J1 Or H1b for FMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Donmarza

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Quick background, Im a UK FMG looking to apply for anesthesiology and surgery for this coming year. I just have a question regarding visas. As of this year I am only eligible for a J1 visa as I havent done step 3 yet. Due to the requirement to leave the country after residency would it make more sense to wait a year and apply next year for an H1b or are there ways around this issue?

Realistically if I moved out of the UK I wouldnt want to return to the UK for work.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Quick background, Im a UK FMG looking to apply for anesthesiology and surgery for this coming year. I just have a question regarding visas. As of this year I am only eligible for a J1 visa as I havent done step 3 yet. Due to the requirement to leave the country after residency would it make more sense to wait a year and apply next year for an H1b or are there ways around this issue?

Realistically if I moved out of the UK I wouldnt want to return to the UK for work.
With a j1 , you can get a waiver by working 3 years in an underserved area. This allows you to stay in the US

Reactions: 1 user
With a j1 , you can get a waiver by working 3 years in an underserved area. This allows you to stay in the US

Are those waivers easy to come by? I was planning on applying around michigan and I was happy to continue working in detroit which I think counts as an underserved area

Are those waivers easy to come by? I was planning on applying around michigan and I was happy to continue working in detroit which I think counts as an underserved area
I did this; getting a waiver can be tricky; it really depends on your timing. What I suggest is that during your PGY2 year/ early PGY3 year lock down a job that will sponsor a waiver. It is a ton of paper work and legal fees [usually your employer covers]. Just remember a few things: 1) once you graduate you will get your medical license a month or two after. Your H1B [the visa you get while under a waiver] cant be processed until your legal aid has your medical license. Once that is sent out it is usually a month or two until you get your visa and can legally work...