Using the GI Bill for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

upontherocks

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am separating from the military after fulfilling my HPSP obligation as a GMO. I've heard that I can use the GI Bill for residency, which I want to do. I reached out to my PC who's not sure what to do with my certificate of eligibility. Anyone know how this works/what my program needs to do?
 
If your program is affiliated with a university, you should reach out to the Office of Enrollment or Admissions. They usually have a designated official that handles scholarships and veterans benefits. They'll want to see the COE as well as a signed letter of good standing from your program director stating your expected "clock hours" (AKA work hours). This letter needs to be resubmitted prior to each semester that you seek to utilize benefits.

Also FYI, if you are using chapter 30, keep in mind that when those 36 months have been exhausted, you can apply for an additional 12 months of chapter 33. In case you have a 4th year of residency or a year of fellowship. Could come in handy.
 
You can also reach out the hospital GME office (that's who I coordinated with for my residency). There may be a bit of a process as your program will likely need to be added to the state's list of approved programs so good to start early. There is no tuition reimbursement since no tuition but depending on where you live the BAH can be substantial. You can also apply for the STEM scholarship as well which will add up to 30k of BAH.