FMG for Chief

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Of course. We have had 2. And we don't have many FMG's.

When it comes to choosing chief resident, I don't think it matters that much whether you are an fmg/img/amg/etc. I would like to think that 3 years of residency is more than ample time to get to know people and to judge them from more than their backgrounds. Also, you have to realize that people can and do refuse offers to be chief resident. It's not everyone's cup of tea or dream or disdain.

Are you talking about in IM where not everyone becomes a "chief"?

In many other fields everyone who's in their final year of residency is considered a "chief." Some places have an "administrative" chief though (who handles paperwork, scheduling, conflicts, etc.).

I was wondering... has anyone heard of an FMG becoming chief resident? In any program? Does that ever happen?
Of course it does. There are many programs in which all or nearly all the residents are FMGs. In such a case, the chief will be an FMG as well.

I was wondering... has anyone heard of an FMG becoming chief resident? In any program? Does that ever happen?

Of course. I've met plenty of FMG's who became chief resident. I had a pediatric chief resident who studied in the Middle East. One of my OB/Gyn chief residents studied at St. George's University in Grenada, the other one studied in Egypt. Of course, this happens more at programs that are IMG-heavy.

Thats what I meant. Didn't even know there were some cases when everyone is called chief...

Ah, you'll see this once you hit your MS-III year. Then the chiefs will make themselves known to you. ;)

Ah, you'll see this once you hit your MS-III year. Then the chiefs will make themselves known to you. ;)
Indeed. In surgical specialties, chiefs aren't specifically chosen for their benevolence, diplomacy, teaching prowess, and general good nature - they are forged by the fire of a thousand suns. Sometimes it shows. :p

(No disrespect to the fine current, future, and past surgical chiefs here of course!)