foot and ankle textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dddunit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in practice what textbooks do you like to have and have found helpful for review and practice? I have mcglamry, chang, myerson, Easley. Wanting to see if there are additional helpful and good texts I can get. What do you guys think of the upcoming new Mcglamry text?

Members don't see this ad.

Systemic Disease Manifestations in the Foot, Ankle, and Lower Extremity - Positano, et al​

Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology​

Baran and Dawber's Diseases of the Nails and their Management​

Im big into wound care and derm... but I do have McG, Chang and a couple Ortho ones I refer to from time to time

Reactions: 1 users

The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide To Personal Finance And Investing​

Members don't see this ad :)
rockwood and green fractures in adults.
I have my copy in my office but the 2nd edition volume I think has the foot/ankle section.
I learned more from this text than any text I have ever read. I read all the foot/ankle chapters in residency and it really boosted my understanding of fracture management.

I still reference Easly. That is also a good text.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dock Dockerys "lower extremity soft tissue and cutaneous plastic surgery" is a great reference to have also. I use it to plan simple flaps from time to time

The new Hyer group F&A book is cheap and not bad. The paperback is pretty affordable for the info you get from it.

...other than that, you covered it. Myerson > Chang > McGlamry > Coughlin book sets in my hands. Myerson (esp the old one with DVD) is by far the best since it has a lot of pics and his approach to the pathologies tends to most mirror my own thinking; his videos are quick and spliced but have everything you need. Gumann book is ok also for trauma F&A... most other books have little/no trauma coverage. I haven't read Easley but will buy it at some point since hospital jobs give a stupid amount of CME money. Sig Hansen is very good for anatomy/philosophy (but the fixation methods are largely outdated), but if you don't have it, you won't find it at a reasonable price since it's long out of print.

ACFAS video DVDs for foot, RRA, trauma, diab are worth buying also. You probably get more bang for your buck there than most books?

I like Easley, feel its pretty good for a quick cookbook style approach. Also I use Dockery's soft tissue book a lot more than I thought I would.

Residency I was very heavy on Mcglamery, but now I just don't feel I have the time because it can be so wordy. Coughlin even more so.

Is Mann's worth bothering?

Agree. Dockery is great. But Bofelli for surgical wound management is a legit bible for DFU.

Now that I do more Trauma, Rockwood and Green gets looked at a lot more.

Easley is not bad. I have literally every book there is out there (a few websites and winRar make this easy...).

Reactions: 1 user
There is only one book you’ll ever really need.

Attachments

• D64C27E3-8132-43D0-9FA0-D8B0F4A858B5.jpeg
    D64C27E3-8132-43D0-9FA0-D8B0F4A858B5.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 2 users