PhD Opportunity in Diabetic Foot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Paid PhD opportunity for those interested in the diabetic foot. They're seeking applications from all over the world.

See https://dialect-diabeticfoot.eu for more information or to apply.

Professor van Netten in Amsterdam is a stellar mentor.
Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 11.13.59 AM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh nooo... Now you will need a fellowship and a PhD to get that $80,000 per year associate job

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I just can't imagine. First, you have to already have a Master's Degree to be considered. Second, look at what the pay is. I'm pretty sure your student loan broker won't care that you are barely scrapping by actually live while you're getting this advanced degree and will want that monthly payment regardless.

Can I ask what advantage this will give to anyone? I'm trying not to be cheeky. Sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Phd people are different....if they wanted a PhD they would do that only instead of going to podiatry school.

I don't get the hate on this. If people want to go to Europe and get a PhD they should. We spend too much time judging other's professional choices without understanding or knowing their situation.

I don't get the hate on this. If people want to go to Europe and get a PhD they should. We spend too much time judging other's professional choices without understanding or knowing their situation.
this is something Johnny manziel would say....

Reactions: 1 user
I would never do it myself but I can see the draw for some people.

Which is why I asked. I would truly like to understand. "Professional choices" is one thing, but as a Podiatrist, what about getting this PhD can improve on your education or earning potential? At a certain point, you have to start making some kind of money. Unless you're independently wealthy, and never need to work. In which case, why in the world did you go to Podiatry school to begin with? I'm truly curious.

Which is why I asked. I would truly like to understand. "Professional choices" is one thing, but as a Podiatrist, what about getting this PhD can improve on your education or earning potential? At a certain point, you have to start making some kind of money. Unless you're independently wealthy, and never need to work. In which case, why in the world did you go to Podiatry school to begin with? I'm truly curious.
This was discussed previously in the Michigan fellowship thread. This sort of thing isn't about being a friendly neighborhood podiatrist. If you do something like this and you end up an associate - you did it wrong. The whole point was to try to change your trajectory, get into academics or industry or know people internationally. We did the usual back and forth about being a real surgeon and what not but that's not what this is about.

This was discussed previously in the Michigan fellowship thread. This sort of thing isn't about being a friendly neighborhood podiatrist. If you do something like this and you end up an associate - you did it wrong. The whole point was to try to change your trajectory, get into academics or industry or know people internationally. We did the usual back and forth about being a real surgeon and what not but that's not what this is about.

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but as a Podiatrist, change your trajectory to what? You don't need a PhD to get into Academics or the industry. Knowing people internationally isn't a function of your degree.

I know of two Podiatrists with PhDs in Academia. Jinsup Song in Philly, and David Armstrong. I'm sure I'm missing some. Apologies if I am.

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but as a Podiatrist, change your trajectory to what? You don't need a PhD to get into Academics or the industry. Knowing people internationally isn't a function of your degree.

I know of two Podiatrists with PhDs in Academia. Jinsup Song in Philly, and David Armstrong. I'm sure I'm missing some. Apologies if I am.
Thomas Roukis would be another.

I don't have a perfect answer for you, but I'll throw this out there. In this profession we tend to view achievement transactionally. You did something. You got something for it. More money, Hospital employment. More letters. Better surgeon whatever. Everything in the end though is measured ultimately in money. That's not unreasonable since we all also tend up terribly in debt. Theoretically the PhD in and of itself should grow, challenge, teach, change you as a person while also allowing you to contribute to the literature, to the profession, to humanity, whatever. Yes, people have done these things without it. You should somehow be different than them. Whether you will be or what you will be - I can't say. Whether you will receive the transactional benefits - I don't know though again if you don't pursue them I think something went astray.

I actually see a cardiologist who has a PhD. I'll have to him why the next time I see him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thomas Roukis would be another.

I don't have a perfect answer for you, but I'll throw this out there. In this profession we tend to view achievement transactionally. You did something. You got something for it. More money, Hospital employment. More letters. Better surgeon whatever. Everything in the end though is measured ultimately in money. That's not unreasonable since we all also tend up terribly in debt. Theoretically the PhD in and of itself should grow, challenge, teach, change you as a person while also allowing you to contribute to the literature, to the profession, to humanity, whatever. Yes, people have done these things without it. You should somehow be different than them. Whether you will be or what you will be - I can't say. Whether you will receive the transactional benefits - I don't know though again if you don't pursue them I think something went astray.

I actually see a cardiologist who has a PhD. I'll have to him why the next time I see him.
This and maybe someone went thru DPM school and doesnt like practicing. Got in too deep and couldnt just walk away due to the cost of education. Get a (i assume paid?) PhD and then work in industry or teaching.

Again, I wouldnt do it myself. But I see the draw to some people.

I know a ton of MD/PhDs. (though I think if they get the MD/PhD their MD school is free? Someone correct me if im wrong. Obvious benefits there).

This and maybe someone went thru DPM school and doesnt like practicing. Got in too deep and couldnt just walk away due to the cost of education. Get a (i assume paid?) PhD and then work in industry or teaching.

Not to mention, “academics” in podiatry is not the same as “academics” in medicine. Academic podiatry generally means affiliated with a pod school or any residency program. Many of which are are community hospitals or a group of private offices and surgery centers. Meaning, it’s a MUCH lower bar than academics in the MD/DO world. A PhD is what would be expected by a major University medical school in many cases for physicians. i.e. Armstrong and Keck (USC). Or Johns Hopkins, or Ohio State, or Duke, or UW or Wash U, etc.

