Food

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDSlacker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't find this posted anywhere in the forum but does anyone know if there have been any studies done on food that actually scientifically makes your brain work better to eat on test day. I know everyone says eat a good breakfast but anything specific. I'm assuming a high protein and complex carbs breakfast would be good and then some more low fat, high protein, simple and complex carbs for snacks during the exam would probably be a good idea but just wanted to see what everyone else's input on this was.

Members don't see this ad.

I stuck to gluten free (cereal & PB&J) that day, easier to deal with, IMO.

My mansack also had: Gatorade, water, 2 Red Bull (sugar-free, Phloston suggestion), and Kind snack bars. Tylenol, like they were tic-tacs, after 4th and 5th blocks.

Last edited:
lol and people rag on my threads

you should know by now that unless you have some kind of disease, diet doesn't really matter

I'm going to have pasta the night before to prep for the marathon. Day of, I'm planning to take Water, Gatorade, Red bull for that final stretch, KitKat for the break, and PB&J for a quick meal.

Nothing necessarily to optimize test taking, but rather to just keep me calm, satisfied and in the zone.

Make that 2 Red Bulls... always good to be prepared.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
lol and people rag on my threads

you should know by now that unless you have some kind of disease, diet doesn't really matter

Yea I guess you're right. So since I don't have diabetes, cholesterol, or high triglycerides I should probably just eat a big mac, large fries, large coke, and 2 apple pies.

You should know by now that that mentality is exactly what has made America obese and the fact that a future doctor is saying that "diet doesn't matter unless you have some kind of disease" just shows where we are headed. :scared:

I would eat something in the morning that you know will not make you starving later on. For me, this was eggs, sausage, and a piece of toast. Also had some OJ and one cup of coffee (just to prevent the inevitable caffeine withdrawal headache).

During the test I ended up eating two Clif bars, one PB crackers packet, and some nuts. I drank some Gatorade and a 12 oz Coke in the afternoon when I was starting to get wiped. I wasn't that hungry though due to excitement of it all.

Yea I guess you're right. So since I don't have diabetes, cholesterol, or high triglycerides I should probably just eat a big mac, large fries, large coke, and 2 apple pies.

You should know by now that that mentality is exactly what has made America obese and the fact that a future doctor is saying that "diet doesn't matter unless you have some kind of disease" just shows where we are headed. :scared:

You completely misunderstand me. I'm talking about gluten enteropathy or MCAD issues, not total calorie count.

I knew I should have had In N Out send me those Animal Style Fries on test day!

I stuck with my favorite cereal with kefir for breakfast. My bag had two PB+J sandwiches, some jerky, 2 Clif Bars and water.

Haven't taken the test yet, but when I have to study for hours I just go for foods high in protein eggs, meat, fish ... and coffee, lots of it.
Cook them plain, without salt or anything else.

I love sweets, but don't eat them while studying, they make me feel dizzy/sleepy.

You completely misunderstand me. I'm talking about gluten enteropathy or MCAD issues, not total calorie count.

I get what you're saying. I wasn't suggesting that its for everyone.

I have a first degree relative with celiac (bad enough to get 'quarantined' in an airport once). I had my own reasons to be cautious, I just haven't gotten tested yet.

Carry on.

I knew I should have had In N Out send me those Animal Style Fries on test day!

I stuck with my favorite cereal with kefir for breakfast. My bag had two PB+J sandwiches, some jerky, 2 Clif Bars and water.

Dude your signature, I don't even know what to think :laugh: