Following up on job application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ander120

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

So I have a situation and I'm not sure how to go about it. I just passed my boards in July and have been searching for a full time job. I want to do inpatient, either acute or rehab, but there isn't a ton of full time opportunities. I applied to one position two weeks ago at a larger hospital system that has several locations but have not heard back. The company doesn't list any type of email address for HR, only phone numbers for each hospital location.

My question is, is it appropriate to "follow up" on my job application? I want them to know I'm extremely interested and for them to atleast give me a chance, however I do not want to be annoying. I know two weeks isn't THATTTT long to wait but I feel like I'll regret not asking if see the job get taken down.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know anyone that already works within the system that would be able to figure out who the hiring manager is?
The recruiter picks the applications that meet the hiring manager's preferences and the hiring manager takes the next steps. If you haven't heard anything, it is probably because your application never went anywhere. That is just how these big companies work.
You need to figure out how to reach the hiring manager and get their attention. Then they will request your application from the recruiter if necessary.
You may need to network your way to that information. You should set up a Linkedin profile and try to sleuth out who the director of rehab is and find a way to contact them, even if you call the hospital and ask for them by name. Second best is to figure out who the recruiter is, but sometimes they are remote in a different city or state. Third best, figure out a PT that works in that department and try to connect with them. It really is all about who you know at this stage of the game. Also, ask your school professors if they know anyone in that hospital system, they might have connections.
Good luck!

Thanks for the reply and tips!! I actually found the recruiter a few days ago and sent her a message introducing myself and expressing my interest but didn't hear back. Your comment got me searching and I found the director of rehab for the hospital on linked in!

Now what I'm unsure of is what would be best to say. I don't want to come off annoying but I want them to atleast look at my application! Any suggestions on how to approach the director?

Members don't see this ad :)
Send a thank you letter to the HR department or whoever interviewed you, tell them that you are very interested and look forward to hearing from them.

Since you have never met, I would call to introduce myself as a new graduate interested in working in their hospital. Ask if you can visit and observe one of their PTs in action for a few hours. Ask if they have filled their open positions. Ask if there are any upcoming openings. Maybe you will have better luck getting in as a part-time or PRN employee. Your goal is to have them recognize your name and to hopefully meet them face to face. Ask them what school they went to. Ask what school they normally recruit from.
Show interest in their patient census. Ask what their most common diagnosis are. Ask how long their average employee has worked for them.
Do your research and speak intelligently about their company culture. Ask them what their "pain points" are as management.

Do not ask about salary or benefits.

And yes, always send a thank you letter/email expressing your continued interest.

Send a thank you letter to the HR department or whoever interviewed you, tell them that you are very interested and look forward to hearing from them.

I haven't heard back since applying so I haven't had an interview. I just wanted to make sure someone actually looks at my application (other than the receuiter which seems to be how large hospitals do it)

Since you have never met, I would call to introduce myself as a new graduate interested in working in their hospital. Ask if you can visit and observe one of their PTs in action for a few hours. Ask if they have filled their open positions. Ask if there are any upcoming openings. Maybe you will have better luck getting in as a part-time or PRN employee. Your goal is to have them recognize your name and to hopefully meet them face to face. Ask them what school they went to. Ask what school they normally recruit from.
Show interest in their patient census. Ask what their most common diagnosis are. Ask how long their average employee has worked for them.
Do your research and speak intelligently about their company culture. Ask them what their "pain points" are as management.

Do not ask about salary or benefits.

And yes, always send a thank you letter/email expressing your continued interest.

Thank you for the suggestions!! My only concern is I'm having trouble finding a contact number. One of my classmates said she had messaged someone similar on linked in. What are your thoughts on using linked in to communicate?

I don't know if you can send a message in Linkedin if you are not already connected, but I believe that if you use the smart phone app instead of a PC it will let you. If you use Linkedin, you might not get a timely response since most people don't check it every day. It might be easier to find an email address. Don't be scared to call the hospital switchboard and ask for their phone extension.