1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Follow-up s/p laser for retinal tear?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by GoBlue02, Nov 13, 2005.

1. GoBlue02

GoBlue02 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey,

My friend's 55yo mother just had a retinal tear treated with laser and the doctor sent her home with no information or f/u plan. She is now freaking out about what she can or can't do, what constitutes an emergency, whether the floaters she is seeing after the laser are normal. I am afraid to offer her info because I don't want to tell her something that may be wrong. Can anyone (who is sure of this...not a med student) provide me with some good info for her?

Thanks in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PDT4CNV

PDT4CNV Physician/Surgeon
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    She should call her ophthalmologist if she has questions. But you bring up an interesting controversy regarding the treatment of retinal tears. I always refer back to table 2 from an article in Ophthalmology vol 107, 1 Jan 2000, pg. 12-16 titled "Evidence based analysis of prophylactic treatment of asymptomatic retinal breaks and lattice dengeration."

There was a follow-up letter to the editor on pg 217-218 in Feb 2002.