Other OT-Related Information Follow dreams or delay gratification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Follow dreams or delay gratification?

• New York University Steinhardt, woot!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas Woman's University, yeah!

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • SUNY Downstate, yaysssss!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OT1224

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*NOTE: I just got accepted to SUNY Downstate Medical Center. So I want to decide between SUNY and TWU. Ignore my comment about NYU. Too much $$)

Hey guys,

I have asked this question to my friends but I want to ask you guys for insights.

I am born in NYC and moved to a teeny town in Texas during middle school. Stuff happened when I was in my new town. Really bad teenage stuffs that I wish none of you guys will ever go through. I'm still suffering from my actions today but I have learn my lessons and use my past as a motivating factor. Anywhoo, I thought about going back to NYC for my undergraduate. Nyc is my home. It is my norm. I didn't know it was famous until I left (lol). I'm sorry if I sound obsessive about it, but that place truly means a lot to me. I would not be anywhere else. I'm not there for the celebrities or the famous places. I want to move back because it was the place I grew up, flourished, and most of my relatives live there.

Well, I went to a public university in Texas and manage to get my bachelor's degree with little to none loan. I know that decision was healthful for me financially, but I still feel out of place.

Currently, I am accepted to Texas Woman's university in Houston and SUNY Downstate. This is a rough estimates of how much tuition+fees+rent will cost. I used the tuition per credit chat on their websites. I overestimated the numbers a bit for safety.

Texas resident.

TWU: ~$25 tuition + 20k housing = $45k
SUNY: ~$76 + 10k housing (family friend $200/month) = $86k
NYU: not considering anymore for good reasons. Lol.

Currently, I'm thinking about going to TWU so I won't drown in debt. I'm getting the same OT degree, so why not? I have doubt I will experience the same excitement, but at least I will be more financially stable. The more I think about it, the more I think I SHOULD delay gratification once again.

My dream is to live in NYC and work there, but Twu is financially beneficial for my parents who don't have college degree. If I choose twu, I can afford buying the tickets to fly to NYC 10x a year (not planning to do this, just comparing) and still pay less overall. I also don't think nyu/SUNY will give OT students too much unconditional scholarship/grants even if I get admitted. (I only got $2000 from TWU).

SUNY Downstate would provide me with great networking opportunities and I probably have an easier time finding a job in New York versus if I was in Texas. But...if I take out loans, the reality will hit me sooner or later.

Some of my friends said, "Yeah, go to NYU/SUNY Downstate and go after your dreams!"

Others said, "If you're going for the same degree, I would choose the cheapest university. You can always apply for jobs in NYC if you want to go back that badly."

Thank you for reading. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get your degree at TWU and move to NYC once you've graduated. There are plenty of jobs here even if they're not your top choice.

Cost of living in NYC will be more than 10k (food, books, transportation etc)

Those 2 1/2 years at NYU won't really benefit you much since you'll be studying your life away meaning you won't be able to enjoy the city.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of state tuition is still a bit pricey... but overall not even half of NYU.

I'd say that you honestly can't go wrong with either option if it's Downstate vs. TWU in terms of cost. TWU will be cheaper, but Downstate is just as cheap.

Also, Downstate is pretty out of the way and in an area that's not the safest... maybe you should factor that into your decision as well because it will ultimately effect your quality of life.

Congrats though!! Both are great choices financially and there's no clear choice here for me... but, both seem great.

Is SUNY downstate really that expensive? Do you have in-state tuition status?

I am Texas resident. I plan to ask SUNY about residency requirement, such as, if I can be considered as an in-state resident after I stay there for my first year. Then my total tuition will be around $62k.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe also consider the length of the programs (and income you would earn instead of attending a more lengthy program). Is one shorter than the other?

Maybe also consider the length of the programs (and income you would earn instead of attending a more lengthy program). Is one shorter than the other?

My parents are willing to help me pay for a large fraction of it. SUNY starts this June while TWU starts in Fall. So, SUNY is 1 extra semester. They both end at the same time.

I would like to take this summer off to learn different skills (music, language, OT stuffs, etc) and travel a bit.

Just came in a few days ago. I got my financial aid package from SUNY Downstate andddddddd.... *drum rolls* 20k in unsubsidized loans for 2016-2017 academic year. I like to mention that I am outofstate, so my cost of living, tuition, fees, transportation total will cost me ~$85k. (Guesstimating a bit. Better to overestimate than underestimate).

://

Is there a deferral option so you can move to NY and get in state tuition the next year? I know it's unlikely, but you might as well ask if you can.

Anyway, if you're leaning towards TWU, ask about how likely it is you can do your Level II Fieldworks in NYC. If you can, you're really only doing like a year and a half in Texas, which makes staying in Texas more bearable. ;) If you can't, though, some cities are pretty saturated and they're tough to crack... At one of my interviews, for example, I heard getting into Boston can be difficult. So that's also something to look into.

Other than that... Depending on the setting you're interested in, there might be loan forgiveness opportunities. In schools, I've read OTs are considered "special Ed. Teachers", and are eligible for some loan forgiveness (something like 20k for 5 years). And hopefully public service loan forgiveness will still be around then, as long as we advocate for it.

I hope this gives you something to think about! Best of luck in deciding!