Fool the civlians!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about applying for civilian residencies. I've heard that b/c of ERAS, they know we're in the military and applying for military positions too. This is supposedly bad b/c that means we probably will go into the military residencies instead of their program, so they won't rank us that high. And even if we don't get into military slots, they'll wonder why the military didn't want us and be even less liable to rank us.

However, what if you're applying through the CAS via the sfmatch for one of the early match specialites? Do these programs know you're in the military? If they don't, can you just forget to mention that so they won't hold it against you? Or do they have other methods of knowing (like would your dean's letter mention away rotations at military hospitals or something)?
 
Originally posted by Sledge2005
I have a question about applying for civilian residencies. I've heard that b/c of ERAS, they know we're in the military and applying for military positions too. This is supposedly bad b/c that means we probably will go into the military residencies instead of their program, so they won't rank us that high. And even if we don't get into military slots, they'll wonder why the military didn't want us and be even less liable to rank us.

However, what if you're applying through the CAS via the sfmatch for one of the early match specialites? Do these programs know you're in the military? If they don't, can you just forget to mention that so they won't hold it against you? Or do they have other methods of knowing (like would your dean's letter mention away rotations at military hospitals or something)?

Well, I can tell you that it didn't negatively affect my interviews. I was ten for ten and these were at some of the best childrens hospitals in the country (sorry if that sounds snooty). Your results will come back in December for the military match. Your interviews will be after that. I spoke to several programs about scheduling and told them about waiting for the results of the military match -- none of them cared.

Ed
 
Originally posted by edmadison
Well, I can tell you that it didn't negatively affect my interviews. I was ten for ten and these were at some of the best childrens hospitals in the country (sorry if that sounds snooty). Your results will come back in December for the military match. Your interviews will be after that. I spoke to several programs about scheduling and told them about waiting for the results of the military match -- none of them cared.

Ed

i had the same experience. many programs i interviewed at kept in close contact with me and wanted to know how the military match turned out. things may be a little different our peds world, but i don't think being military will hurt your application. i also scheduled several interviews after the military match date to save both their and my time if i matched.