Following up after rejection (pre-interview)

Started by wlt217
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wlt217

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Under what circumstances, if any, do people generally inquire about rejections?

In my case, I'm particularly worried about rejections (three already) due to my cGPA of ~3.3 when I've maintained a 3.9+ over the past 5 years (170+ credits, including all science prerequisites). Is it worth sending an email to ask specifically about whether my GPA was a factor?
 
Under what circumstances, if any, do people generally inquire about rejections?

In my case, I'm particularly worried about rejections (three already) due to my cGPA of ~3.3 when I've maintained a 3.9+ over the past 5 years (170+ credits, including all science prerequisites). Is it worth sending an email to ask specifically about whether my GPA was a factor?
Those who live in states with a single school can apparently get some type of meaningful feedback at the end of the cycle. Consider asking then, if you don't get in.
 
Those who live in states with a single school can apparently get some type of meaningful feedback at the end of the cycle. Consider asking then, if you don't get in.

Sounds pretty bleak. I guess that's just the reality of being one individual among nearly 50,000 applicants each year.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Call the Admissions deans.

What schools have you been applying to?

How many credits have you taken overt the past five years? Is the 170+ your total # of credits?

MCAT score?



Under what circumstances, if any, do people generally inquire about rejections?

In my case, I'm particularly worried about rejections (three already) due to my cGPA of ~3.3 when I've maintained a 3.9+ over the past 5 years (170+ credits, including all science prerequisites). Is it worth sending an email to ask specifically about whether my GPA was a factor?
 
Call the Admissions deans.

What schools have you been applying to?

How many credits have you taken overt the past five years? Is the 170+ your total # of credits?

MCAT score?

~270 credits total, ~170 with a 3.9+ over the past 5 years. MCAT 517 (third attempt, 35 on the old scale).
Weak community service, decent research, 1 publication (not first author)

Out of 3 rejections so far, I'm really only (slightly) concerned about Indiana University. Calling Admissions deans sounds somewhat presumptuous, but if it seems reasonable to you, I'm inclined to listen.

My school list is currently top-heavy and I'm thinking about adding more appropriate options. Can probably only afford a few more though.

(On an aside, Goro, you gave me similar advice on a related topic over two years ago in a WAMC post. I appreciate the feedback and consistency.)

What did you start with if you only have ~3.3 and have had 170+ credits of 3.9? That's tough. Your sGPA must be really high. How about your MCAT?

Let's see... with 270 total credits, it looks like I must have had around a 2.2-2.3 at that point in time.
 
270 total credits? Wow! Where did you apply? Did you apply using the 3.9 or the real
GPA of ~3.3? I'm not sure now is the time to call schools. But you could try I suppose and call and ask to set up a phone type interview to discuss your rejection. But I have no idea if you'll have any success. Good luck!

Are you from Indiana?
 
It's much better to talk to a Dean than an Admin Ass't.

Start adding in the community service.

No IAs or red flags????

Targeting schools realistically? For example, I assume that you're an IN resident, if you're targeting IU???



~270 credits total, ~170 with a 3.9+ over the past 5 years. MCAT 517 (third attempt, 35 on the old scale).
Weak community service, decent research, 1 publication (not first author)

Out of 3 rejections so far, I'm really only (slightly) concerned about Indiana University. Calling Admissions deans sounds somewhat presumptuous, but if it seems reasonable to you, I'm inclined to listen.

My school list is currently top-heavy and I'm thinking about adding more appropriate options. Can probably only afford a few more though.

(On an aside, Goro, you gave me similar advice on a related topic over two years ago in a WAMC post. I appreciate the feedback and consistency.)



Let's see... with 270 total credits, it looks like I must have had around a 2.2-2.3 at that point in time.
 
It's much better to talk to a Dean than an Admin Ass't.

Start adding in the community service.

No IAs or red flags????

Targeting schools realistically? For example, I assume that you're an IN resident, if you're targeting IU???

I've been volunteering at a homeless shelter (awesome experience so far, I'd highly recommend it for anyone with good listening skills and a desire to meet some very interesting people).

As for IAs, the only one is academic probation for *gasp* low GPA. Potential red flags: 3 MCAT's (24, 30, 517), abysmal GPA due to history of depression (addressed extensively in my personal statement).

I'm a Michigan resident (although I lived in Indiana for 8 years), so I have no reason to be particularly surprised at rejection from IUSM. Still, they interview >10% of OOS applicants and my MCAT is near their 90th percentile for acceptances.

will they show you the admission file if you ask nicely?

I'm not sure I follow your meaning.
 
I've been volunteering at a homeless shelter (awesome experience so far, I'd highly recommend it for anyone with good listening skills and a desire to meet some very interesting people).

As for IAs, the only one is academic probation for *gasp* low GPA. Potential red flags: 3 MCAT's (24, 30, 517), abysmal GPA due to history of depression (addressed extensively in my personal statement).

I'm a Michigan resident (although I lived in Indiana for 8 years), so I have no reason to be particularly surprised at rejection from IUSM. Still, they interview >10% of OOS applicants and my MCAT is near their 90th percentile for acceptances.



I'm not sure I follow your meaning.

like will they tell you why they rejected you/ what was wrong with your application.
 
like will they tell you why they rejected you/ what was wrong with your application.

I wish! My understanding is that most schools receive thousands of applications, reject the vast majority of them, and simply don't have time to respond to each person.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish! My understanding is that most schools receive thousands of applications, reject the vast majority of them, and simply don't have time to respond to each person.

Yeah, I was just hoping someone in adcom would tell me "oh we rejected you because your personal statement was bad or because your lor writers wrote smack about you" so I wouldn't make the same mistake the next cycle if it came to that.