For all the people who are saying rad onc market is improving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe we should be trained as clinical oncologists. We should be able to give concurrent chemo and immuno in the nonmetastatic setting. This is our best way forward, but the med oncs will never give this part of their turf up.

It’ll take years to put together soenthing like that even though major centers of training already have all the tools that their disposal.

And it’s not because it isn’t feasible, it’s pure politics. No one is willing to take it on because it doesn’t pay to go against the grain.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this a year or 2 ago. I’d do IM then oncology fellowship. That’s 5 years. Then if you still want to do rad onc then do the 4 year residency and locum during residency. Total of 9 years with potential to make 150k during last 4 years if you pick a cushy enough residency. Also, if you were dual boarded and in the perfect situation you could actually own a center and capture technical component easier then if just rad onc boarded
I think it would be a little problematic to do two residencies. Although nowadays would more likely fly. LOVE the idea.

Reactions: 1 user
You folks are so helpful. And much kinder than the people I encountered when asking for advice / thoughts from my predecessors in the EM threads. 😂 bless you all 🙏🏼

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the succinct explanation! This makes total sense.

As a non-traditional student who previously worked for several years in the ER, my plan when entering medical school was to go into EM. Obviously that is not the wisest of options at the moment given the current climate of Emergency Medicine, so I want to ensure that I select a future specialty that is both gratifying and risk-averse when it comes to job security. I appreciate your insight!
It is impossible to predict job market conditions 10, 20, or 30 years hence.

One positive trial for proton therapy in prostate or breast cancer, and rad onc could get red hot competitive again, just like the IMRT glory days.

Thanks for the reply! Are future job prospects your primary reason for recommending this route? It certainly still interests me deeply so I am not opposed in the least. :)

You... listen to GFunk.

Do not underestimate the depth of despair you will feel when you get ghosted by places like Laredo, Texas or Jonesboro, Arkansas.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

One positive trial for proton therapy in prostate or breast cancer, and rad onc could get red hot competitive again, just like the IMRT glory days.
Not at 190 grads a year. Not never

Reactions: 1 users
I believe we should be trained as clinical oncologists. We should be able to give concurrent chemo and immuno in the nonmetastatic setting. This is our best way forward, but the med oncs will never give this part of their turf up.
I think dual boarded in oncology sounds great on paper, but I have only met one person in the last 20 years who actually did it. There must be some reason so few do it. I know that laziness or lack of brain power, especially among the last 2 decades of trainees, is not the cause. Training fatigue maybe?

It is hard to go back to being a resident once you get out and make a decent salary, buy a house, raise a family and start paying off student loans. It's even harder if you have to go through the match again and potentially get uprooted.

If you do get through the med onc fellowship, there will be a great temptation to specialize in just one organ system, and also narrow to either rad onc or just med onc at that point. It is very hard to keep up with all the new med onc drugs coming nowadays unless one subspecializes to one or two organ sites.

I guess you could be a lung rad onc and lung med onc at the same time, but unless you build your own center, or join a mega department, very few people are looking to hire a single FTE who is both a rad onc and med onc for the same disease site.

Has anyone on here ever actually gone back for residency or fellowship in a non-rad onc program? What was it like?

You think the proton breast and prostate data will move our field forward?

Dream on. All movement is towards 5 treatments or less and hard to make protons work with only 5 treatments

Reactions: 3 users
Dream on. All movement is towards 5 treatments or less and hard to make protons work with only 5 treatments
Let him enjoy his particle religion and proselytizing

Dance Flowers GIF by A24

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With 4/20 coming up, some of you folks are smoking some very good stuff. Share with others. Cheers!

• Haha
I remember the last time I torrented something.... that was before I even was making a resident's salary. Remarkable to think of an attending radiation oncologist still torrenting
They've taken a lot of stuff offline entirely (so much for "The Long Tail"), so I know a few people who torrent just to be able to watch one of those old shows/movies.

I remember the last time I torrented something.... that was before I even was making a resident's salary. Remarkable to think of an attending radiation oncologist still torrenting
i rember buying some descrambler box to watch free cable in residency and then being embarrassed by an attending in front of the department

• Wow
They've taken a lot of stuff offline entirely (so much for "The Long Tail"), so I know a few people who torrent just to be able to watch one of those old shows/movies.
Like how else can you watch “Parker Lewis Can’t Lose”???

Lol. Virtue signaling are we?

The ultra-rich content owners and actors salute your contribution. Their homes in Malibu and Private Jets don't pay for themselves you know.
Channing Tatum Captain GIF

Last edited:
i rember buying some descrambler box to watch free cable in residency and then being embarrassed by an attending in front of the department
Lol. Most Indian - Americans (others??) I know above a certain age use IPTV as a cheater box. Incredible how much content is “freely” available.

Ever order subway coop
Lol. Most Indian - Americans (others??) I know above a certain age use IPTV as a cheater box. Incredible how much content is “freely” available.
i bought it from an Indian resident who was unbelievably wealthy