Follow-up s/p laser for retinal tear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlue02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

My friend's 55yo mother just had a retinal tear treated with laser and the doctor sent her home with no information or f/u plan. She is now freaking out about what she can or can't do, what constitutes an emergency, whether the floaters she is seeing after the laser are normal. I am afraid to offer her info because I don't want to tell her something that may be wrong. Can anyone (who is sure of this...not a med student) provide me with some good info for her?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

GoBlue02 said:
Hey,

My friend's 55yo mother just had a retinal tear treated with laser and the doctor sent her home with no information or f/u plan. She is now freaking out about what she can or can't do, what constitutes an emergency, whether the floaters she is seeing after the laser are normal. I am afraid to offer her info because I don't want to tell her something that may be wrong. Can anyone (who is sure of this...not a med student) provide me with some good info for her?

Thanks in advance!

She should call her ophthalmologist if she has questions. But you bring up an interesting controversy regarding the treatment of retinal tears. I always refer back to table 2 from an article in Ophthalmology vol 107, 1 Jan 2000, pg. 12-16 titled "Evidence based analysis of prophylactic treatment of asymptomatic retinal breaks and lattice dengeration."

There was a follow-up letter to the editor on pg 217-218 in Feb 2002.