If you want to be faculty at a major medical center/University as a podiatrist in the US you’re probably gonna have to stick to diabetic foot/limb salvage and a PhD would make you significantly more marketable.

I get it. Wouldn’t want to do it. But this makes sense for someone who wants to work/teach/research in a large US academic medical center as a podiatrist.

Reactions: 2 users

Anyone can dabble into research but if you want to do any real research design or statistical analysis, you’ll need to spend the time and mentorship only available in phd program. We have to practice evidence based medicine and it is HARD and time-consuming to produce. Aren’t you sick of reading podiatry articles with low levels of evidence?

Anyone can dabble into research but if you want to do any real research design or statistical analysis, you’ll need to spend the time and mentorship only available in phd program. We have to practice evidence based medicine and it is HARD and time-consuming to produce. Aren’t you sick of reading podiatry articles with low levels of evidence?

You are correct. Poorly written case reports can only take our profession so far. In most instances you need experience to properly design and execute a study. I went to and currently work at a program that puts out a decent level of research. We have PhD researchers, statisticians, data collection professionals, and our own IRB. We need set ups like I have or DPM/PhDs to advance our research. “Doing good work” can only take us so far.

I hope some from our profession takes this opportunity.

Tell me what is not scientific enough for you about "in my hands..."

• Love

I did those courses in College and did plenty of legit research without a Masters or a PhD. This was for Pharm and Wound Care companies that didn't publish the research because it didn't say what it was supposed to. I worked with the CDC, NIH and WHO with just a lowly DPM degree. And helped develop a national EBM curriculum for medical schools, residents and attendings in my time at Eastern Virginia Medical School. If you have interest, no PhD required.

You are correct. Poorly written case reports can only take our profession so far. In most instances you need experience to properly design and execute a study. I went to and currently work at a program that puts out a decent level of research. We have PhD researchers, statisticians, data collection professionals, and our own IRB. We need set ups like I have or DPM/PhDs to advance our research. “Doing good work” can only take us so far.

I hope some from our profession takes this opportunity.

Most large University hospitals can provide a lot of help in research design and statistical analysis. That's really my rub. You need to collaborate with those professionals to get great research produced. Doing it yourself just doesn't cut it.

Odd discussion. If you spend enough time in the academic world you quickly realize you either need landmark articles, a title, and a large institution behind you if you want to be “someone”. A phd is almost essential even for those with MD to be taken seriously. You do t get funding out of thin air for real research. This is not a financial route. But in 20 yours you’ll be Dr big.name.in.podiatry.woundcare rather than just a podiatrist.

It’s like politicians who went to Georgetown and then went to the military. We all know why they did it and guess what…it works.

Odd discussion. If you spend enough time in the academic world you quickly realize you either need landmark articles, a title, and a large institution behind you if you want to be “someone”. A phd is almost essential even for those with MD to be taken seriously. You do t get funding out of thin air for real research. This is not a financial route. But in 20 yours you’ll be Dr big.name.in.podiatry.woundcare rather than just a podiatrist.

It’s like politicians who went to Georgetown and then went to the military. We all know why they did it and guess what…it works.

Not to belabor the point, but no you don't. The WHO and NIH don't care about the letters after your name. They care about the design of your work. And you can learn that in College, like I did. You'd be amazed at how much money there is out there for good research. Even for people with lowly Bachelor of Science degrees. Been there, done that. Okay, sorry. My initial research was in Canada.

Not to belabor the point, but no you don't. The WHO and NIH don't care about the letters after your name. They care about the design of your work. And you can learn that in College, like I did. You'd be amazed at how much money there is out there for good research. Even for people with lowly Bachelor of Science degrees. Been there, done that. Okay, sorry. My initial research was in Canada.
I didn’t say you NEED it. Im saying it opens up doors. Phd has almost no correlation to your ability to conduct research. Unless you plan on running diabetic infection experiments on rats in your garage your going to need to work with an institution and they DO care about a phd. Why would someone dedicate their life to research and limit the resources available to them?

I didn’t say you NEED it. Im saying it opens up doors. Phd has almost no correlation to your ability to conduct research. Unless you plan on running diabetic infection experiments on rats in your garage your going to need to work with an institution and they DO care about a phd. Why would someone dedicate their life to research and limit the resources available to them?

First, institutions don't care about your degree. They care about your ability to secure research money. And you can dedicate your life to research without getting a PhD. Many physicians do.

If you read what I wrote previously, you'll see that I brought up that institutions have people who already have PhDs to help with research design and statistical analysis. If you're smart, you let them do that work. This is not a situation where being a jack of all trades is useful. In most situations.
I think I'll let this rest. People can certainly come to their own conclusions. I'm basing mine on actual real world experience. Take it or leave it.

From my experience in research, institutions really only care about: Results/publications + secure grant money or GTFO.

Got tired of it and no longer have the same drive to do research for podiatry related things.

From my experience in research, institutions really only care about: Results/publications + secure grant money or GTFO.

Got tired of it and no longer have the same drive to do research for podiatry related things.
Same. Especially when the research doesn't say what the people giving you the money expected it to say and junk it after a couple of years of hard work. Happened to me twice. I was done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same. Especially when the research doesn't say what the people giving you the money expected it say and junk it after a couple of years of hard work. Happened to me twice. I was done.
Its a cuthroat business.

This opportunity may be great for a grad student. I do not think it is necessary for a DPM who already has a background in basic research.