For adcoms/medical students who participate in interviews/selections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gearsofwar3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is gonna be one of my last threads for a while....

I understand that many medical students participate in the interview/selection process at their medical schools. I am wondering if schools have explicit policies that prohibit a medical student from interviewing someone (aka an applicant) whom they know from undergrad and/or there existed a negative relationship between the two individuals. I've heard from people who have gotten into Florida public schools telling me that they are not allowed to interview anyone that they know. So if Bob knows me from undergrad and we didn't get along (or were best buddies), then Bob is not allowed to interview me or evaluating me.

I would say that medical students are not the most effective evaluators of prospective applicants, and i would hope that even in schools that use medical students as interviewers, the primary decision-makers would be actual adcoms.

I just PMed an attending and he told me that if he feels that he cannot objectively judge an applicant (he was an interviewer when in medical school), he'll recuse himself from the interviewing process. However, I am not confident that every medical student will behave this professionally. It would really give me some reassurance to know that medical schools have explicit policies that prevent medical students from "getting back" at an applicant through the interview process.

Lastly, I am not the nicest person in the world, and I've had plenty of negative interactions with people in undergrad, people who are now accepted to medical schools. the last thing i want is getting screwed over from one of them if they happen to interview me.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure I'd define that as being 'screwed over'. If you've rubbed so many people wrong that you have to worry about running into them, I think that says something.

However, that doesn't mean that I think biased interviews should/would be allowed. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some sort of mechanism in place to report/avoid bias.

I understand that many medical students participate in the interview/selection process at their medical schools. I am wondering if schools have explicit policies that prohibit a medical student from interviewing someone (aka an applicant) whom they know from undergrad and/or there existed a negative relationship between the two individuals. I've heard from people who have gotten into Florida public schools telling me that they are not allowed to interview anyone that they know. So if Bob knows me from undergrad and we didn't get along (or were best buddies), then Bob is not allowed to interview me or evaluating me.
Then Bob is supposed to remove himself from any part of the process to avoid a conflict of interest.
I would say that medical students are not the most effective evaluators of prospective applicants, and i would hope that even in schools that use medical students as interviewers, the primary decision-makers would be actual adcoms.
You clearly do not understand the purpose of having student interviewers. When a current medical student evaluates you, it's not about your academic credentials, or your resume. The admissions committee already has those to judge your ability in the classroom. The reason that a medical student participates in interviews is simply to determine whether or not the applicant is someone that he or she would want to be in medical school with. Believe it or not, but people really do care about what kinds of people they admit into their school and whether or not they think these people are good fits personality-wise. And if you come across as a pompous asshat, then the adcoms will hear about it.
Lastly, I am not the nicest person in the world, and I've had plenty of negative interactions with people in undergrad, people who are now accepted to medical schools. the last thing i want is getting screwed over from one of them if they happen to interview me.
Getting screwed over? You screwed yourself by being a douche.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then Bob is supposed to remove himself from any part of the process to avoid a conflict of interest.
You clearly do not understand the purpose of having student interviewers. When a current medical student evaluates you, it's not about your academic credentials, or your resume. The admissions committee already has those to judge your ability in the classroom. The reason that a medical student participates in interviews is simply to determine whether or not the applicant is someone that he or she would want to be in medical school with. Believe it or not, but people really do care about what kinds of people they admit into their school and whether or not they think these people are good fits personality-wise. And if you come across as a pompous asshat, then the adcoms will hear about it.
Getting screwed over? You screwed yourself by being a douche.

i have wronged others during undergrad, and others have wronged me. undergrad are known to have petty problems relating to all sorts of issues. i was never a douche in undergrad.

and if what you told me is correct, then someone who knows me interviewing me is even worse. they can easily say (or make up) a story of how i was hard to get along with in undergrad, and therefore, i dont think the person is "a good fit" for our school because i didn't like him in undergrad.

and you are right. i didn't understand the purpose of student interviewers, so that's why i bothered making tis thread. and i would really appreciate ppl not calling me a douche.

