FM residency resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short I spent time after graduation in the Army and I am going back into residency for FM. I was wondering what books you would recommend me reading before residency so I can relearn some of the information I had forgotten since medical school.

Also what are the best apps to have on my phone for while I'm in residency to use as a resource.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure what books there are that are family medicine specific that you need to have. When I was a resident, the most helpful and common books most people used were:

Family Medicine Exam and Board Review by Mark Graber
Pharmacology by Katzung and Trevor
Step Up to Medicine
Any EKG review book
USMLE word for Step 3

Apps that I use the most are:

Medscape
Epocrates
ABFM Exam Review (great for prepping for FM boards)
Medscape
Up to date

I would also make sure you get the AAFP magazine either via your residency or on your own. Also feel free to use the AAFP board review questions as a way to integrate material and study for the boards. Also check out previous exams on the ABFM website to prep for in service exams.

Society of Teachers in Family Medicine (STFM) has an awesome longitudinal curriculum that is designed to follow from PGY1 to completion. It is comprehensive and should be available to you as a resource if your program is ACGME-accredited. See if you can get early access to the modules to refresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk