For adcoms/medical students who participate in interviews/selections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
why should i apologize when it's not my fault? you said people have conflicts urself...so putting it behind and not holding onto it should be the key

Haha because apologizing whether you are right or wrong shows that you are mature enough to move on from the situation and hold no ill feelings

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the concept of impartiality on the part of the student interviewer is perhaps a misconception as it would be in, say, a job interview. Interviewing can often be less about truly evaluating one's technical qualifications and more evaluating interpersonal skills and rapport, because most people don't want to work with a genius who is also an a**. I can tell you that this explicitly applies to medical school interviewing, because the essential question that we are asked is "can I see myself working with this candidate as a student/resident/attending etc.?" If the interviewer already knew the student was truly a mean/insufferable/fill-in-negative-adjective-here person (not just a personal belief but one held by multiple people), I can them being within their right to interview and rate the student poorly. At my program, students are often interviewing people from their undergrad institution and been interviewed by people from undergrad just because of the rapport the pair can have even without having met before. That being said, I know of a candidate-interviewer pair who went to the same undergrad, had not met before, but the interviewer realized that the candidate was flat-out lying about a particular experience in the application and rated the candidate accordingly on the evaluation.

The take-home point here is interviewing is not an impartial process and you should tread carefully in your interpersonal interactions all over the place because medicine is a relatively small community; you never know when that person could come back to interview you.

youd said opinion held by multiple people? how can a single interviewer PROVE a view held by multiple people? can bob just say that "a lot of ppl at my school hate gearsofwar3" and that'll suffice?

This is gonna be one of my last threads for a while....

I understand that many medical students participate in the interview/selection process at their medical schools. I am wondering if schools have explicit policies that prohibit a medical student from interviewing someone (aka an applicant) whom they know from undergrad and/or there existed a negative relationship between the two individuals. I've heard from people who have gotten into Florida public schools telling me that they are not allowed to interview anyone that they know. So if Bob knows me from undergrad and we didn't get along (or were best buddies), then Bob is not allowed to interview me or evaluating me.

I would say that medical students are not the most effective evaluators of prospective applicants, and i would hope that even in schools that use medical students as interviewers, the primary decision-makers would be actual adcoms.

I just PMed an attending and he told me that if he feels that he cannot objectively judge an applicant (he was an interviewer when in medical school), he'll recuse himself from the interviewing process. However, I am not confident that every medical student will behave this professionally. It would really give me some reassurance to know that medical schools have explicit policies that prevent medical students from "getting back" at an applicant through the interview process.

Lastly, I am not the nicest person in the world, and I've had plenty of negative interactions with people in undergrad, people who are now accepted to medical schools. the last thing i want is getting screwed over from one of them if they happen to interview me.

Thanks

Do you currently have financial difficulties? Could you be construed as being in poverty?

I have a specific reason for asking this, and it has nothing to do with any sort of prejudice against the poor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you currently have financial difficulties? Could you be construed as being in poverty?

I have a specific reason for asking this, and it has nothing to do with any sort of prejudice against the poor.

i am not poor. are you asking me trying to suggest that i

a) seek professional help
b) donate $40 so i can be a gold member and delete this thread

??

give me some examples of his "doucheness". did you just hear from someone that he's a douche? or did u actually encounter him during the interview?

I personally worked with him abroad and can attest to it. He was just overall very condescending and thought of himself very highly. I don't think I need to say anymore.

I personally worked with him abroad and can attest to it. He was just overall very condescending and thought of himself very highly. I don't think I need to say anymore.

i see. i've met a lot of these people at my undergrad and i know exactly how you feel.

you see, i am CA resident but i attended an out of state public school (a very good one too) on a scholarship (doesn't cover everything, but i ended up paying about the same as i would with a UC - so i went with it).

because it is a good publica university, there were lots of full scholarships given to entice top students to go there. i've encountered some of those scholars and my impressions of them is the same as yours of that student. and needless to say, one of them called me a ****** and said i should never go to med school. he's part of the reason why i busted my dick getting that 41

i am not poor. are you asking me trying to suggest that i

a) seek professional help
b) donate $40 so i can be a gold member and delete this thread

??

I was wondering if you were sincere with your plight or if you were seeking attention rather than help.

If you had sought help rather than attention, then you got all the help you needed on your numerous other threads.

You asked about doing unethical things to get into medical school. People told you this was unethical and too risky. People then advised you to spend $40 to delete the threads where you gave out a lot of personal information so that you would not be leaving yourself at risk for being blackballed from medical schools.

You claim you do not have financial difficulties. $40 should not be a big problem for you to spend. Rather than spend the money to delete the threads, you continued to act like a child and drew more attention to yourself with multiple threads and continued posting in the threads that gave out your personal information along with your unethical plans.

Based on this, the logical conclusion is that you are not here for help. You are here to get people's attention and possibly to annoy them.

This is gonna be one of my last threads for a while....

I understand that many medical students participate in the interview/selection process at their medical schools. I am wondering if schools have explicit policies that prohibit a medical student from interviewing someone (aka an applicant) whom they know from undergrad and/or there existed a negative relationship between the two individuals. I've heard from people who have gotten into Florida public schools telling me that they are not allowed to interview anyone that they know. So if Bob knows me from undergrad and we didn't get along (or were best buddies), then Bob is not allowed to interview me or evaluating me.

I would say that medical students are not the most effective evaluators of prospective applicants, and i would hope that even in schools that use medical students as interviewers, the primary decision-makers would be actual adcoms.

I just PMed an attending and he told me that if he feels that he cannot objectively judge an applicant (he was an interviewer when in medical school), he'll recuse himself from the interviewing process. However, I am not confident that every medical student will behave this professionally. It would really give me some reassurance to know that medical schools have explicit policies that prevent medical students from "getting back" at an applicant through the interview process.

Lastly, I am not the nicest person in the world, and I've had plenty of negative interactions with people in undergrad, people who are now accepted to medical schools. the last thing i want is getting screwed over from one of them if they happen to interview me.

Thanks

This:

I'm not sure I'd define that as being 'screwed over'. If you've rubbed so many people wrong that you have to worry about running into them, I think that says something.

If you have made that many enemies in UG, it honestly serves you right. You probably need to work on your social skills a bit.

However, that doesn't mean that I think biased interviews should/would be allowed. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some sort of mechanism in place to report/avoid bias.

The schools I interviewed at certainly had mechanisms like this in place from what they told us. That said, it is always possible to pull strings and people do so all the time for a variety of reasons (and with a variety of possible outcomes).

i have wronged others during undergrad, and others have wronged me. undergrad are known to have petty problems relating to all sorts of issues. i was never a douche in undergrad.

and if what you told me is correct, then someone who knows me interviewing me is even worse. they can easily say (or make up) a story of how i was hard to get along with in undergrad, and therefore, i dont think the person is "a good fit" for our school because i didn't like him in undergrad.

and you are right. i didn't understand the purpose of student interviewers, so that's why i bothered making tis thread. and i would really appreciate ppl not calling me a douche.

What sorts of "petty issues" are we talking about? I can't say I ever really ran into any major "petty issues" as an UG. Sure, I had break ups with girlfriends that were occasionally messy but we always cleaned things up afterward and went on with our lives with some degree of mutual harmony (not that I'd have hoped for them to help me get into med school or anything). College wasn't high school. Med school is MUCH more like high school than college. If you have trouble "playing nice" you might want to try another field (such as bench research or comp sci). Frankly, many members of my class have repeatedly said we have yet to meet someone in our class with whom we do not get along or whom we dislike. Sure, it's not going to be like that all 4 years, but I consider it a testament to our Office of Admissions as they have done a great job selecting an extremely diverse group of students (ethnically, religiously, interest-wise, etc.) that simultaneously cohesive. If you aren't able to play nice with us, we don't really want you in our group. Sorry. That's how it's going to be when you apply. Med student interviewers are asked to interview applicants (potential future students) to determine whether or not this person would fit in and be enjoyable to be in med school with.

I seriously wonder if you even know what you have been posting or what you sound like.

Btw, I know plenty of people who were non-science majors and never had personality conflicts with anyone because of their major.

Frankly, I'd expect the OP, being a non-sci major, ought to get along BETTER with other pre-meds since he would have friends outside that group and not be in as much of the rat race w/ them. I was (surprise surprise) a music major and was probably one of the most popular, best-known premeds at my school. Big whoop. Doesn't matter, but it goes to show you you needn't be "in the in crowd" or a sci major to have other pre-meds like you.

give me some examples of his "doucheness". did you just hear from someone that he's a douche? or did u actually encounter him during the interview?

The description you got pretty much told you why he was a douche. Don't be a douche/d*ck:

howtonotbeadick.jpg

I was wondering if you were sincere with your plight or if you were seeking attention rather than help.

If you had sought help rather than attention, then you got all the help you needed on your numerous other threads.

You asked about doing unethical things to get into medical school. People told you this was unethical and too risky. People then advised you to spend $40 to delete the threads where you gave out a lot of personal information so that you would not be leaving yourself at risk for being blackballed from medical schools.

You claim you do not have financial difficulties. $40 should not be a big problem for you to spend. Rather than spend the money to delete the threads, you continued to act like a child and drew more attention to yourself with multiple threads and continued posting in the threads that gave out your personal information along with your unethical plans.

Based on this, the logical conclusion is that you are not here for help. You are here to get people's attention and possibly to annoy them.

i dont think med schools would blackball/blacklist anyone. i have't done anything yet. and i never said that i've DECIDED to lie. i did think about it, but i am now backing away from it partly because of the advice from u people

Are you in any way regretful of the way you treated people in undergrad? Have you learned from this experience? It seems to me that in the interviews you might be so concerned/paranoid/bitter, that your interviews will suffer anyway. Perhaps this focus would be better spent improving your interview skills and getting a better handle on this process than trying to break it down. Just my thoughts.

Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and they won't offer you an interview. Problem solved.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course haha I couldn't resist though this whole thread is ridiculous ... but my comment may be just as relevant as anything else

I don't understand why that friend feature is there - I just ignore all requests.

I must be antisocial. :scared:

ok maybe i came off as an ass when i said that the OP's classmate had a legitimate concern about him being a doctor, but if the OP is so paranoid to make multiple ridiculous threads and then beg for forgiveness, then there is obviously some deep-seated issues that he has to deal with.

ok maybe i came off as an ass when i said that the OP's classmate had a legitimate concern about him being a doctor, but if the OP is so paranoid to make multiple ridiculous threads and then beg for forgiveness, then there is obviously some deep-seated issues that he has to deal with.

This is the feeling that I got as I read further into his threads. I know it's stupid to make these kinds of comments over the internet (and funnily enough, on a premed forum) but does it seem like OP has some kind of psychological problem? The anti-social behavior, self alienation, paranoia, history of social problems, and general douchiness just seems like he has an actual problem. I don't know, I think he should see a therapist before applying.

See, I just think that there might be an infinite loop somewhere. :rolleyes:

This is the feeling that I got as I read further into his threads. I know it's stupid to make these kinds of comments over the internet (and funnily enough, on a premed forum) but does it seem like OP has some kind of psychological problem? The anti-social behavior, self alienation, paranoia, history of social problems, and general douchiness just seems like he has an actual problem. I don't know, I think he should see a therapist before applying.
Might have a problem but it's hardly something you can dx over the internet. I would tend to agree, however, that if the OP has chronic issues getting along w/ other people, it might be best to see a psychologist and figure out what's going on.
See, I just think that there might be an infinite loop somewhere. :rolleyes:

Only an infinite loop if the OP can't stop being a d*ck. If you figure that out for yourself, you get rewarded for being "AWESOME"!

I've read your threads man. Quit posting on here, just apply, and continue to live your life in peace as all of SDN should.

Let's all just take a moment that we're blessed enough to be able to use a computer let alone apply to medical school.

The point of having a medical student as an interviewer is not so much to evaluate an applicant's credentials but to get a general feel for a person as a whole (i.e., is this someone I want to work with?). I, for one, think medical student interviewers are a great idea, because it gives you a chance to relax a little and let more of your personality show.

Not all schools do student interviews. I actually only remember 2 schools having a student interview. Many schools will do one or two faculty interviews or :)scared:) MMI.

i went to a large public state university with heavy emphasis on the sciences/engineering. i was a music pre med, so i was very different from most of my pre med peers. there were personality conflicts between me and them, and most of them have gotten in this past cycle.

they could very well say "based on my undergraduate interactions with gearsofwar3, i believe he's not a fit with our school"
The M1s and M2s did not conduct any interviews. Only the M3s and M4s did, so your "friends" will not be interviewing you, if it's at all like my school. At UWisc, I think the M2s might have been involved...

They should very well not say "based on my undergraduate interactions with him," because that would clearly show they have previous associations with you, so they shouldn't be interviewing you. BUT, they could legitimately contact the director of admissions with "serious misgivings" about you, and that's not necessarily inappropriate.

Also, at my school, when I did interviews, we rated the applicants after interviewing them, and then discussed our ratings with the other interviewer. If there was a significant discrepancy, then the case might be reviewed and result in an additional "tie-breaker" interview.

The problem you are going to have is coming off as sincere. A guy from my school had a 39 MCAT, 3.89 cGPA (4.0 sGPA), graduated with honors and had two publications. He interviewed at 8 schools and was rejected at all of them because, simply put, he is a douche. He is cocky and talks down to people. When someone offers him advice, he doesn't listen and continues doing his own thing despite asking for help in the first place.

Sound like anyone you know?

His feedback from the schools was always, "You need to work on personal skills before we would ever think of offering you a seat."

How about you worry about obtaining the personal skills before you worry about your interviewer? You should be able to articulately talk and handle any problems with the interviewer, even if he comes in biased.
This is the /thread right here. LMAO at OP. The way I see it, if you have so many people hating you that your that worried about them "screwing" you over, then you probably deserve whatever comes to you. If you have a lot of enemies it's most likely because you're not a kind person. If you admit that your kindness is below average and your personallity conflicts with a lot of people then you probably wouldn't be a good fit for any sort of career dealing with people on a day to day base. You might be better of as an accountant. Otherwise you gotta change the you look at things. Or at least pretend to so people will like you.