How would you know whether or not medical students are effective evaluators? I think you are a poor evaluator of effective evaluators.

People aren't as immature as you perceive them to be. I believe those individuals involved in with interview process will all act professionally.

I personally think you have much more important issues to address than these "what if and if and if..." scenarios that may possibly happen. Stop nitpicking at every little flaw that could possibly exist in the system and worry about yourself first.

How would you know whether or not medical students are effective evaluators? I think you are a poor evaluator of effective evaluators.

People aren't as immature as you perceive them to be. I believe those individuals involved in with interview process will all act professionally.

I personally think you have much more important issues to address than these "what if and if and if..." scenarios that may possibly happen. Stop nitpicking at every little flaw that could possibly exist in the system and worry about yourself first.

thanks for the response. i do have more important issues to address, but my application is pretty much complete. all the major pieces are in order (MCAT, grades, ECs, etc), so i think it is natural for me to consider the steps ahead. i dont think that this is an unreasonable thread.

and btw, people dont have to be "immature" to "screw" someone over. they have to be malicious while being effective at cloaking that desire. medical students/pre meds are smart, and i won't put it past anyone to actually do something like that. imagine that Jane and Sophia had a very rocky relationship in undergrad and both are incredibly bitter towards each other. Jane is a med student and sophia just happens to be the next person she interviews....you don't think that that's something to worry about?

My point is...there's a seperation of power between the medical student and the applicant. and whever we have seperations of power between two parties, we always see the more powerful entity (in this case, the medical studnet) trying to do nefarious things with its power superiority.

I am not a troll, and i would appreciate it that you respect that. this is a very serious issue for me (as I am applying soon), and I hope you understand why I am this insistent.

I am a real human being who went to a large state university where this types of things happen very often. don't judge someone until you've spend time in his shoes.

I am not a troll, and i would appreciate it that you respect that. this is a very serious issue for me (as I am applying soon), and I hope you understand why I am this insistent.

I am a real human being who went to a large state university where this types of things happen very often. don't judge someone until you've spend time in his shoes.
Are you so self-involved that you've somehow convinced yourself that you are in some sort of unique situation? Spend some time in your shoes? Is this a joke?

It is highly unlikely that you will have an interviewer that you have a history with. It is even more unlikely that this interviewer actually does hold a grudge against you. Adding on, it is even more unlikely that the interviewer would be stupid enough to let a grudge affect their actions. All in all, you are worrying about something that is stupid to worry about.

For example, there is a possibility that I get struck by lightning on my way to the interview and am unable to interview for medical school due to health reasons. Is it possible? Yeah, but similar to your question, it is highly unlikely. Theres no point in playing devil's advocate and hating on every possible flaw in the system. Just go turn on the Xbox and play some GoW3 for a couple days and stop worrying about inconsequential things.

Are you so self-involved that you've somehow convinced yourself that you are in some sort of unique situation? Spend some time in your shoes? Is this a joke?

it is not a joke. you called me a douche, and i didn't appreciate that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't you inform the admissions committee post-interview that you know the student interviewer?

Couldn't you inform the admissions committee post-interview that you know the student interviewer?

i've thought about that. but it is very possible that the adcom will just decide that i am BSing and trying to complain after a perhaps negative interview. when deciding between a current student vs an applicant, the school will go with the current student anyday.

and if i say anything thing of concern to the adcom...they'll just categorize me as a whinny applicant and axe my app.

unforunately, until you become a student, you'll the lowest of the low, and you got to be a servant until that acceptance letter.

i've thought about that. but it is very possible that the adcom will just decide that i am BSing and trying to complain after a perhaps negative interview. when deciding between a current student vs an applicant, the school will go with the current student anyday.

and if i say anything thing of concern to the adcom...they'll just categorize me as a whinny applicant and axe my app.

unforunately, until you become a student, you'll the lowest of the low, and you got to be a servant until that acceptance letter.

Calm down. If you feel like your interview was unfair/biased in any way, you can talk to the admissions office/dean and request another interview. Make sure to explain coherently what went wrong, and why. Usually they'll grant you another, and the adcom will most likely make their character assessments from the additional interview.
You have nothing to lose by asking - you're boned if you don't say anything to the admissions office, and still boned if you say something and they don't believe you.
Best of luck.

I think you're over thinking this, unless you've had run-ins with half of the US med adcoms population. What's with the big worry here?

I think you're over thinking this, unless you've had run-ins with half of the US med adcoms population. What's with the big worry here?

i went to a large public state university with heavy emphasis on the sciences/engineering. i was a music pre med, so i was very different from most of my pre med peers. there were personality conflicts between me and them, and most of them have gotten in this past cycle.

they could very well say "based on my undergraduate interactions with gearsofwar3, i believe he's not a fit with our school"

i would hope that interviewers base their decisions on their actual interaction with me rather than some past interaction years ago.

i went to a large public state university with heavy emphasis on the sciences/engineering. i was a music pre med, so i was very different from most of my pre med peers. there were personality conflicts between me and them, and most of them have gotten in this past cycle.

they could very well say "based on my undergraduate interactions with gearsofwar3, i believe he's not a fit with our school"

i would hope that interviewers base their decisions on their actual interaction with me rather than some past interaction years ago.

People refer to you by your SDN name in real life? Whoa.

i went to a large public state university with heavy emphasis on the sciences/engineering. i was a music pre med, so i was very different from most of my pre med peers. there were personality conflicts between me and them

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm pretty sure you just thought you were "better" than them because you didn't major STEM. You having the sense of superiority probably lead to the "personality conflicts" because they thought what most people on SDN seem to think about you.

You are learning now why you should always be nice to people, because you never know who will be sitting across from you in an interview.

The odds of you getting interviewed by someone you pissed off are ridiculously low even assuming you pissed off your entire school and no one opts out because they already know you (as they should).

What did you do to possibly piss off so many people? And even if you had serious problems with other students, the odds of it mattering are low unless it's reflected in a committee letter, etc.

I imagine my most schools would expect you to not to do the interview if you know the applicant. I know mine would. We're not even supposed to interview applicants that we host the night before. As you say, though, there is no way for the school to know unless the interviewer lets them know ahead of time or unless you tell them afterward.

(sent from my phone)

it is not a joke. you called me a douche, and i didn't appreciate that.
I seriously wonder if you even know what you have been posting or what you sound like.

i have wronged others during undergrad, and others have wronged me. undergrad are known to have petty problems relating to all sorts of issues. i was never a douche in undergrad.

i was a music pre med, so i was very different from most of my pre med peers. there were personality conflicts between me and them, and most of them have gotten in this past cycle.

Btw, I know plenty of people who were non-science majors and never had personality conflicts with anyone because of their major.

Last edited:

Aren't they still basing their evaluation off of their actual interactions with you in this case? Recent long-term interactions allow for a better judge of character/fit than some 20-30 minute "I'm on my best behavior" chat..

If your interviewer has met you before though, they should recuse themselves as others have pointed out. At one school where this happened, the student interviewers just swapped interviewees.

The odds of you getting interviewed by someone you pissed off are ridiculously low even assuming you pissed off your entire school and no one opts out because they already know you (as they should).

What did you do to possibly piss off so many people? And even if you had serious problems with other students, the odds of it mattering are low unless it's reflected in a committee letter, etc.

I didnt piss off so many people. a few people didnt like me, and i didnt like a few others. that's all.

i never had any interaction more than a simple "hi" with the people i dont like. but they can be mean and make up stories. or they can rely on rumors about me. a lot of possibilities.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm pretty sure you just thought you were "better" than them because you didn't major STEM. You having the sense of superiority probably lead to the "personality conflicts" because they thought what most people on SDN seem to think about you.

You are learning now why you should always be nice to people, because you never know who will be sitting across from you in an interview.

I don't think that i am better than anyone else, but i am proud of the fact that for someone who's not a science major, i was able to score so well on the MCAT. please don't judge those you don't know, something i am afraid that student interviewers will do.

I don't think that i am better than anyone else, but i am proud of the fact that for someone who's not a science major, i was able to score so well on the MCAT. please don't judge those you don't know, something i am afraid that student interviewers will do.

You're afraid of an interviewer getting a bad first impression of you? Isn't that part of why they do interviews? To weed out the people who have outstanding stats but poor social skills?

and if what you told me is correct, then someone who knows me interviewing me is even worse. they can easily say (or make up) a story of how i was hard to get along with in undergrad, and therefore, i dont think the person is "a good fit" for our school because i didn't like him in undergrad.

and you are right. i didn't understand the purpose of student interviewers, so that's why i bothered making tis thread. and i would really appreciate ppl not calling me a douche.

The problem you are going to have is coming off as sincere. A guy from my school had a 39 MCAT, 3.89 cGPA (4.0 sGPA), graduated with honors and had two publications. He interviewed at 8 schools and was rejected at all of them because, simply put, he is a douche. He is cocky and talks down to people. When someone offers him advice, he doesn't listen and continues doing his own thing despite asking for help in the first place.

Sound like anyone you know?

His feedback from the schools was always, "You need to work on personal skills before we would ever think of offering you a seat."

How about you worry about obtaining the personal skills before you worry about your interviewer? You should be able to articulately talk and handle any problems with the interviewer, even if he comes in biased.

This is pretty simple. You only really have a few options of what will happen if and only if the student doesn't automatically bow out of the interview like they should.

1. They interview you and see you on your best behavior while having no discussion of past wrongs and they give you a positive review because you've grown up (supposedly)
2. They interview you and bring up that they know you from undergrad and should be excused from the room.
3. They interview you and say nothing of past interactions but deeply hate you because apparently you did something so horrendous in undergrad that has left them scarred several years down the road so they decide they are going to "get back" at you by saying you suck at life and shouldn't get into medical school.

Which one of these do you think is going to happen? Do you really think if a student took a perfectly good interview candidate and then said that you don't seem like a good fit that the other people on the panel are going to just go with it for no reason?

Stop worrying about this crap. If and that's a big if, you don't come of as a jerk in the interview, no one can have a logical basis for rejecting you unless they admit they know you and have a bias. this should cause their opinion to be thrown out.

Just perform in interviews and try not to offend so many people. If you are planning on being a doctor, why we should all have to be telling you this is just sad.

i never had any interaction more than a simple "hi" with the people i dont like. but they can be mean and make up stories. or they can rely on rumors about me. a lot of possibilities.
So you've only said 'hi' occasionally to these people you're afraid of? Earlier though you said you've "wronged others" in the past and that you've "had plenty of negative interactions with people in undergrad, people who are now accepted to medical schools." It seems like you must've done something more than a "simple 'hi'.."

If what you're saying is true, you'll be fine, don't overthink it. Why would they purposely sabotage someone they don't even know in their evaluations..? And even if you're lying, it's unlikely this would affect your chances of being accepted somewhere. The chances of you being interviewed by someone you know is pretty small and the chances of this occurring at every interview is practically zero.. Just apply broadly if you're really that afraid.

You're afraid of an interviewer getting a bad first impression of you? Isn't that part of why they do interviews? To weed out the people who have outstanding stats but poor social skills?

that's NOT my concern. my concern is that student interviewers make their impression with PRECONCEIVED notions about me, and NOT on the actual interation between me and him/her during the actual interview. and when someone who told me flat out "******s like you don't deserve to go to med school" and "i hope you never get into med school" is now in medical school and in a position to interview me/decide my fate...i think my concern is legitimate.

that's NOT my concern. my concern is that student interviewers make their impression with PRECONCEIVED notions about me, and NOT on the actual interation between me and him/her during the actual interview. and when someone who told me flat out "******s like you don't deserve to go to med school" and "i hope you never get into med school" is now in medical school and in a position to interview me/decide my fate...i think my concern is legitimate.

Relax. You can just tell the Dean of Admissions that you knew your interviewer from a previous experience and you will get a new interview that day.

Probably won't be an issue because people recuse themselves. In the event they don't, you can tell the admissions staff you knew your interviewer. There's really not much else to it.

