FM Residency Clinic Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seap3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering what the clinic load is like for other FM residencies. As a 3rd year, we have 24 slots per day, 20 minute appointment. Is this pretty typical?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes as a general answer.

Typically we use to see 12 in a half day (+/- 2) based on the type of visit I.e. physicals would be longer visits vs. just a brief visit.

In the real world, you're "expected" to see 20-30 a day.. so a third year, pretty normal to be near there.

Reactions: 1 user
In my program as 3rd year we did 4 half days per week. Volume in a 1/2 day typically ranged from 6-11 visits as a 3rd year. I personally never saw more than 17 in a full day, though that's only partially because having a full day of clinic was rare and there weren't a lot of times I had things scheduled that way, usually our half days were spread out over the course of a week, plenty of times though we were seeing 9-11 visits in a half day and I probably would have had max days around 20 visits if I'd had more clinic shifts scheduled morning and afternoon back to back. One of our clinic sites was setup as 20 minute visits with 40 minutes for physicals or procedures, the other clinic site was 15 and 30 minutes respectively (though maxed at 11 scheduled visits in a 1/2 day). The down side was our EMR stunk and was cumbersome, about 1/3 of our patients required interpreters, and we served complex patients with the majority of our population consisting of the community's uninsured, refugees, and homeless (lots of coordination required, grabbing social workers during visits, talking to the Pharmacist about which Pharmacy to use to get their specific meds cheapest or what medication program to enroll them in, etc). We had no problem reaching the 1650 minimum clinic encounter national requirement with that volume, I think I graduated around 2000 visits give or take 100.

My peers would even complain about that volume being too much given the complexity of our patients, though I usually defended it as the key is you need to get the preparation to handle the volume out in practice. Even heading into my current practice where everyone sees around 16-22 per day, to be prepared I felt I needed to be seeing that number by the time I left residency. There is a better EMR here, heck of a lot less of the socioeconomic issues, and I've never once had to use an interpreter in 3 months in practice. They started me out maxed around 12 per day while I learned the workflow but within a month or two we increased that to match up to everyone else at 16-22. The 20/40 minute clinic schedule is what we use here.

However I know some places where my former co-residents landed out in practice expected them to start out seeing around 18-20 right away and the expectation is to be capable to work that up to consistently seeing 30+, either operating more on a 15 minute schedule all day long or double-booking visits anywhere you feel you can. If going into an environment like that I would have felt I needed to be seeing 24-30 heading out of residency or I don't know how someone would be prepared to make that sort of adjustment.