have my third be another specialty be better?

Would using a LOR from a different specialty by better e.g. 1 private FM, 1 Pediatric, 1 IM

Thank you!!

I have the following LORs and my beliefs about their "strengths" for my FM ERAS:
My research indicates programs want at least one LOR from a FM attending, but both of mine are private FM doctors instead of faculty. Does this make their letters less significant?

Would using both private FM LORs and have my third be another specialty be better?

Would using a LOR from a different specialty by better e.g. 1 private FM, 1 Pediatric, 1 IM

Thank you!!
It is completely fine if your FM letter is not from a residency faculty member - just needs to be an FM doc who knows you well enough to comment on your clinical skills and character.

You need to have at least one FM letter. I think I came across a handful of programs that required 2 when I was applying a few years ago. After that, I would focus on having the strongest letters regardless of specialty.

Thank you!!
I would do 1, 2, 3, & either 6 or 7 based on whichever you think is stronger or would be better written. The Peds subspecialty may seem like your going for Peds as well, whereas 1 peds and 1 IM is a good match with FM.

Also, just to clarify, I'm assuming the "FM practitioner" is a family medicine physician and not F-NP or something. The wording is a bit odd. Family Practice is one thing, but FM Practitioner is not terminology that anyone really uses. If it is not an attending physician, then I would try to get one.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks!

Yes, both 6 and 7 are attending physicians with their own private practices.

I received an updated transcript honoring my 3rd FM 4th year rotation. This would be my 3rd honors.

I wanted to have the grade in before ERAS submission on Sept 28, but alas it was not put in before that date. The uploaded transcript in ERAS reflects only two honors in two other FM rotations and honors in another rotation that is required.

Would it be beneficial to have a new transcript uploaded into ERAS and then notify the FM programs I applied to of the 3rd honors at this point?

P.S. I would like to let them know that I do well clinically as my academics are average, and was wondering if the 3rd honors will help at all or not.

I received an updated transcript honoring my 3rd FM 4th year rotation. This would be my 3rd honors.

I wanted to have the grade in before ERAS submission on Sept 28, but alas it was not put in before that date. The uploaded transcript in ERAS reflects only two honors in two other FM rotations and honors in another rotation that is required.

Would it be beneficial to have a new transcript uploaded into ERAS and then notify the FM programs I applied to of the 3rd honors at this point?

P.S. I would like to let them know that I do well clinically as my academics are average, and was wondering if the 3rd honors will help at all or not.
It's not gonna make much difference as long as you pass.

Reactions: 1 user