The problem you are going to have is coming off as sincere. A guy from my school had a 39 MCAT, 3.89 cGPA (4.0 sGPA), graduated with honors and had two publications. He interviewed at 8 schools and was rejected at all of them because, simply put, he is a douche. He is cocky and talks down to people. When someone offers him advice, he doesn't listen and continues doing his own thing despite asking for help in the first place.

His feedback from the schools was always, "You need to work on personal skills before we would ever think of offering you a seat."

How about you worry about obtaining the personal skills before you worry about your interviewer? You should be able to articulately talk and handle any problems with the interviewer, even if he comes in biased.

did the guy act like dick DURING the interview? if he did, then of course that's a problem. but i am not stupid

and i have no right to talk down on others with my 3.4 science GPA (only did really well on organic chemistry - was a tutor for 1.5-2 yrs), lack of publications, lack of organized international volunteering, lack of major leadership experiences, etc.

i just want to get in somewhere and be a MD in order to accomplish my goal; i am not here to pick fights or to subject myself to unwarrated criticisms.

just food for thought but maybe their concern was legitimate too...

I just PMed an attending and he told me that if he feels that he cannot objectively judge an applicant (he was an interviewer when in medical school), he'll recuse himself from the interviewing process. However, I am not confident that every medical student will behave this professionally. It would really give me some reassurance to know that medical schools have explicit policies that prevent medical students from "getting back" at an applicant through the interview process.

Thanks
you're just objectively a dillweed
Btw, I know plenty of people who were non-science majors and never had personality conflicts with anyone because of their major.
as a matter of fact i know no one who had personality conflicts because of their major.... it's usually because of their personality

Last edited:
just food for thought but maybe their concern was legitimate too...

when someone said to me "******s like you shouldn't go to med school" your first concern is that what they said is legitimate?

i didn't have a smooth experience in undergrad, and people judged me without knowing what's truly going on. for a while i was very isolated from my social group because of some familial problems. and people began calling me a ******, saying that i dont have the "people" skills to be a doctor. they are legitimate?

when I didn't want to talk to my friends because i was too saddened by the sudden illness of my 80 yr old grandmother is judged as being unfit for med school - that's legitimate?

You need to think long and hard about your paranoia.You started an entire thread about how you feel you'll be judged unfairly by people who know you.

did the guy act like dick DURING the interview? if he did, then of course that's a problem. but i am not stupid

and i have no right to talk down on others with my 3.4 science GPA (only did really well on organic chemistry - was a tutor for 1.5-2 yrs), lack of publications, lack of organized international volunteering, lack of major leadership experiences, etc.

i just want to get in somewhere and be a MD in order to accomplish my goal; i am not here to pick fights or to subject myself to unwarrated criticisms.

I don't know what he acted like, but I am sure he did not try to be a dick. That would just be stupid.

However, try as you might, your personality will slip and the true you will come out. The only thing I can try to suggest is working with people, one on one, and attempt to change your personality. Be more open and friendly, that way you can go into the interviews being yourself. People can normally spot someone who is faking it so I wouldn't suggest trying to disguise yourself.

Are you not seeing the paranoia in the things you post? You either did something more to tarnish your reputation than you are indicating here or are just being overly paranoid. You're setting yourself up for failure before you've even done an interview.

You need to think long and hard about your paranoia.You started an entire thread about how you feel you'll be judged unfairly by people who know you.

are you saying that because they know me, their judgement is fair?

and no i am not paranoid...but i did have some unpleasant experiences that no undergrad should have to experience. but in spite of it all, i didn't give up and managed to finish strong.

give me some examples of his "doucheness". did you just hear from someone that he's a douche? or did u actually encounter him during the interview?

