Food animals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krodriguez

Tufts class of 2012!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am just finishing up "Slaughterhouse" by Gail Eisnitz and I'm curious about the current state of the food animal industry since it is a topic with which I have no experience. This book was written with research from the late 80's and early 90's so I'm assuming a lot has changed since then. My questions, for those of you who have worked in slaughterhouses, are do you think the meat is inspected properly and are the veternarians you worked with actually able to prevent inhumane treatment of the animals? In the book it seems like the inspectors and vets were left pretty powerless when put up against the meat companies and the USDA not wanting to admit there was a problem. I am just curious to hear from people who have worked there since the book by itself paints a pretty gruesome portrait.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Temple Grandin, an author mentioned on the thread on extracurricular reading, works in this very area - humane slaughtering, etc. And while I don't know any specific works to recommend, you might search and see what is out there from her work.