FM residency hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6ft3dr2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get an idea of what the FM residency is like (since I'm interested in this field). I know each program is different but I just wanted to get a sense of what to expect. Right now I'm involved in a 2 week elective that takes 12 hours of my day. I love seeing the patients (from 8-5) but I HATE WRITING NOTES (from 5-8pm). Maybe this is how its going to be though.

Thanks

1st yr:
Hours?
Rotations?
Responsibilities?
On-Call?
Vacation?
Pros?
Cons?

2nd yr:
Hours?
Rotations?
Responsibilities?
On-Call?
Vacation?
Pros?
Cons?

3rd yr:
Hours?
Rotations?
Responsibilities?
On-Call?
Vacation?
Pros?
Cons?

Members don't see this ad.

If you hate writing notes you should not be in medicine. It's all about documenting. you can dictate, you can have pre-printed forms, but you will write notes every day of your working life.

You do get faster at it, and it becomes easier.

nowhere near as bad as EMR, that is a complete and total nightmare :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

you don't have to write notes, if you are in certain jobs, such as Urgent Care. Then again, its EMR or short yes or no answer format questions. Its really not that bad, but if you are a hospitalist then definitely you will be writing notes for the rest of your life. That is a horrid thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
i can live with writing notes...

that wasn't the point of the question...i just want to get an idea of what to expect

1st Year was the most work. So far during my second year I've been working as many hours, but doing less work. That is, I oversee R-1's who do the work I used to do. Hours are variable, but anywhere from 60 to the full 80 and pretty much never over that.

The on-call thing is a big issue. I would caution against any program that hasn't instituted a night-float system. With night float, only the weekends need to be covered, so (in my case) I generally am on call every other weekend. Then, for 2 months out of the year, I'm on from 6pm 'till 6am. It's waay more humane.