SexPanther

This could be a problem
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Sounds stupid...probably is.

I have 2 lady friends who swear up and down that women's feet increase in shoe size after being pregnant.

I've tried to explain that this may be a wive's tale and that I have never been taught or heard such a thing. I have offered that perhaps the perception of foot growth was 2/2 venous stasis and increased LE edema during pregnancy. This was shot down too.....it's not swelling, it's actual growth according to them.

So have any of you guys ever heard of something like this? I'm pretty sure I'm right but I want to be able to tell them they are FOS and have concrete evidence to back me up; I don't even know where to start looking, can't find anything in any of my old notes or books I have.

Expert opinion please.

Wednesday

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I have heard of this too, but attribute it to feet getting flatter due to lots of pressure on the arches. I doubt it's actually "growth" since our bones are pretty much fused by adulthood. Now my 14-year old patients, they are a different story. Maybe someone here has actual data though.

luvOB

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have also heard of this! Plus, my mother swears she grew an inch during her pregnancy (and sustained it!) :D

About the Ads

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
On average....increase of 1/2 to 1 shoe size...

related to lower arches in foot....hormone related changes.

SexPanther

This could be a problem
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
On average....increase of 1/2 to 1 shoe size...

related to lower arches in foot....hormone related changes.

Thanks for the responses. I found a couple of references online about hormonal related ligament laxity (as mil alluded to). I told them they are 1/2 right, they may wear a larger shoe size but their feet didn't actually "grow."

cali-ob

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
back where I belong!
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Bone growth, joint relaxation, arch loss, whatever! I have always had flat feet, so it's not the arch loss in my case.... b4 having children I wore a 5.5-6 depending on the shoe. I now where a 7-7.5! Maybe my feet are just fat! ;) but it's not just girth, it's length too, and I wasn't 14 when I had my children.
I have no study, just my personal story.

ms. a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2003
Houston
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I agree that it is a hormone-related ligament relaxation thing, and that it is certainly no old-wive's tale! I though it was just a bunch of bull, insisting that my feet never changed, because I never had to by new shoes. That was until I put my unforgiving ski boots on the winter after I delivered. A thousand dollars and a new pair of boots later, I now have to admit that pregnancy did, indeed, change my shoe size.

MichiMO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Changed for me too...had to buy new dansko's...the prepregnacy ones definitly DO NOT fit.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.