I think that the concept of impartiality on the part of the student interviewer is perhaps a misconception as it would be in, say, a job interview. Interviewing can often be less about truly evaluating one's technical qualifications and more evaluating interpersonal skills and rapport, because most people don't want to work with a genius who is also an a**. I can tell you that this explicitly applies to medical school interviewing, because the essential question that we are asked is "can I see myself working with this candidate as a student/resident/attending etc.?" If the interviewer already knew the student was truly a mean/insufferable/fill-in-negative-adjective-here person (not just a personal belief but one held by multiple people), I can them being within their right to interview and rate the student poorly. At my program, students are often interviewing people from their undergrad institution and been interviewed by people from undergrad just because of the rapport the pair can have even without having met before. That being said, I know of a candidate-interviewer pair who went to the same undergrad, had not met before, but the interviewer realized that the candidate was flat-out lying about a particular experience in the application and rated the candidate accordingly on the evaluation.

The take-home point here is interviewing is not an impartial process and you should tread carefully in your interpersonal interactions all over the place because medicine is a relatively small community; you never know when that person could come back to interview you.

give me some examples of his "doucheness". did you just hear from someone that he's a douche? or did u actually encounter him during the interview?

Do you realize the likelihood of running into someone you know at the medical school(s) you are interviewing at is small, and that the likelihood of them being on the admissions committee is even smaller? Do you also realize that the opinions of the students on the admissions committee are more than likely not given the same weight as faculty who interview you?

Like I said earlier, you've either done something far more grave than you are letting on or you are being delusional.

I think that the concept of impartiality on the part of the student interviewer is perhaps a misconception as it would be in, say, a job interview. Interviewing can often be less about truly evaluating one's technical qualifications and more evaluating interpersonal skills and rapport, because most people don't want to work with a genius who is also an a**. I can tell you that this explicitly applies to medical school interviewing, because the essential question that we are asked is "can I see myself working with this candidate as a student/resident/attending etc.?" If the interviewer already knew the student was truly a mean/insufferable/fill-in-negative-adjective-here person (not just a personal belief but one held by multiple people), I can them being within their right to interview and rate the student poorly. At my program, students are often interviewing people from their undergrad institution and been interviewed by people from undergrad just because of the rapport the pair can have even without having met before. That being said, I know of a candidate-interviewer pair who went to the same undergrad, had not met before, but the interviewer realized that the candidate was flat-out lying about a particular experience in the application and rated the candidate accordingly on the evaluation.

The take-home point here is interviewing is not an impartial process and you should tread carefully in your interpersonal interactions all over the place because medicine is a relatively small community; you never know when that person could come back to interview you.

i see. but how much weight does a student interviewer's evaluation have in the whole process? it should carry the least weight.

and i would hope that if i have a legitimate conflict of interest, the adcom will take it seriously.

As I read some of these threads it scares me that some of these individuals may be my colleagues someday.

If you are serious about medical school then it is time to grow up and start being a professional. Not everyone is going to get along, that is just how it is. BUT people that do not get along or do not like each other must be and are professional with each other. When you are in medical school and beyond you will have much bigger things to worry about than rubbing people the wrong way. Why not be mature and apologize to all those people in your past. That may go a long way for your growth and maturity as well as gain you some respect. You are doing yourself a disfavor by whining about it on here.

Do you realize the likelihood of running into someone you know at the medical school(s) you are interviewing at is small, and that the likelihood of them being on the admissions committee is even smaller? Do you also realize that the opinions of the students on the admissions committee are more than likely not given the same weight as faculty who interview you?

Like I said earlier, you've either done something far more grave than you are letting on or you are being delusional.

i've never done anything grave. i did disagree with some people and had arguments with some. i hope they dont hold grudges the way i do...

As I read some of these threads it scares me that some of these individuals may be my colleagues someday.

If you are serious about medical school then it is time to grow up and start being a professional. Not everyone is going to get along, that is just how it is. BUT people that do not get along or do not like each other must be and are professional with each other. When you are in medical school and beyond you will have much bigger things to worry about than rubbing people the wrong way. Why not be mature and apologize to all those people in your past. That may go a long way for your growth and maturity as well as gain you some respect. You are doing yourself a disfavor by whining about it on here.

why should i apologize when it's not my fault? you said people have conflicts urself...so putting it behind and not holding onto it should be the key